Forums Latest Members
  1. j.allen Nov 29, 2018

My parameters are so wide open that it's almost pointless to ask for help, but here goes anyway. I have about 50 watches in my collection, virtually all vintage swiss mechanicals from 1940-1970. Some Omegas, Accutrons, as well as many WWII era military ordinance and style; some include Record, Helvetia, Doxa, Tissot, among others.

I haven't bought a watch in 3 years and I'd like a watch for work in healthcare. My requirements are brand new to 40 year old, $30-300, pref mechanical, but not required, 24hr, high contrast and visibility, dark dial, and case can be stainless, alloy, graphite, machined metal, 31 to 37mm, and a strap of canvas or leather. A rotating bezel could prove useful. I looked at the Seiko military with the 7s26 movements, but upon closer look they are not 24 hour, and they can't be wound. I was looking at new Marathon military watches, but read many reviews showing horrible durability after dropping them. I am also looking at Timex Expedition series. They are quartz, but they meet all my requirements. Being a fanatic though, I'd rather have something of a little more collectible. I'm looking at some vintage Marathons, Timex, Hamilton, and Seikos. I'm not asking for a watch that somebody knows of by reputation, but rather owns it and can give an enthusiastic endorsement. The 24 hour track and the case size are the two conditions etched in stone. The Hamilton Khaki is perfect, but I have two already.

They are hard to find, but Seiko/Alba fit the bill, I just know so little of them. I may get a Timex to hold me over- to stave off my craving til I find what I need.

2. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Nov 29, 2018

You would have to stretch your budget, but a lightly used Glycine Airman 18 or No. 1 Purist would just about fit the bill. Then again, given your military collection, your are probably aware of these. I own an Airman 18 and it's a nice timepiece.

If you were willing to compromise on case size, then Vostok Komandirskie 24hour models are within the price range. I don't own one, but for the money, it's not that much of a risk.

Edited Nov 29, 2018
    Waltesefalcon, ext1 and omg smstr like this.
  3. j.allen Nov 30, 2018

The Russian watches I find to be clunky and gaudy. I've always thought that Airman would be a cool piece to own, but as far as my needs in practical use it would be awkward. I'm going to look at US military military ordinance, or pick up another Khaki or RR approved watch.. I was hoping another doctor, nurse, pilot, or military man could give me a nod towards a timepiece he/she likes as an everyday banger.

4. Dan S Nov 30, 2018

Help me understand this statement. Except for price and the fact that they might be slightly more than 40 years old, it seems to me that a 1970s Airman fits your needs precisely. Why would it be awkward?

airman1.jpg

Edited Nov 30, 2018
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 30, 2018

300 dollars max, 24 hours/GMT and mechanical...

Yeah that’s going to be hard at 300...

This variant of the 6117 can be found in that price range if you hunt.

523FAE97-5518-4123-ADAB-ECAE5681F180.png

ext1 likes this.
  6. Millenary Watches Nov 30, 2018

Now that's wide criteria:D Casio and Seiko are always good alternatives that offer great bang for the buck.:thumbsup:

7. j.allen Jan 24, 2019

It's awkward because I can't read it! Lol.

8. Dan S Jan 24, 2019

You can't read it. Why? Because it's a 24hr watch?

Maybe you should explain what exactly you are looking for, including showing examples with actual photos, because your first post says that it should be 24hr (in boldface), but now it seems that you specifically do NOT want a 24hr watch.

Foo2rama likes this.