Forums Latest Members

Advice On How To Remove A Pendant Case Tube On A 165.024 Seamaster 300

1. maximilian g Jan 4, 2016

hi
    I have found a 60s 165 024 seamaster 300 case and the non screwdown pendant case tube is damaged at the end where it fits into the crown....
    I have managed to find a screwdown pendant case tube and a new screwdown crown to replace it.

Please may I have advice how to remove the pendant tube from the case. The replacement screw down case tube looks like it is pressure fitted as it appears smooth? if it can be removed is it a push fit for the replacement tube?
    I inherited lots of watch/ clock parts in boxes years ago please would someone let me know if there is a spacific tool to remove a tube.
    as the end is damaged should i cut the damaged bit of and then extract the remaining bit?
    The end is crushed by what looks like pliers?

Please help, advice would be most helpful.
    thanks.
    max
    ( sorry about my spelling im dyslexic)

Edited Jan 5, 2016
  2. maximilian g Jan 7, 2016

I have looked at cousins and there doesn't seem to be an omega extraction tool ?,but they do have rolex ones which i assume is the same principal?
    I will look at the pendant case tube removers and compare them to what ive got?

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 7, 2016

I suspect it is a push-in tube but I'm sure that @Archer will be along soon to let you know. He has built several of these up from new parts.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 8, 2016

if it has an external thread, it's a threaded tube, but if it is smooth on both ends, it's a press fit tube.

Press fit tubes can be removed using several methods, but I prefer using a small easy out tool that you thread counter clockwise into the portion of the tube that the crown normally screws onto, and then use a wrench to keep turning it CCW and it will extract the tube. If the tube has been put in place using Loctite, or worse epoxy, then this method might require the addition of heat to break the bond before trying to remove it. Even then it can be a bear of a job...

For dress watches, often the tubes can be pressed out from the inside using a tool designed for this purpose, but on a diver I would use the easy out.

The Rolex style case tube wrenches are only for Rolex splined tubes that thread into the case...

Cheers, Al

maximilian g likes this.
  5. maximilian g Jan 8, 2016

Thank you very much . Ill get one of those today.
    (no joy unfortunatly)

Please would somone be able to advise me where to get an easy out extractor and the size i would need.
    thanks
    max

Edited Apr 29, 2016