Forums Latest Members
  1. sirish19 Dec 3, 2015

Hi All,

I picked up a '68 Speedmaster Pro transitional earlier this year and need to send it for an overhaul. I am sure that this question has been asked many times but I wanted to ask the experts advice on things to watch out for when sending it for service. The watch seems to be keeping very good time but when I use the chrono function, the chrono second hand jumps back about 5 seconds. It doesn't do this every time but about 50% of the time.

I took it to the Omega service center here in Tokyo today and they said that the oil was a bit dried up and an overhaul would fix the problem. They quoted me about $500 and a turnaround time of about 4 weeks and they would do the service here in Tokyo.

I asked them if they could do the service without changing the hands and dial and they said that they would normally change the hand and that it might be necessary if they were damaged/worn or became unusable after disassembly for the overhaul, however, they could try to keep everything original if I insisted strongly. Should I trust them?

Also, are there any other parts that I should insist that they not replace? When I posted pics at the time I bought the watch, someone suggested that the pushers and crown might be replacements. Can anyone confirm if these are original or replacements? If they are replacements, would it make a difference if they were replaced again? Looking at the pics below, are there any parts here that Omega service would likely try to replace that I should insist that they not?

Also, would they normally polish the case and bracelet as a normal part of the service? I understand that is also something that I insist that they should not do.

Finally, if the service center overhaul is going to ruin the collectability of my watch, is there anywhere that you guys would recommend? I live in Tokyo but will be in Dallas and San Francisco in early January. Would there be anyplace where I could send it and have the service done and be ready to pick up in person in Jan?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Stephen
    DSC_0895.jpg DSC_0873.JPG DSC_0879.JPG DSC_0890.jpg DSC_0893 (1).jpg DSC_0898.jpg DSC_0899.jpg

Etp095, JohnSteed, lando and 2 others like this.
  2. abrod520 Dec 3, 2015

I would insist that they change no visible parts (movement parts should be replaced if not repairable) and no polish, and get their promise in writing so you'll have some recourse should your watch come back with a Luminova dial and handset....

Crown and bezel look to be replacement parts already anyway but they're in good condition.

3. travisrock Dec 3, 2015

this,

and a side note- the patina / condition of your hands/dial is astounding ::love:: bravo!

4. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 3, 2015

Seems to me a "simple lube and oil change" is all that required if every thing is intact when the remove the case-back - Nothing Else.

5. tomo Dec 3, 2015

That patina/lume is amazing.

sirish19 likes this.
  6. repoman Dec 3, 2015

You have a gorgeous Speedy there!! I'm curious about this "jump back 5 seconds" you speak of, and can you provide more details? When you reset the chrono, the chrono hand (IF YOU LOOK REALLY CAREFULLY) will normally reset past 12 o'oclock, the hand will very very quickly fly back to around the 10 o'clock hour mark, and then come back up to rest at 12o'clock... its almost faster than you can see. Is this what is happening on your watch? Or is the chrono hand not fully resetting and coming to rest at 12oclock?

disclaimer, I'm not a watchmaker, just curious :D

JohnSteed and sirish19 like this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 3, 2015

Beautiful watch. A service should take care of the mechical issues.

I would also ask them not to change visible parts, though if they insist, you could always ask them to carefully remove them and return them to you with the watch. They usually will return changed parts anyway.

An alternative might be to get a local watchmaker to carefully remove the nice bits and install new bits (acquired from ebay - cheap crappy stuff would do) then send it off for servicing... this very well be the only way to get an Omega a full service down the road (more so for 321's maybe) if swatch group were ever to change their policy on certified independents....

And $500 and 4 week turn around is pretty awesome. I can't get back a vintage speedy in less than 8 weeks, often more, in my neck of the woods, and it usually costs almost double that!

On the pushers, yeah, looks like the lower one is a bit odd. I'd have it changed and not look back.

sirish19 likes this.
  8. flyingout Dec 3, 2015

That price surprised me. But Omega quotes 630 CHF ($633) for an 861. So local servicing and strong dollar may skew the conversion from JPY.

Oh yeah, NICE ::censored:: WATCH.

JohnSteed and sirish19 like this.
  9. sirish19 Dec 3, 2015

Thanks guys, appreciate all of the feedback. Here is a quick video showing the jump back. As you can see, it is definitely not part of the normal set.

Cheers,

Stephen

Jwit and Etp095 like this.
  10. sirish19 Dec 3, 2015

Also, on the price, I believe they charge another 5,000 yen if the watch is on a bracelet but mine came with a non-original bracelet that looked to be brand new so I'll leave the strap on here when I take it for the overhaul.

11. gouverneur Dec 7, 2015

Really nice lume on that, what a beautiful watch.

sirish19 likes this.
  12. arkstfan Dec 7, 2015

Gently worn :)

Gorgeous watch.

sirish19 likes this.
  13. bwawryk10 Dec 8, 2015

Great topic for new buyers. Would love to see the watch when it returns!:)

sirish19 likes this.
  14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 8, 2015

It looks like this watch has already had a go in the Omega (or similar) workshop, judging by the replacement bezel.
    I suggest you ask for a full service, no parts changed, as your crown and pushers look good, and probably were changed at last service.
    In my experience the workshops in Asia will do as you ask.
    It is just important you make sure you communicate that wish, clearly and slowly, repeating until you feel happy the people have understood you clearly. (Like many experiences in Asia - or else they might replace everything and shout, "look! Like new!" which has happened to me).

15. JohnSteed Dec 8, 2015

+ 100

Movement service only. See spacefruit's comment above as well

sirish19 likes this.
  16. Cal_321 Dec 8, 2015

Looks great!

sirish19 likes this.
  17. sirish19 Dec 8, 2015

Thanks everyone. Quick update on this. Still a little nervous that Omega would end up replacing the hands or something, I took the watch by another service shop that did a great job on the overhaul with my Rolex GMT II to see what they would say. I trust that they would do a movement service only and they quoted me around $400 plus parts if any were necessary. Sounds pretty good although they were also worried that they might potentially damage the hands a little bit when removing. Omega said the same thing.

My question is, do you guys think Omega's service would be any more skilled at removing the hands and servicing than an independent and would it be worth the extra $200, or do you think (based on the condition of the hands), that any competent service could handle the job? I know that can really vary depending on skill but just wondering if anyone had any insight on this.

18. Speedmasterfan88 Dec 8, 2015

Maybe @Horlogerie can answer that question for you. His answer here https://omegaforums.net/threads/and...atch-to-omega-for-service-is-a-problem.32472/ helped me a lot, as I was also told that removing the hands could be a problem by an independent watchmaker.

Schmedsc and sirish19 like this.
  19. sirish19 Dec 8, 2015

Thanks. That is useful information. It sounds like his watch got screwed up by Omega though, not an independent. but I can see how the hands could be damaged easily with removal. I am almost afraid to take it anywhere now...

20. italy1861 Dec 8, 2015

Sounds like the guy you used for your Rolex is up for the task. Just have a chat with him about your concerns before he starts. I agree with the advise others have given you, don't change a thing visually. Complete movement service/repair and clean the case. Beautiful Speedy!

Larry S and sirish19 like this.