Forums Latest Members

Advice on Best Way to Sell New PO

1. jmitch7715 Mar 2, 2016

Hey everyone I bought a new PO back in January and have had a rather large bill come up so now I'm contemplating trying to sell it. I would love to list it on the forum but the 200 post rule limits me from doing this. Ebay is an option but their fees can get pricey. I have had a couple companies (worthy.com) contact me about trying to see it for me but I'm truly lost on the best way to sell it. Thanks for any advice

2. igatomic Mar 2, 2016

Ebay. Eat the 10%. It is the cost of doing business. Alternatively, get a line of credit. Even if you carry the balance for 2 years, you'll still break even with the ebay fees, and you still get to wear your watch. You also won't have to eat the depreciation from new...

larryganz likes this.
  3. ac106 Mar 2, 2016

Well you could always post in the modern watch section of the Omega Forum and hope that someone is in the market for a planet ocean and PMs you an offer thereby skirting the eBay fees and the 200 post requirement of the for sale section.

Wait...

4. Mr Bing Mar 2, 2016

It's a tough one. I was in the same position and ended up listing my watch on eBay. It sold for £2650 but with eBay, PayPal, shipping and insurance fees I came out with less than £2300....quite a hit!

5. off It could have been bug spray. Mar 2, 2016

I've used Crown & Caliber before. They take your watch, service it if required and take pictures of it. The selling price they get is high, but you'll get hit with a 20% fee along with a $200 prep charge. This situation worked out for me, I sold a 13 year old piece that surprisingly appreciated.

Also, check the completed listings on eBay to get a good idea of how much your particular PO reference has sold for.

6. Perseus Mar 2, 2016

Exactly. I'm surprised the OP didn't go all the way and include pictures and the asking price.

7. Perseus Mar 2, 2016

I would contact anyone who sells second hand watches. You can reach out to DavidSW, Topper Jewellers; WatchvaultNYC etc.

8. Flingit1200s Mar 2, 2016

This is one of the reasons why I am so slow and careful to buy a nice watch as a companion for my speedy. I don't have a reputation in the online watch community so even if I had 200 posts here, I would likely take a hit. Ebay is another no go as I don't have any history selling things there in addition to their fees. I'll just enjoy the Seiko instead!

IMG_1499.JPG

9. 3rail Mar 2, 2016

I agree, Ebay is your best bet and just suffer their fees and also Paypal fees. You will need to price the PO aggressively for a BIN or be prepared for less than stellar bids. You may not be able to sell it for what you feel it is worth, especially if it is new. Hopefully you have full documentation or be prepared to qualify the watch as legit to a potential buyer.

You could try "Craig's list", a friend of mine has had success selling older watches on there. No fees except if it is paid by Paypal. There are also a few legitimate watch forums out there that do not have a post limit. (btw, the post limit is a good thing here). However, even if they have a forum for Omega, the folks that frequent the sites more than likely are not ready to pony up for a PO purchase.

Here is some life advice from an old guy who is qualified to give it. Do not be buying "luxury brand" watches if you need to think about selling them when an "unexpected" large bill comes up. That is not a good financial plan. 99% of the time you will never sell it on the secondary market for what you paid so be prepared for that loss too.

Posting here with your question has already opened the door for PM's regardless if that was your intent or not.

I am sorry for being so negative but maybe I am just having a bad day and needed to post an honest answer.

Donald

JimInOz likes this.
  10. jmitch7715 Mar 2, 2016

I'm always been a fan of the Pepsi's. My first real watch was a Seiko kinetic from the 90s. I'd love to track down a shogun one day.

11. jmitch7715 Mar 2, 2016

Donald you are 100% correct that my purchase was not a sound financial plan but it was a present from my wife to celebrate my little girl's first birthday. We lost triplets the year before that and the first year with my daughter was very trying for my wife and I. I bought my wife a mini van(yea I hate it was every inch of my been) and a new wedding band and she got me the PO. Now that we just had a 17,000 dental bill come up for my wife I'm looking at selling what I can without clearing out my 401k. I didn't list pictures on the forum directly because I didn't know how the admins would react and the last thing I wanted to do is get kicked off the forum. That been said here are a few image2.JPG image3.JPG image1.JPG image4.JPG of pics.Yes its on a Nato strap but its an official omega I get at the boutique, it has all the documents including the bill of sale from January. It has the metal band (never worn removed the second I purchased the watch) and the box. If anyone is interested pm me. Again, thanks everyone for the advice.

Ravineman and off like this.
  12. WatchVaultNYC Mar 2, 2016

Not many sales on Ebay for this model to get a good estimate, but the only SOLD watch was $2650, which nets you $2360 so roughly a 40% loss or more from when you bought it. That's pretty tough. But that at least is a baseline.

I guess it depends how fast you want to sell it. If you can wait longer you can sell higher. I don't buy single watches for reselling and my own wrist does not agree with the 8500 PO, but I'm sure some of the other sellers here can consign your watch?

Personally, if I were hard up on cash, I'd get an installment plan from the dentist. Very few people have the capacity to pay $17K in one go.

larryganz likes this.
  13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 2, 2016

Also, do you already have an ebay account? If not, that will make it more difficult to get top dollar.

Maybe a face to face with a member, as I can't imagine anyone here would make a transaction over the post for this watch.

14. jmitch7715 Mar 2, 2016

Because I work for the state and my wife works for a small private law firm our dental insurance is a joke. The dentist wants half up front to start so that is why I'm considering selling the PO.

15. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 2, 2016

You may want to look at Watchuwant. They buy watches and also take them on consignment. I placed a watch with them once on consignment. It took a little while, but they got the price we had agreed on. Good luck.

16. jmitch7715 Mar 2, 2016

Yea I have an ebay account but only sold a few things over the years so my ratting is only a 15. A face to face would be ideal because I have never sold anything remotely this big online

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2016

The going rate on eBay no reserve auctions actually seems more like $3k - 3.6k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seama...165855?hash=item2a60d4811f:g:QvsAAOSwNyFWg1lVPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121873051500?rmvSB=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

18. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 2, 2016

The few I've seen have been in the low- to mid-$3ks as well. "List Price" of ~$6,000... Hope your wife was able to purchase it for less. I was happy getting one brand new for $4,300, and even then I would take a big hit if I had to sell it.

Might want to post on WatchUSeek, as there seem to be a lot of new-ish Omegas there.

19. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 2, 2016

Where are you located? We are a pretty helpful group on here, and depending on where you are, a local member in good standing on here or ebay may be able to help sell.

In regards to the dentist, have you gotten a second opinion? I only ask because when I lived in DC, I went to a dentist that wanted to do thousands of dollars worth of unnecessary dental work...crooked as hell. I saw his ruse and promptly told him to piss off.

I would list on ebay with a BIN Or Best Offer and see what you get offered...factor in the 13% hit.

20. Flingit1200s Mar 2, 2016

+1 on a second opinion from another dentist!