Forums Latest Members
  1. MikeMan2727 May 20, 2018

Hi everyone,

I took a bit of a gamble online the other day and was hoping to get some opinions and advice. When I saw this watch, it was listed without the reference number or caliber in the description so bidding was not very active.

I know that it is a redial, but I saw the value in the nice large case (35mm) and desirable movement which looks to be in pretty good shape.

I am wondering how difficult would it be to find a dial for this one. Is this a watch that could be worth sending to the Vintage Department at Omega if they have any service dials/could re-do this dial? Does anyone have an extra laying around? :D

Perhaps some of the Chronometre experts could chime in: @mac_omega @cicindela @MSNWatch @Tony C. . My apologies if I left anyone out!

dial.jpg crowncase.jpg back.jpg mvmt.jpg

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 20, 2018

Hi Mike,

First, it is nearly impossible to find a genuine, original dial for these models. Omega certainly won't provide one, and they only tend to appear on the market as orphaned gold cased versions (and rarely in that form).

Omega could refinish the dial, but in my view, it will not be likely to look consistent with the original. If I owned the watch, I would choose to send it to a top-class independent re-dialer, and hope for the best.

Regards,

Tony

Dan S likes this.
  3. Rman May 20, 2018

Hi Mike,
    I was in the exact same position a few years ago with a 2410, when I naively thought that Omega would do a nice dial restoration for me.
    Although my dial (redial) was never an Omega design, Bienne basically said they would only reprint the dial exactly as it looked, and not make it "correct."
    Why they maintain this policy is frustrating to say the least considering they have a museum to reference.
    I ended up trading the watch off to someone who knew a of a great German redialer, after looking for a couple years and not having any luck finding one.

4. MikeMan2727 May 20, 2018

Thanks for these thoughts! That's kind of what I figured when I purchased this watch. It's a bit odd to me that the case, movement, and hands look so good and they decided to re-finish the dial.

Either way, I figure the price I paid ($870) was worth the risk in case I can find a dial at some point down the line. To my eyes the re-dial isnt the worst I've seen so at least I can enjoy the watch how it is for the time being.

Did the German redialer do a good job, @Rman ?

5. Dan S May 20, 2018

Very desirable movement, and a worthwhile project. Some other things to consider. The hands look too long, and may be replacements. It looks like there might be a repair to the case near the crown tube, but it could be a reflection in the photo.

6. MikeMan2727 May 20, 2018

Thanks Dan. I think we might be seeing a reflection from the crown in that photo, but I will post better photos once it arrives later this week. I just wanted to get a head start on some advice in case anyone had a spare dial sitting in a drawer :)

I think the hands are actually correct. Below is a photo from a post on these forums in 2016. I think the re-dial on my watch makes it look like the hands are too long. With a proper dial, the minute and seconds hand go all the way to the edge.

229276-506b1e4060353eecdd2ed017e58bb549.jpg

Dan S likes this.
  7. Dan S May 20, 2018

Looking more closely, I totally agree about the reflection. And indeed, those hands look like they would be a perfect fit for that dial.

MikeMan2727 likes this.
  8. mac_omega May 20, 2018

Sorry to disagree,

the movement is not in good shape - it has lost a lot of its copper-coloured plating

The centre wheel and the drive wheel over the third wheel are wrong replacements, the ratchet wheel has a nasty scratch

the price is about right going with the condition but is not a bargain

TNTwatch, connieseamaster and Dan S like this.
  9. Rman May 20, 2018

Like I said the guy I traded was going to attempt to use them, haven’t spoken to him in a while.

PM coming with info.

10. omegastar May 21, 2018

Impossible n’est pas français...

9BB7EC1D-07AA-437D-9B8E-3DE71DA10443.jpeg CA742485-AD94-4471-905F-185B2CF6ADEF.jpeg 45DEFE39-9627-4C06-AC1C-0FA3AAC96150.jpeg

MikeMan2727 likes this.
  11. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member May 21, 2018

MikeMan2727 and Dan S like this.
  12. omegastar May 21, 2018

Hi Bill, the diameter is 29,6 mm.
    IMHO it looks like a service dial with a later style. I bought it a long time ago in a dial lot and have never seen the watch.
    Mounir

13. Franco Jun 2, 2018

Sorry, that's not original - a later redial. Have a look on the back

In absence of a good dial, a good bargain for somebody (like Bill) who has the dial ready to use.

BWs
    Franco

14. TNTwatch Jun 2, 2018

Agreed that this is a redial, but a look at the back wouldn't help much because the dial furniture appears to not have been removed since you can clearly see the paint smears all over them. ;)

15. ulackfocus Jun 2, 2018

Add me to the list of members who agree that omegastar's dial is refinished. It fails my first test - the SWISS MADE is centered between the words, instead of the entire phrase being centered on the bottom.

16. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jun 2, 2018

An original dial should not have Swiss Made there.

17. Franco Jun 2, 2018

Yes, what I meant is that in some cases - with an extremely good redial, with signs of age etc - a look at the back helps to decide by finding the paint smears that you mention. Sometime I have seen soldered new feet, even just glued in etc Also to see if applied indices have been recently taken out and put back (the grinding of excess shows fresh metal ).

Finding a clean back of the dial with the appropriate dial manufacturer's inscription, and an evenly oxydised appearance is always very reassuring.

BWs
    Franco

TNTwatch likes this.