Forums Latest Members
  1. gminnj Jan 30, 2017

Hi folks, have been thinking about a GMT for a long time, and saw this one at a local shop this weekend.

No movement pics, and I don't know the shop well, so I'm flying a little blind. Any immediate reactions?

Thanks,

Glenn
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg FullSizeRender 4.jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

2. MaiLollo Jan 30, 2017

I love the faded bezel, however the case seems badly polished (in the sense that it has lost its sharpness) and the hands' patina does not match the dial, so they are new or have been relumed. It depends on the price, the hands are not a problem, I would say the case is a bit of a bummer but if you are OK with it's all good! Dial + bezel look awesome and correct

3. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jan 30, 2017

What is your experience with vintage and what are you looking for in the watch?

Are you looking for a vintage watch that matches parts to the particular year of production that it was made, i.e., a period correct watch? If so, we would need more information, such as the partial serial number (first couple of digits are enough), which is found at the 6 o'clock side of the case. The model number of the watch is at the 12 o'clock. The year production will let you know what dials were appropriate on those models/periods. GMTs, not including the gilt era (which this could easily be), could be about 8 different available versions.

For example, the pictures you loaded shows a sixties insert, which is a very nice and FAT font (known as mega fat font). A quick glance at the dial shows it to be near the end of the production (mid to late 70s) era for Rolex GMT 1675s.

I particularly think this watch is "very nice watch" and if the period correctness did not bother you, would make a great addition to any collection. I don't think it is over polished at all !

If you get additional information and want to learn more, post more details when you get them.

sxl2004 and George.A like this.
  4. calalum Jan 30, 2017

There are a lot of correct 1675s that come up FS on a regular basis, so buying one that is put together doesn't make sense to me.

blubarb, boat2dan and Darlinboy like this.
  5. gminnj Jan 30, 2017

Thanks for the replies and questions. As in my avatar pic, I have a '66 Speedmaster, and have a much better understanding of vintage Omega than Rolex. I have a modern Rolex Explorer, but no vintage Rolex yet.

This is billed as a '66 GMT, and the serial in the 1.39M range, which seems to be about right - yes? (It is obviously a 1675, as you know.) I don't have a specific year in mind, but I like the 1675s a lot.

Clearly it has been polished, but I could live with the case if the rest seemed appropriate to the period.

So I'm wondering why calalum implies that it is a frankenwatch? Is there consensus on that?

Thanks for any additional opinions (or questions)...

Glenn

6. calalum Jan 30, 2017

I am not using that term, but there are issues with that watch and parts being replaced. The hands alone would keep me away. Once I start seeing obvious replacement parts, it always gets me wondering what is not so obvious that I am missing. With so many good examples available on a regular basis from legit sellers, why mess with something less? JMHO.

7. gminnj Jan 30, 2017

Thanks again. Just to clarify, is it the color of the hands (so, possible reluming of them), or the hands themselves?

And are there other parts that seem replacement to you?

I'm trying to learn so appreciate the feedback. I really don't want to end up with a redialed watch with the wrong hands, bezel, etc., so hearing about the replacement parts you're seeing would be helpful.

Thanks.

8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 30, 2017

Whether you can live with the issues noted above only you can decide. If the answer is "yes" then it becomes a matter of price. It should come at a discount to an all-correct example in similar cosmetic condition.

I would not buy it at all.

blubarb likes this.
  9. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jan 30, 2017

Well, if the watch is a 1.39. Other than the insert, everything is wrong.
    You would need a gilt dial, hand set with small 24h hand. The bracelet is replaced as well (no biggie).
    Getting a proper dial and handset could set you back several thousand dollars..

blubarb likes this.
  10. Faz Jan 30, 2017

Hi

TTG sums it up quite well. This is a service dial and replacement hands, not period correct for the serial. The case is a big detractor. I'm 100% positive that it will bother you at one point ( after 1 day of wearing it). It's terribly overpolished.

The bezel insert is the only plus. If you want a very expensive beater, this is it. Absolutely no collector appeal. I have no doubt it's overpriced for what it is. Keep looking..

Cheers,

11. gminnj Jan 30, 2017

Thanks, very helpful (and now I know to stay away from the seller, too).

I am assuming the GMTs on HQ Milton are what they claim to be, so I'm going to take a closer look and compare and contrast. They have a '65 and a '66 for sale right now, so should be easy to see what's wrong with the pix above.

Thanks again.

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 30, 2017

Bobs Watches as well.

13. calalum Jan 30, 2017

And as mentioned above, there are several dial variations, different cases, bezel inserts, etc., so spend some time learning what is out there before diving in.

14. MPWATCH Watch Lover Jan 30, 2017

Utilize the search function of the forum to answer all the questions you have regarding this reference and what aspects vary the values etc. A wealth of well curated information on here and plenty of knowledgable gents to take care of any additional questions post research.

Enjoy the hunt!

Thomas

15. gminnj Jan 30, 2017

Thanks & will do. Have had a lot of fun in the vintage omega section and learned a lot, so I'm sure it will be the same in this dept.

16. brunik Jan 30, 2017

Looks to strange and not correct for me... the bezel looks ok but over polished case, the bracelet is a code K that is not correct as well, dial... depends of the serial of course... no way for me

17. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 30, 2017

Man, tough crowd on that case...it looks pretty fat to me. Yes the bevels are gone, but it is still fairly sharp. A trip to LAWW and it would be very nice.

Larry S likes this.
  18. gminnj Jan 30, 2017

Thanks, I could probably live with the case - as you say, it's been polished but still has an edge - and the incorrect bracelet wouldn't bother me, but personally I don't want a service dial/hands if I can avoid it.

After doing some homework, I'm suspecting that is a Mark V dial, when it should be a Mark I (somebody correct me if I'm wrong, of course).

I'm going to pass on this one, and thank the members for their guidance. Glad I asked before $$$...

19. Faz Jan 31, 2017

Have a peak around the lug holes on the crown side...To each his own but when you are paying thousands this is a little too far gone..

20. The_Walrus Feb 3, 2017

As mentioned above a gilt dial is what fits this case given a sn of 1.3m, not a mark 1.
    I would give HQ Milton a good look, no surprises with their offerings.
    Good luck with the search