Forums Latest Members
  1. nye307 Jan 27, 2013

Hi all,

So I've been creeping on the forum for about a month looking for info on purchasing a vintage timepiece and eventually settled on a 1953 .344 bumper with what I deemed a clean looking movement from a reputable seller within my price range. It just came in the mail and is amazing! Keeps excellent time (blows my mind for something 60 years old) and has a beautiful crisp sound to it. My question is regarding the sound the weight in the winding mechanism makes. There is a slight sliding sound as it moves and little clicking when the weight hits the bounds of its motion. Is this how these watches are meant to operate and normal or should I take it to be serviced like immediately? I suspect lubrication might be in order and I would imagine that sooner is better than later if I'm to be a proper custodian of history?

Best,
    Nye

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Automatic-Cal-344-17j-YGF-Vintage-c-1953-/271138928964?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=%2BTZftVSxUC48iZ6jiDeMyb4j5j0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 27, 2013

The sliding sound is likely due to a worn axle on the winding weight and or a worn jewel. I've marked a photo from the listing showing rub marks where the winding weight is rubbing against the inside of the case back. The clicking sound is likely caused by the same issue. This is not a lubrication issue. The watch should have not been sold with this type of issue.

Omega04.JPG

pitpro likes this.
  3. nye307 Jan 27, 2013

How unfortunate. I suppose this is why I started with a cheaper watch and didn't dive right in to serious collectibles. And I'm assuming prohibitively expensive to fix? The seller offers to fix watches in house. Should I pursue that avenue or get the refund? I really like it otherwise.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 27, 2013

Between this movement issue and the rather poor redial, I'd take the refund and chalk this experience up as an inexpensive education.

I think for the money you paid, you can get a very nice vintage Omega with an decent original dial. Maybe even on this forum:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-omega-model-6249.3120/#post-40045

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

5. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 27, 2013

The sliding sound is likely due to a worn axle on the winding weight and or a worn jewel. I've marked a photo from the listing showing rub marks where the winding weight is rubbing against the inside of the case back. The clicking sound is likely caused by the same issue. This is not a lubrication issue. The watch should have not been sold with this type of issue.

Great Tutorial! Thanks.
    Does this one have the same issue?
    13671632-9.JPG

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 27, 2013

Concur. That redial is pretty crude, and the case has been polished into abject submission.

7. nye307 Jan 27, 2013

I'll shoot for the refund then. The 100% positive feedback indicated to me that the seller is probably pretty liberal with granting refunds and was a major factor in the decision to go with this one. Guess I should have creeped on the forum for a little bit longer.

For education's sake what tips you guys off to the redial? I can see it in person but in the pictures I couldn't. I'm guessing the markings on the face aren't precise? You can actually see brushstrokes in person. Hopefully I can do a better job the second time around!

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 27, 2013

Well, for one, the seller's listing states it is a refinished dial!:whistling:

I'll leave the Omega-specific stuff to the mavens, but in general, the dial markings have a lack of definition that original markings, which are precise and fine, do not. Look at MSNWatch's For Sale listings - his photography is particularly good for dial details. You should have your redial radar on extra high gain for any black dial, as these were relatively rare in vintage watches, buyers like 'em and if the seller's going to redial, he might as well make a few extra bucks doing it in black.

9. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 27, 2013

The lack of Swiss or Swiss Made under the 6 o'clock marker as well as the uneven minute markings makes this one a redial. The fonts are sloppy and not precise as well.

When you get the refund we can help you find a nicer example. :thumbsup:

10. nye307 Jan 27, 2013

Ha! I guess that's a dead giveaway, huh?

Thanks for the advice everyone, this seems to be a very constructive and welcoming forum. I'm looking forward to being a part of it.

11. nye307 Feb 1, 2013

Shipped the watch back a few days ago, seller is giving a full refund. $10 doesn't seem too steep a price for a lesson in vintage watch purchasing.

I'm thinking of expanding my search for other brands. Longines and Hamilton are looking pretty nice (though I definitely have a soft spot for the Omegas). Does anyone have suggestions for something in the $200 < $350 range?

12. AJDay Feb 1, 2013

You can definitely find very nice examples of vintage Hamiltons for $100 - $250, and there is a mind-bending variety of models. I will probably be putting a couple of mine up for sale in the near future to fund my new, more expensive, pursuits...

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

Many eBay watch dealers say watch has been serviced when it really has not. Sometimes it is just an outright lie, sometimes what they mean is the movement was taken out and the jewels and pivot points have been lubricated. Certainly better then nothing but that is not saying much.
    True servicing entails a large host of procedures: Disassembling the entire watch, bath cleaning each part, resetting the jewels to proper position, examining each part for wear and tolerance, reassembling the watch, adjusting the movement, calibrating the timing, cleaning the outside of watch. Al or Steve our pro watch maker would probably tell you something I am forgetting as I am giving you the simple version.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

IMO in your price range, I'd send Mike a PM and offer him $350 for this: http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-cal-550-seamaster.3255/

This one has been serviced recently, and when Mike says its been recently serviced, its been done properly.

Its a full rotor automatic too which is very wearable.

He initially wanted $500 for it and has gradually reduced to $375 but I think he'd take $350 if you made the offer. You want your first vintage Omega purchase to go well, and we do know he takes good care of people.

15. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 2, 2013

Love these picture tutorials! Thanks to you and Al for doing these!