Forums Latest Members
  1. HTTR! Sep 22, 2018

My father recently passed away and while cleaning the house I came across an Omega wristwatch which I recall him showing to me in the late 1960's or early 1970's. It wasn't working then, it's not working now and to the best of my knowledge it wasn't working during the interim. I found no paperwork and don't know when or where he originally got it.

Unrelated errands took me by a local watch & jewelry repair shop (Fairfax, Virginia). They told me it was genuine, at least fifty years old, that it had been worked on in the past and would cost $350 to clean and get it back in working order. I neglected to get the serial number, don't want to damage it trying to open it myself and the shop has mixed reviews. I looked through the vintage omega database but didn't see any that resembled it.

It'd be greatly appreciated to get any local repair shop recommendations so I can take it to get the serial number and have it repaired if in fact genuine. Any advice as to the model or other observations would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

HTTR!

DSCN0803.JPG DSCN0804.JPG DSCN0806.JPG DSCN0807.JPG DSCN0808.JPG
  2. Dan S Sep 22, 2018

Welcome to OF, and my condolences on the loss of your father. It will probably be difficult to say with certainty if the watch is fully correct and authentic without seeing the inside. The reference number is often engraved inside the case-back, and the serial number and caliber are engraved on the movement.

Regarding the dial, could you please move the hands so they are not obscuring the logo and printing and take some clear photos. That will help the members evaluate the dial for originality. I'd suggest taking some photos in natural light, so that the illumination is more even.

3. ATWG Sep 22, 2018

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about your loss. Regarding your watch, I have nothing to add but had to click on your post after seeing handle.

H T T R!

HTTR! likes this.
  4. HTTR! Sep 23, 2018

Thanks and greatly appreciate those taking the time to share their wealth of knowledge with others. Once the rain ever stops I'll move the hands, take and post some natural light photos. Thanks for the suggestions!