Forums Latest Members

Advice on possible purchase - Omega 18k Seamaster Aqua Terra w/Mother-of-Pearl Diamond Dial

1. lando Aug 4, 2013

My wife spotted these two Aqua Terras.

I myself am more of a vintage guy, so if there is knowledge around, i am keen on learning here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:enPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.chrono24.ch/omega/seamaster-aquaterra-automatic-18k-gold-boxpaper-54-diamonds--id2467594.htm?dosearch=false&gender=1402&manufacturerIds=187&maxAgeInDays=0&movementTypes=1&picnum=0&resultview=list&searchexplain=false&sortorder=0&tab=details&urlSubpath=/omega/index.htm&watchCategories=301&watchTypes=U&SETLANG=en_CH&SETCURR=USD

To me it looks as if it is the same model (@ebay it is described as 38mm diameter, i doubt that).

The one on chrono24 seems to be in better condition, or is it?

Are the hairlines described on the ebay-one something to worry about?

What about originality? (yes i know, more photos would be welcome, at least from the one on chrono24)

What do you think about the prices?

Thank you very much and best regards, Andy

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 5, 2013

I'll only comment on the cracked dal - MOP is very fragile and often damaged by watchmakers that don't know what they are doing - usually happens when removing hands when servicing the watch. Even a non-diamond MOP dial is going to be expensive, and the last one I bought for a quartz Omega was nearly $400. With diamonds that is one expensive dial to replace. Personally I would pass on the one with the damaged dial.

Cheers, Al

lando likes this.
  3. lando Aug 6, 2013

Thank you Al, we will definitely pass on the one with the hairlines on the dial.

It is Cal. 2520 movement. The infos I found are showing, that it is based on an ETA caliber. Pretty cheap one inside such an expensive watch, i think. Are there other opinions?

Thanks and best regards, Andy

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 6, 2013

Based on the ETA 2000-1. Small and potentially finicky movement. I don't see them often, but have serviced a few and if they are going to have issues it will be with the automatic winding/power reserve.

Omega does have several "upgrades" that can be done to improve things on this specific caliber.

Cheers, Al