Forums Latest Members

Advice on Planet Ocean purchase

1. Joem20 May 1, 2019

Afternoon,

This is currently advertised with a price of £3750. And I am seriously considering buying it.

Description contains the following:

With original box, papers and certificates.
    Automatic movement
    600m water resistant
    Case size 45.5mm
    4 years old and worn only a couple of times.
    Watch in as-new condition less a few blemishes on the clasp
    Kept in a watch winder

This is the watch that started my obsession with Omega and I think I'm going to have to have one at some point in my life.

I would welcome comments on:
    The price for its age and condition?
    Whether its genuine or not, which is major concern with it being a private sale? And been such a novice.
    Any other relevant information you may feel would aid me in my search for this watch?

Thanks very much, Joe s-l1600.jpg s-l16001.jpg s-l16003.jpg s-l16007.jpg s-l16020.jpg

2. boraxman May 1, 2019

Looks awesome!

3. Bernardino May 1, 2019

Have you checked pre-owned websites like watchfinder for a price comparison?

Have you tried one on, maybe not exact same model but same size and depth? I only ask as I had the Liquid metal version and while it’s a great watch I ended up trading it as it was too big!

You could ask the seller for a pic of the serial number to match the cards.

4. Joem20 May 1, 2019

Yes seems about right to me, but didn’t know if they were overpriced to start with, or whether that particular version should be a different value, etc, etc.

Yes i have tried one on, and i know exactly what you mean, but i am that type of person. If i have something in mind nothing else will suffice, despite the pitfalls of its size. Stupid i know but, i really want it.

Thanks,

5. Joem20 May 2, 2019

Any more thoughts before i commit to buying it? Thanks in advance

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 2, 2019

Search “8900 planet ocean” for comparable prices.

I own a 3313 Planet Ocean Chrono also 45.5 and love it. I had the option for an 8900 but felt it rode to high on the wrist for me. It’s a personal thing.

778B00C7-D03D-470F-86C3-B761794CBF0F.jpeg

drhombus24 likes this.
  7. Joem20 May 3, 2019

WOW, that looks great, and well set with the shirt. Makes me want one even more.

8. boraxman May 3, 2019

You gonna get it?

9. Joem20 May 3, 2019

I don’t know, the thing holding me back is. It’s a private sale guy wants cash or BACS, it 200 mile away. It’s originally from abroad. I just don’t want to end up with a replica, worthless and cashless. I don’t know what to do. If I wasn’t bald I would be pulling my hair out.

10. drhombus24 May 3, 2019

If it helps, every single one of the 7 omegas I’ve gone though have been private sales. As long as you do your research before you buy and meetup in a public place, you should be alright.

Try to see if you can do better on the price, especially if you have to drive 200 miles.

From what I see it looks completely authentic.

11. Joem20 May 3, 2019

Thanks for the advice, although I’m at a loss what to ask if anything now. He has original receipt from Gibraltar I assume, as that where it was bought. The cards that are in the pictures. I don’t know what else to look for other then obvious mistakes which might not be so obvious to me. Stuff about the helium escape valve been below the no. 10 marker and the omega logo not being a separate piece of metal as a logo. Thing is a guy at work has a replica one i was looking at today and it looked very genuine to me. Scarily genuine. Other then the sub dials had a swirly pattern to them. I’m tempted to wait for one i can buy in shop. Wish I could take someone with me to verify it.

12. Joem20 May 3, 2019

Oh no found another one now a year newer, from a dealer, for £3995. And it’s 15 miles closer.