Forums Latest Members
  1. JDMdenon Apr 3, 2018

Hi,
    I've read the thread 'learn how to fish', which I found really helpful however I'm struggling to find anything on how to look at the movement. One of Desmonds write ups state that you should look for colour variation. What other signs should I look out for?
    What should the weight look like? Some weights I've seen appear dull were as others appear to have a high polished edge.

My watch repairer states that I should look out for scuffing on the movement or on the weight as this will be a clear sign of neglect of the watch. Just curious to know what scuffing would look like.

Look forward to your responses!

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 3, 2018

Top of the rotor will have scuff marks and inside of the case back will have circles to match

Here is a few nice movements from a few of my watches that are all the same matching colour. ( notice the crisp edge above "Omega watch co Swiss" on the rotor )

Constellation
    image.jpeg

Seamaster
    image.png image.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now from a thread I found by searching "worn rotor"
    ( notice different colour parts and scuffs above wording on rotor )

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-constellation-168-019-from-c-1969.69969/#post-880763

image.jpeg

Edited Apr 3, 2018
    JDMdenon likes this.
  3. JDMdenon Apr 3, 2018

This case-back seems have the swirls consistent from center to outer edge. But it does have an outline off the edge of the weight about half the way from the outer edge
    [​IMG]

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 3, 2018

Rotor wear is not the be all and end all of a nice watch. It may have been fixed a service or two ago or could be current.

You have to weigh up the whole watch as I have seen nice dials with rotor wear that I would still buy.
    Movements can be fixed but over polished cases and damaged dials can't ;)

JDMdenon likes this.
  5. JDMdenon Apr 3, 2018

Thanks very much, will read the thread. Still getting used to the forum so will check this thread out. Thanks for your advice

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 3, 2018

Honza and JDMdenon like this.