Forums Latest Members
  1. Jbill Oct 2, 2016

I have very much enjoyed these forums and am greatly impressed by the amazing breadth of the knowledge of the forum members and their generosity in sharing that knowledge, especially with new collectors (like me). All that being said, I would like to impose on your generosity with a few questions in connection with my quest for my first Constellation.

I'm hoping to find a late 50's or early 60's pie pan, in all-stainless, with a white or silver dial, with yellow or rose gold hour markers. This will be my everyday watch for the office, so I would like something in very good original condition (and realize that will likely come at a premium). Now for my questions:

1. In terms of accuracy, reliability and desirability, is there an appreciable difference in the 551/561 calibres vs. the 504/505? I think I prefer the look of arrowhead markers, but it appears that may be harder to find in what I am looking for in a 551/561 caliber.

2. Any suggestions on where to look for this grail watch? My preference would be to buy it from a forum member here, but it looks like from my review of the private sales forum going back for some time, similar watches don't seem to come up very often.

Thanks again for any advice you can share and for the introduction to this great hobby/ terrible addiction.

2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 2, 2016

Jwit and efauser like this.
  3. Jbill Oct 2, 2016

Thanks, ahsposo. I have been slowly working my way through Desmond's amazing blog. The amount of information he has assembled there is incredible.

4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 2, 2016

Jbill likes this.
  5. micampe Oct 2, 2016

I believe parts are still available for 55x/56x (or more plentiful) and not for 50x. I think I read here not long ago that some part of the 50x rotor is prone to wear and not readily available.

6. TexOmega Oct 2, 2016

May I suggest being very diligent and having sharp elbows for such a specimen many are seeking.

7. Jbill Oct 2, 2016

Thanks for your thoughts, micampe.

8. Jbill Oct 2, 2016

Good advice. Thank you, TexOmega.

9. ConElPueblo Oct 2, 2016

I have mentioned this many times before, but the best ressource for all things Omega really are these boards. If you really want to be enabled to buy a great watch on, say, eBay, do your homework first and do it here! The one I just bought (see below) was a pretty quick purchase and, IMO, well under market value. The only reason I could strike at it was the hours I've spent reading up on what the brain trust here has discussed previously.

Start here.

How about bumpers? I love the feel of the weight sliding around, you never forget you're wearing something special :)

I'd say these come up for sale on here once every two months or so. I happen to have purchased one recently, so did some post-purchase reading up on here and noticed that the frequency was around that mark.

Dial2.jpg
    (crappy eBay pic, haven't received it yet. May have jinxed it now ::facepalm2:: )

10. Jbill Oct 2, 2016

Great looking watch, ConElPueblo, and thanks for your thoughts!

11. Jacquot Oct 2, 2016

The only thing I will add is that the watches I wear everyday are not the best watches I own, I reserve those for special occasions. You can certainly do otherwise, but worth thinking about. The more special/irreplaceable, the less I wear them. I have a few Connies/Longines that are maybe 80-85% that are easy to wear without a lot of concern. The watches I found that are near original get a lot less wear. That said, I agree with others, do your homework, and you will be able to recognize good values. I definitely recommend the sales forums on this site. I've bought several watches here that were definitely very good values and some that are really special. It's more important to know what you are after.

12. Schmedsc Oct 2, 2016

This forum is the best place to pick up your Connie. Be patient and keep learning. Although not what you're looking for, this is the first Connie is I picked up here. I couldn't be happier. Good luck in your search:)
    image.jpeg

Jacquot likes this.
  13. Jbill Oct 2, 2016

Thanks, Jacquot. Definitely something to keeep in mind.

14. Jbill Oct 2, 2016

Thanks, Schmedsc. Great looking Connie!

15. Waltesefalcon Oct 3, 2016

My everyday watch is a Connie that hasn't the sharpest case and has had a redial done on it. I enjoy the watch but don't worry about it overly much.

16. Jbill Oct 3, 2016

That sounds like good advice. Thanks, WF.

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 3, 2016

Love that avatar!

I don't think it's a good idea to spend big money for a 1960's Chevrolet Chevelle SS and drive it everyday to the office. That's what you are proposing with your potential Omega Constellation. Buy it, but take the advice of the others above. Don't make it an everyday wearer.

Buy about a dozen other vintage watches and rotate them. You can also spread out your service costs over time as well.

Go Gators!
    gatorcpa

PS - It took me 7 years to find a classic 1960's pie-pan. Be prepared to be very patient.

18. Kja Oct 3, 2016

not sure about the rotor thing, I have seen plenty loose rotors on the later 5xx movements, but I wear a mid 50's one everyday and enjoy it immensely. I also have parts on hand just in case too but I don't think parts are that hard to come by, not like some rarer movements at least. I say get what design speaks to you and worry about the supply of parts after the fact. Getting what you want is more important. The 50's connies just speak to me more than later ones, they seem more reserved but no question the 55x movement has some better refinements, the hairspring and balance are both upgraded for one.

19. Jbill Oct 3, 2016

Thanks, Gator. Love your avatar, too.

I think you're right about not making a grail watch an every day wearer. Nothing wrong with building up a collection to rotate them.

Go Gators!

20. Jbill Oct 3, 2016

Thanks, Kja. That is good information about the availability of parts.