Forums Latest Members

Advice on buying a Seamaster 321 with hopes to not lose money on it long term

1. NeedForSpeed Mar 13, 2017

Hi guys, first time post. Any advice on vintage models to collect from an investment perspective? And when I say from an investment perspective, I mean to keep and enjoy for a few years first rather than just making a quick buck! I can't afford to start collecting any other way right now! I'm thinking stainless steel 321 calibre Seamaster chronograph. Any other suggestions? Which models do you think will appreciate in value the most?

2. ConElPueblo Mar 13, 2017

Welcome to the forum :)

Now read the title of the thread you are posting in...

cristos71 and efauser like this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 13, 2017

What are the last two words in the title of this thread?

4. ConElPueblo Mar 13, 2017

Mods - love the new thread and thread title :D

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 13, 2017

Do you have a time machine so you can go back and buy ?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 13, 2017

Moved to a new thread as that one wasn't the place for it.

Nobody can be a crystal ball and accurately predict what the market will demand but things like the Seamaster 321 are riskier than others due to the poor water resistance, difficulty in getting parts and frequency of redials.

If you like the Seamaster line I'd be more attracted to the later automatic chronometers which are both far more water resistant and more durable for actual wear and enjoyment. I've said this to many people that are starting a collection, the 321 is not a smart entry point, its somewhere you go after you have some experience and plenty of others in your collection. They're not a simple everyday wearable with no worries kind of watch anymore and never will be again.

The 561 / 564 / 751 calibre Seamasters are the ones I'm referring to by the way, great watches, great to wear, durable and frankly quite undervalued still.

7. lillatroll Mar 13, 2017

Just buy what you like. Most models that are not crap will probably appreciate over time. There are so many models to choose from so guessing which ones will appreciate is a but like trying to predict the lottery numbers. Probably best to avoid many of the things that came from the early to.mid 80s.