Forums Latest Members
  1. Stumpy1 Jul 23, 2018

Hi folks, I have a big birthday coming up next and I would like a good watch to celebrate it. My original thoughts were that as it will the 50th anniversary of the moon landings Omega will issue a anniversary Speedmaster, but I don’t think my budget would reach the asking price. So I had another thought, why not buy a vintage 1969 Omega (any model), this is how I have stumbled across this great forum and I’m hoping it will be the first in a collection, or should I maybe look at getting two watches for my money.

I have about £3500 to spend and I will be totally honest and admit that my knowledge on watches is weak, but I’m wanting to learn. Talking to friend at work he said that I should be careful of vintage watches that contain a lot of O-rings as they can perish and even turn into a tar like substance, this happened to his Speedmaster mkII.

So any advice on models to look for and the best place to find vintage Omegas for sale would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 23, 2018

3. time flies Jul 23, 2018

Congratulations on your upcoming birthday. Cool. A watch to celebrate.
    My thought would be for you to start reading all the various good stuff posted within this forum. Read about everything. Use the search engine when something particular hits you and learn more. If at this point you have decided on a speedmaster (which I hope, at this point, you have not) there are any number of choices available. With any watch you may be interested in decide between vintage and modern. It's an addiction and it goes on and on. Don't forget to think about service costs. Any mechanical watch will fail without servicing. The watch you settle on is important but equally so if not more so is the seller.

Have fun
    kfw

thekwaze and Stumpy1 like this.
  4. Vitezi Jul 23, 2018

5. thekwaze Jul 23, 2018

You've come to the right place to start with and I can echo the advice of the other replies.
    Don't rush, so you get the right one in the end and keep looking as you will probably be drawn to one you like in particular, then concentrate on that model.
    The search and the anticipation can be almost as good as actually buying the watch.
    I would try not to spend too much on the first one as I have found more expensive watches can be more difficult to sell when you want to buy another one....which you will!
    Personally I would go for a vintage model rather than a newer version as I have owned a few new watches in the past, and constantly worried about knocking or scratching them, the Omega Soyuz with meteorite dial on my photograph being one of them.
    Anyway congratulations on your birthday and best of luck with your search.

Stumpy1 likes this.
  6. MCC Jul 23, 2018

I can't better the advice already provided but would add that one factor you should consider is whether you intend the watch for occasional or everyday use. Equally are there any styles or functions that particularly appeal to you? That might help you narrow your search

Tansydot and Stumpy1 like this.
  7. Wivac Terribly special Jul 23, 2018

If you buy a Speedy you must let @ulackfocus know immediately.

Stumpy1 likes this.
  8. Stumpy1 Jul 23, 2018

Without sounding rude may I ask why?

9. Stumpy1 Jul 23, 2018

Thanks for the advice, it makes sense to try and build up some knowledge before making a major purchase, and thanks to you guys it looks like I have some enjoyable reading to do.

10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 23, 2018

It would be rude if you did let ulackfocus know. Please don't, he doesn't care.

11. Jerseyhammer Jul 24, 2018

Congratulations good solid choice just take your time before you comit as it’s your 1st. But it gets my vote

Stumpy1 likes this.