Forums Latest Members
  1. jim- May 9, 2016

Hello,

I would like to ask your opinion on this Omega,
    I don't have much information from the seller which seems to be an old person.
    I tried to find some pictures of similar model but never exactly found one. there are always small differences like the way Seamaster is written especially the letter "r" or the cross hair or different hands. I am a bit confused and before going to get it, (close to 4000km round trip) your advice would greatly help. So to start do you think this is an authentic Omega?
    whats the approximate year? from what I've seen it seems around 1962?
    it seems to be a monobloc case? can it be different?
    and your general opinion knowing that the watch is for sale for 350 dollars.
    this would be my first Omega and its for my 30th birthday.

the pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks guys,

Jim

2. Finrod Felagund May 9, 2016

:eek: Fedex can do that for you!!

3. cimo May 9, 2016

Looks to be in pretty good shape. 1962 would explain the lack of "De Ville" on the dial, however this was also around the time they abandoned the hooked "S" in Seamaster. Many of the non-devilles have the hook S, but is still possible a curved S without the deville is still correct.

I imagine you don't actually intend to travel 4000km to purchase a $350 watch?

It is definitely a unishell case. Looks to be with gold cap.

I don't know if the dropped R at the end is correct. Crosshairs dials are frequently artificial, without higher resolution pictures it's hard to tell. But the Lume looks the right color for its supposed age.

Sorry for a lot of non-answers but it's my best guess based on the pictures at hand.

4. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 9, 2016

something is not right...

5. kostas123 May 9, 2016

very nice

6. novina May 9, 2016

Could just be the angle, but are the lugs bend ever so slightly outward? The font on the last R looks off, but again, angle may not show it the best. Also, I was under the impression that the crosshairs go right through the script and never break for it. Ask more a shot of the cad back, yes that would take a watch maker to do it, but it is best to know positively what you are buying, before handing it over. And 4000km? What no postal service out there?

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 9, 2016

Based on your pics I see nothing problematic.
    The curved S and dropped R were still used in the late 1950s early 1960s. The cross hairs appear to be fine and don't cut the Seamaster.
    Watch looks to be in reasonable condition.

But I wouldn't go 4000 miles for it unless it was tacked onto a business trip.

OMGRLX likes this.
  8. jim- May 9, 2016

Thanks guys for your replies,

So the reasons about the "expedition" to see the watch, first its the closest offer I have found from where I live (Yukon Canada) and because of the few information the owner can provide I thought that it would be better to go there and take time to see the watch closely and meet the seller to make sure everything looks good before buying it, other thing because of my job the cost of the trip (flight tickets) will be limited.

For the lugs I have another picture of bad quality I know but from the top and they seems correct so it should be the angle, the letter "r" looks still the same though;
    [​IMG]
    So I guess once I get there I should ask the seller to go to a jewelry to have the watch opened.
    I was confused for the crosshair I have read that it has to cross all the inscriptions, as well as the Omega sign and that this kind is the exception.

I will probably go there next week to check it, i am still following the
    "Recommended Vintage Omega Watches On Ebay" topic in case i found something else, but for some reason I think I should at least try to go for this one.

Jim

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 10, 2016

A jeweller will be no good, you will need a proper watchmaker who knows how to perform the task. It's a simple job but one that can go wrong if not done properly.

There are exceptions to that rule, a high percentage of cross hair dials have completely unbroken lines, there are however, examples where they break for text and logos. Same with the curved S and dropped R.

chronos and OMGRLX like this.
  10. jim- May 10, 2016

So basically when you buy its obviously strongly recommended to have the case opened to check the movement make sure it is an Omega and that it correspond to the rest of the watch, but let's say if the watch seems authentic and the seller seems honest, the risk of having a movement that has nothing to do with an original Omega movement should be low i guess, because thats what I might have to do, buy and then check the movement later when i will have the opportunity. there is no other way to check that the movement seems correct? unless if the second hands moves like quartz ones I guess I can pass ::screwloose::
    The fact that its a monobloc case does it make the watch less prone to have a fake movement?

For the crosshair I see, so it might just be the reason i can't find other pictures with the same configuration as this one.

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 10, 2016

I seriously doubt that it has a fake movement.
    Just buy it and put it on a nice brown leather strap.

chronos likes this.
  12. DON May 10, 2016

Looks genuine and not 100% sure, but the lugs and bezel may be 14kt gold. Marked on the edge of the bezel between the lugs

Hard to tell if lugs are gold capped or all gold based on the case back image

DON

13. jim- May 10, 2016

Yes that was the plan, I am not even sure how to adjust this kind of strap.

14. jim- May 10, 2016

So if i am right there should be the 14k gold "Squirrel" mark if that's the case.

15. DON May 10, 2016

Actually it's marked on the s/s part of the case between the lugs

Bad image and upside down, but best I could find

Says gold bezel - s.s. back

[​IMG]

16. jim- May 10, 2016

Allright i see, i'll check for that, thanks a lot

17. TNTwatch May 11, 2016

The lugs are just gold capped and the bezel is solid gold. The dial is original and will look much nicer in the flesh than in those pictures.

The watch will probably need to be serviced, maybe @Canuck can help you with getting it done.

18. jim- May 11, 2016

Thanks for the infos, I'll try to contact @Canuck. Can't wait to see the watch.

19. jim- May 30, 2016

And here is the watch, I really love it, I will bring it for servicing in Vancouver soon. it was pretty accurate when i did couple of test on a 24h period and when it is fully wound.
    I could not find any inscriptions between the lugs though, but there is something on the side of one lug, looks like numbers but its not really clear.

IMG_20160530_094845.jpg IMG_20160517_172546.jpg

GregH, ahartfie, kingsrider and 2 others like this.