Forums Latest Members

Advice on finding a movement for planned SM300 Diver NOS build (ala WatchCo)

1. msp1518 Mar 31, 2014

Hello all. So I have long loved the look of the vintage Omega Seamaster 300 Diver 165.024, but buying vintage is out of my price range and I'd want to take it into the drink (swimming, not diving) and when I travel to SE Asia, where the humidity is killer. So a WatchCo/Frankenwatch version seems logical. After all, I like old design better than a modern Planet Ocean (easily the #2 diver in my book) so why not buy what makes me happy?

I know this forum's very own Archer is highly trusted at putting these together and I think I'd like to go for it, but know very little about the movements, what to look for and of course, how much to spend. That means I would be appreciative of advice.

552, 563 or 565, they all seem fine to me. Date or no-date, both look super cool in my eyes, though no-date may have a slight edge for symmetry.

What is a reasonable price for a movement that is in good condition? Here is a 552 currently on eBay at $158 with 1 day to go.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/331162042678Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

To me it looks like a good candidate, but how much to bid for it?

The seller for this cal. 552 claims it is very good condition and has perfect feedback after selling a lot of watch parts and movements. But it's $350 Buy It Now. Too high?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/151242245395Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Finally, I may have jumped the gun but I bid on this cal. 565 Geneve from 1970. How high should I go?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/251487007430Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I'm assuming all of the above are the correct type and fit for the SM300 case.

Forgive my newbieness, but I want to learn and make the right decision. When all is said and done and this watch is finished and on my wrist it will be the most expensive luxury item I have ever purchased for myself (outside of a TV or computer, of course).

2. jim13x Mar 31, 2014

I recently became the proud owner of an 'Al Franken' myself. I searched for a 552 for three weeks and couldn't find anything under $300 so I ended up buying a 550 in a complete donor watch (polished, redialed) for $280. Which turned out to be too much since as soon as Al started working on it I found a 552 on the bay for $175.

With some patience and luck you should be able to find a decent 550, 551 or 552 for under $250.

Best of luck!

Jim

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 1, 2014

I have a 565 from an unwanted project. The movement balance runs freely and on a Timegrapher it has an amplitude of 209 deg and gains about a minute a day so obviously could do with a service.

The movement still looks very clean and would require a new stem for a 300 case and case clamps to suit (about $20 in parts).

It has some small "goo" stains from a deteriorated seal that will clean OK when serviced.

I don't know if it is OK to use for a no-date version (my preferred 300) but Archer could advise.

Let me know if you're interested, I'm located in Australia, we can negotiate via PM .

I can post pics tomorrow if you like.

Cheers

Jim

And to keep you fired up for your grail, here's a pic :D

Prawns.jpg

watchme likes this.
  4. marturx Apr 1, 2014

I have a cal 552 in excellent condition set aside for this very same purpose. I can let go of it for a reasonable price.

Not competing with JimInOz in any way, but if you decide on a 165.024, the correct movement should be the non-date 552

JimInOz likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Apr 1, 2014

Not busting anyone's stones, but the "correct movement" is whatever fits the case and dial because it's a franken to begin with! ;) :p

JimInOz likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 1, 2014

Eggzachary :thumbsup:

But I disagree with the term "franken". While in the possession of the original owner who knows what it is, it is simply a watch constructed from parts.

It only becomes a franken if offered for sale as an original without disclosure of the origin of all of the parts.

This is a never ending discussion that would have resulted in "Pistols At Dawn" over on WUSOF.

But here we can agree to disagree, or discuss further as I sip my evening dram of Lagavulin 16YO :p

These are my thoughts on the issue.

Cheers

Jim

John R Smith likes this.
  7. marturx Apr 1, 2014

8. M'Bob Apr 1, 2014

"But I disagree with the term "franken". While in the possession of the original owner who knows what it is, it is simply a watch constructed from parts."

If that were true, Frankenstein would not be Frankenstein - he would just be simply a monster from constructed parts.

9. w.o.d.n.i.k Apr 1, 2014

hi, I have 1966 Omega seamaster 300 on bracelet and with box and papers!!! all original, only problem is that watch is missing bezel, I looked on ebay and found 3, one used and two new, what do you all think should I go for the used one to look good with the watch as it is well aged one or better go fo new one?? will that not look funny? or I'm wrong?
    surely my set with box and papers is worth 2000GBP without bexel, I think.....
    what do you lot think?

10. z1109r Apr 1, 2014

I prefer Laphroaigh....................... and druling for a Seamaster 300........

11. msp1518 Apr 1, 2014

I appreciate the responses, but please PM me if you might have a movement that would fit my needs. i want to keep this thread on topic, which is advice on movements, what to look for, what to avoid, etc.

JimInOz, how dare you stuck that 300 with the fishes! :) What a beauty.

12. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 1, 2014

You're looking in the wrong place if you want a thread to stay on topic.

On the other hand, if you're prepared to tolerate some deviations you may find you end up with some very good information and advice. :)

JohnSteed likes this.
  13. msp1518 Apr 1, 2014

No worries on tangents. I don't mind at all. But as far as offering me movements or parts, I'd prefer a PM.

14. ulackfocus Apr 1, 2014

I think you should post some freakin' pictures man. ;)

What he said:

:p

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 1, 2014

Which is what he was.

He never had a name.

Victor Frankenstein was the creator of the monster, using body parts salvaged from corpses, thus I can understand the modern analogy as it relates to watches.

However I simply don't see a SM300 constructed from all NOS / service components, and identified as such, to be a franken.

Just to get back on topic, here's a pic of an Ω 565, now using this in a SM300ND would create a franken, albeit a very nice one.

IMG_0272.JPG

marturx likes this.
  16. M'Bob Apr 2, 2014

While you are technically correct, "Frankenstein," when referring to the monster, is a colloquialism, and is an acceptable name. After all, wouldn't, "Victor Frankenstein's Monster meets Abbott and Costello" be just too cumbersome? ::bleh::

JimInOz likes this.
  17. w.o.d.n.i.k Apr 3, 2014