Forums Latest Members

Advice on buying first Omega

1. Madjam1966 Jul 5, 2017

Hi all. New here as of today. ☺

Always hankered after an Omega (my father has a late 50s Seamaster) and I'm on a tight budget.

My shortlist (restricted by budget) is an older, previous SMP 300 (2220.80.00), the latest AT quartz (albeit the previous variant with the raised indices etc) or to go a bit higher and plump for the latest, ceramic SMP 300 (non wavy blue and that huge, gorgeous wooden box!). My budget is really £1500 but the SMP is a grail and a 0% finance deal is tempting me.

The 2220.80 models seem to be quite rare (and expensive/hold value, which is tempting for future values) and around the £2k mark (in excellent condition with papers and box etc). There are two white AT Quartz (applied markers version) on eBay, both @ £1.2k (all looks legit) and a new SMP at Browns Family Jewellers (Yorkshire, UK) for as low as £2.2k. The latter concerns me how they can sell these for £700 off RRP. Anyone had dealings with them?

Any thoughts would be much apprecited. Thank you. ☺

2. lillatroll Jul 5, 2017

Hello and welcome
    If you have your heart set on one particular watch then that is the one to go for.Why?Because if you buy something else you will still want that one particular watch no matter how many watches you have. The hardest part is getting your head round spending silly amounts of money on a watch. However, it is likely to be once in a lifetime purchase and you can recouperate some of the money if you want or need to sell it. (Of course many of us start out thinking that one watch will do but soon discover another one that we need) 0% finance means on a 4000gbp purchase with a 20% deposit you will pay about 70 quid a month over 4 years. The downside is that you have to pay full retail for it. Shops can sell for less because the mark up is quite good so don't be surprised at what seem like bargains if you can pay everything at once.

3. Madjam1966 Jul 5, 2017

Thank you. And so very true. The SMP is being offered new, locally, for £2300. Due to discount they can't offer zero finance so I am considering a cheap deal on a credit card money transfer and part funding it with sale of most of my (modest) collection.

I am still struggling with paying £2k+ for a watch hence why the cheaper ATQ was a more affordable alternative but I think I'd then always hanker afer an SMP, and thus the cycle of desire and missed opportunity continues.

Is buying a greatly discounted SMP likely to be a potential longer term investment (to leave to my children)?

4. lillatroll Jul 5, 2017

I think most collectors will agree that trying to predict future prices is nigh on impossible or we would have been snapping up pre moon speedmasters for what now looks like silly money. The SMP has classic written all over it but who knows what it will bring in the future. The less you pay for it, the less any loss will be but I think the sensible thing is to look at it as a loss project from day one from a financial perspective and hope that it retains as much value as possible. One thing for sure is that everyday when you put it on and it brings a smile to your face it is worth more than any amount of pounds and pence. :)

sjg22 likes this.
  5. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 5, 2017

To me, and I say this without any detailed knowledge of your financial situation, when I see "I am considering a cheap deal on a credit card money transfer" and "I am still struggling with paying £2k+ for a watch", I'd suggest this is not the time to buy. Save up and if you still feel the same when you can afford to pay for a watch you really want out of funds that don't detriment other essentials (you will never really need one at this price ;)) then you can buy a watch without looking at it and wondering what else you could should have spent the money on.

To me the one of the keys to happy watch ownership is not having to worry about the future value as an investment. In any event, good luck with your search (however long it takes) :thumbsup:

Euxinus, martinzx and Wryfox like this.
  6. sjg22 Jul 5, 2017

I would try and find a full set SMP in good, used condition on a forum's classifieds from a trusted seller.

Aggregators like Watch Recon (https://www.watchrecon.com/) can help you find a good one - keep checking back and I bet you'll see something in your price range. Even late model watches find there way into forums via grey market dealers.

You might get lucky on eBay, but I find quality and pricing generally better on forums, as knowledge of quality and pricing are better amongst WIS than the general public.

Always nice to buy new, but you're paying a hefty premium - lots of nice used SMPs around...

7. Madjam1966 Jul 5, 2017

Thank you for all your comments and advice. The advice about saving is totally wise but at this rate my goal will not be achieved so long as prices keep hiking. Cheap finance is my preferred route. I wonder how many owners of luxury goods utilise such financing offers whether they can 'afford' it straight off anyway.

I think the research/chase can so often be almost as much fun as the acquisition too, but I guess that's another topic for another day ☺

martinzx likes this.
  8. sjg22 Jul 5, 2017

I had been eyeing a Rolex GMT-Master II "fat lady" for awhile and when one was sitting at a low number on an eBay auction I grabbed it for $4k Canadian. That was 5 years ago and I was short on cash (I had the $4k though, but it was tight) - transitioning careers. Was it a smart financial decision? Well, the 5 digit Rolex have appreciated since then but I would say I'm more lucky than good. It wasn't ideal timing, but it worked out fine.

That said, I wouldn't bank on that type of experience, especially with an Omega Seamaster which have, with few exceptions, depreciated fairly signicantly from new. Pricing isn't going up on used Seamasters from what I've seen as they're in plentiful supply... Rolex sports watches are a safer investment, but even then who knows?

Stay within your budget and go used would be my recommendation. Study sold items on eBay and monitor watchrecon.com to see what they're selling for and try and snag something in good shape at a good price. Lots of wave dial 300M in your price range!!

Then, keep saving - when you have more $$$ saved away, sell the used watch you purchased, hopefully for roughly what you paid for it and combine your savings with the proceeds of sale and buy what you really want in a year or two. This will let you wear something interesting for awhile and ultimately get what you want without being too financially stretched.

Patience is a virtue.

Just my $0.02.

Madjam1966 likes this.
  9. sjg22 Jul 5, 2017

10. Wryfox Jul 5, 2017

IMHO, these days watches are primarily jewelry, and hence should be bought with disposable income only . If you're at all worried about affording a particular watch, don't do it. Its so easy to get over your head these days, and you won't enjoy it if you're on a payment plan. Maybe set your sights a bit lower, like a nice vintage deville to start with? I have two that I wear as much as my Speed Masters...and they're beautiful. Try not to get locked in the moment on one specific model. Don't know about you but my tastes change all the time.

11. Madjam1966 Jul 6, 2017

Thanks again all. The Watchrecon site is superb so thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

12. Madjam1966 Jul 19, 2017

Have just noticed I failed to update this thread with what I eventually acquired. A lucky find in a jewellers window, a 2007 Bond Ltd Edition 2226.80.00. Mint condition, all the papers but no box, unfortunately (wasn't a deal breaker especially as I got to haggle a bit).

Delighted with this, yet part of me still yearns for an SMPc (mainly due to the ceramic bezel and D variant of the 2500 movement). I prefer the style of the more flush clasp on the 2226.80 though.

Should I flip the 'vintage' Bond for an SMPc? I feel the 2226 Bond is more of a future classic yet the SMPc feels a bit more durable?

20170715_154605-1.jpg

Edited Jul 19, 2017
  13. autumnwind Aug 1, 2017

Congratulations on your first purchase ! That's a cracking watch on you!

However if you wanted the SMPc coaxial 2500d from the start, why did you purchase this then ? Just curious

2500d is a good revised movement which is undoubtedly more reliable than its predecessors . But I'm pretty sure it's not just about the movement only and the aesthetics are incredibly important (for me at least) as well and that's just personal taste. Would you be able to spin your current watch for a good price to fund the other one ( which I suspect would be a wee bit costlier?)

14. Madjam1966 Aug 2, 2017

Thank you and good points raised :) I'm a big Bond fan and have yearned for one of these since 2006, and seeing the 2226 by pure chance and at a good price just shouted out 'buy me!' I love it. Since posting about whether to flip it for an SMPc I feel now that what I have will hold its value better (despite it being a bit hit with Bond fans/miss with Omega fans, or so it seems) with regards to handing it down one day. I still love the SMPc of course (and its improved movement and tougher bezel etc) but there's something about a future classic (and a better clasp) that keeps me from flipping it. I'm confident that if for whatever reason I did need to sell I'd make a few pennies from the sale so will see one day. In meantime it's ticked two boxes (Bond collector's piece and first Omega/grail), so I'm pleased/fortunate.