Forums Latest Members
  1. smish May 13, 2016

Hi guys, so I'm relatively new to the watch game and was looking at getting my first vintage omega and just wanted some help. I am currently looking at these two because they are local, I'm from Australia and the AUD is very weak at the moment so trying to stay local for now. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys.

This is the first one, there isn't much details about it besides the pictures really.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Omega-Se...478501?hash=item3f629e4265:g:tXgAAOSw8vZXMBZwPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The second one, major concern here would be what the seller stated regarding the quartz movement.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-...983484?hash=item43ee2186fc:g:Cl4AAOSwiYFXLfM1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks again guys.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 13, 2016

If you google the number inside the case back of the first watch, you'll be able to find information about the watch. The second seller has no idea what he's talking about. Unless the second was a prototype ;), there weren't quartz watches in the early 60s.

smish likes this.
  3. cimo May 13, 2016

Have you decided it is a Quartz watch you want? I feel like there is a lot of missing info here. What is your budget, what are you looking for in terms of movement, size, style, etc.

Seems like a fine watch if that era Quartz is what you are looking for. I have a feeling most vintage collectors here stick to mechanical varieties, with the exception of some historical or interesting electronic watches such as the accutron. I would encourage you to look around and read as much as possible before committing to a purchase.

GuiltyBoomerang and smish like this.
  4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 13, 2016

Hi smish and welcome!
    The first is in bad shape, dial shows corrosion and movement confirms a rough life. Watch is filthy, with more cheese than Wisconsin.
    This is not a special watch to sink a bunch of money into!
    If it's not your Grandfathers, move on.

Second watch is quartz and not followed here much, if you are in love, send Tom @Tom Dick a note or pm as he is the leading authority on quartz that I know of.
    Please don't be offended, but he is the only one I know of that gives a rat's rectum about quartz except ulackfocus, on occasion.

I recommend identifying your favorite styles on the wruw thread and then focusing on a specific model or perhaps checking out the For Sale section for a nice one.
    There are serious collectors improving their inventory or changing their focus and some super deals can be found there.

Plan on spending $300-500 US for a nice vintage mechanical that will last another 50 years with proper service.

We are glad to have you here and are glad that you ask first!

GuiltyBoomerang, smish and TNTwatch like this.
  5. GBTRIUMPH May 13, 2016

I have a mix of mechanical, automatic, Kinetic, Eco-drive, and other quartz watches in my collection. My daughter has more quartz but still a mix of everything. My wife likes my grandfather's Longines mechanical and wears it once a week...but otherwise it is quartz or Eco-drive. So don't think there aren't quartz watch people in this forum.

I would do as quick a check on availability of a new crystal for that quartz...and if readily available, snag it. I'd rather have a good looking vintage 70's Omega on my wrist than a new Fossil, Seiko, or Citizen.

smish and OMGRLX like this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 14, 2016

The first one has been sold, but I wouldn't have bought it.

The second quartz is from Omega's dark years of quartz work and this one is unattractive, has technical and cosmetic issues and has a rather rough engraving.

I wouldn't touch it.

smish likes this.
  7. lillatroll May 14, 2016

I share a love of quartz watches, well at least those made by omega. You will not find many on here who are interested, which is a good thing because you can pick up pristine examples for next to nothing. Just as good although not quartz are the F300 series. The technology was developed by bulova and is used in spaceship instruments and satellites. Don't listen to anyone who says that quartz watches are rubbish, popular no, but still qood quality. Having said that, the one on sale is not from the 60s but from the 80s, which was not a great period for omega watches. Try looking for a megahertz from the early 70s if you want a quartz watch.

Edited May 14, 2016
    smish likes this.
  8. smish May 14, 2016

Oh wow thanks for all the help guys. So I won't be getting either after reading what you guys have said. I'm still new to this and I feel that I am leaning more towards mechanical/automatic ones, I'm not too fussed on movement or size. My budget is around 400-600 AUD as I am still a student, this is the wrong kind of hobby to be getting myself into isn't it haha. Do you guys have any suggestions on what watches I should be looking at?

Thanks again

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  9. lillatroll May 14, 2016

Have a think about what kind of watch you want first, a dress watch, a diver, something in between? No matter what your budget is, when you see a watch you love your budget will probably become flexible. The second thing is that your watch will probably/definately need a service so you have to factor that into the equation. You should spend some time looking and save some more money. For me, the aqucaistion of knoweldge and the hunt, is the most enjoyable part of this hobby, and it is also the cheapest element. When I started getting into watches I wanted to buy everything I saw but after a while and a bit more knoweldge my tastes become more refined and it is easier to decide what to buy and what not to buy.

10. smish May 14, 2016

I just want something simple really so leaning more towards dress watches. Yeah I was going to say that aswell, I'd be willing to spend a little more on something nice. So do you reckon there's not much point in getting an okay watch and that I should just save up more and just get a nice one. What about restored watches should I stay clear from those?

11. lillatroll May 14, 2016

My experience is that when I have seen fantastic examples of a watch it is instantly more desirable. That is not to say that many watches, with a bit of tlc won t turn out looking fantastic. You might find an ok watch for a certain price but when you factor in sercice and new parts you might have been able to get a really nice example for less money. I had been looking for a seamaster f300 cone for many months, over a year in fact, a poor example typically costs between 150 and 250 pounds. A reasonable one for about 3-5 hundred pounds, then there are the chancers who are asking for upto a 1000 pounds for a nice example. After nearly a year I managed to get what is known as a new old stock (NOS ) which means it has never been worn and still had the plastic on it and tags for 400 pounds. The important thing is to be patient and once you have found a model,you like spend time researching it and looking at different examples so that you get a feel for what is a good example and what is over polished and thus undesirable for many collectors. If you look on the for sale section here, you will find many good honest watches, and at honest prices. No one on here is going to risk their reputation by knowingly describing a watch incorrectly or trying to pass off a turd dressed as a king.

ahartfie and smish like this.
  12. smish May 14, 2016

oh wow thanks for that, yeah I'm not in any hurry to get a watch or anything so I'm just going to wait it out and eventually the right watch will come up and ill check out the for sale section on here aswell. What are some key things that I should be looking at before purchasing a watch?

13. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 14, 2016

smish likes this.
  14. smish May 14, 2016

15. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 14, 2016

Much, much nicer than the last ones you looked at.
    1953-54 bumper with what looks like a nice dial. Better photos needed to be sure, polished a bit, but looks ok.
    354 is a nice movement but needs a service so plan on $150 or so after the sale, maybe more if any parts are needed.

Don't get too carried away bidding, these are for sale here from time to time at a good price and the non-Omega cased examples aren't quite as desirable..
    I wouldn't go over $500 without a guarantee or some better photos and only if you really like it, these wear a little small on the wrist imo..

I have one of similar age, different color, that says hello.

crop.jpg

Edited May 14, 2016
  16. smish May 15, 2016

thanks for the info, I decided to pass on it and wait till I gain more knowledge before pulling the trigger on any watches. Wow I'm really liking the black dials on the omegas, they're so nice ::love::

17. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 15, 2016

Waiting is a good idea but be wary of black dials, these have frequently been repainted and it is rare for a redialed watch to be collectible / a wise long term investment.

18. smish May 15, 2016

what are the key things to look at to determine if a watch has been redialed besides it looking too new for what it is? I'm looking at this watch and the M in automatic looks very straight compared to what I've seen in most omega watches which have the slanted M's would that be a sign of a redial.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gents-Omega...894375?hash=item1a132d6f27:g:OwUAAOSwYmZXL2k1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

19. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 15, 2016

You could have given me an easy one! To me it is a tough call.
    It looks correct, though I am working off a tablet and I'm not 100% sure. There is no clear picture of the omega automatic font and for me at least I cannot call it one way or the other with complete confidence with those photos. I would be interested in others' opinions.
    As for how to spot them, keep looking, and keep researching. Sometimes they are obvious and on others there can be two pages of discussion without consensus.

20. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 15, 2016

2016-05-04 005.JPG
    You have to be patient. The search is half the fun. I got this Geneve 135.041 (1969) on an Omega stainless bracelet for $250 US
    This type of watch can be sporty or dressy depending on the strap. On a black Croc strap this watch will look completely different.

smish and peatnick like this.