Forums Latest Members

Advice on a year watch to buy

1. Hans the Wolf Nov 7, 2016

Hi,

I have the great privilege of becoming a grandfather in march next year when my eldest son will be having a daughter (it is almost 100% certain that it will be a girl). I am planning to buy a nice watch next year which I will give to her on her 30th birthday (if I live that long, otherwise she will inherit it from me :D). My plan is that I will wear it regularly (with care of course), keep all the papers and boxes so she will have a complete vintage luxury with, hopefully, a lot of affection value in it. As I am planning to use it myself I am looking for a pretty masculine unisex-watch, I have been thinking of a Rolex Submariner which I have seen being referred to as a unisex watch. So, ladies and gentlemen here at Omega Forums, which watch do you suggest that I buy as a year watch to the grand-daughter I will have next year?

Best regards,
    Hans

Taddyangle and Jwit like this.
  2. barmy Nov 7, 2016

My wife wears a Tudor Mini-Sub as a daily wearer. If you're not too big, it would be a good one

Hans the Wolf likes this.
  3. WatchVaultNYC Nov 7, 2016

I got a 36mm Aqua Terra for the arrival of my baby daughter. I can wear it and so can she when she grows up!

Slo084 and Hans the Wolf like this.
  4. abrod520 Nov 7, 2016

I can't think of a better option than a Tudor Black Bay 36 right now, or an Explorer I. Or check out the 2017 Baselworld releases, and decide on one as that will be a brand new model for 2017

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 7, 2016

The problem is in 30 years what will be in fashion as a women's watch. Sure today women wear 38-40mm all the time right now. But historically this is a bit of a fluke. Personally a 36 or 38mm datejust stands the test of time and would hard for even a 38mm not being a nice piece for a lady.

The safe bet IMHO is a 36mm datejust or Aqua terra would be perfect. Or if your a bigger family either of those in 38mm would work in a pinch.

6. yinzerniner Nov 7, 2016

36-39mm is just about the largest you can go for women's wrists - any larger the lugs will overhang which is a universal fashion faux-pas. My S.O. can just barely rock the 3572.50 with it's 39.7mm perceived size, but she has larger hands so it isn't as out of place and the Speedy Pro's lugs are quite short.
    Since you don't know what your granddaughter's wrist, hand and frame size will be by the time she reaches 30 your best bet is keeping it around 34-36mm just to be on the safe side. Also, since you want to buy new and wish the piece to keep its value there are really only two options without going bespoke: Patek and Rolex.

Rolex Datejust 36mm is a classic that is basically unisex. Great all-around piece.
    Patek Calatrava 35mm is more dressy, but also a classic.

Modern Omegas don't really keep their value, especially the smaller non-Speedy Pro models. Nomos has timepieces in the size range, but they too don't hold value very well. Grand Seiko or even Credor could be an option, although they don't quite carry the non-WIS cachet and thus are still behind Patek and Rolex for collection purposes. Same goes for A Lange & Sohne - I actually prefer their designs and work over all others mentioned, but they still cannot keep up with the two elephants when it comes to holding value.

Your granddaughter's a lucky girl with whatever choice you make.

Hans the Wolf and George.A like this.
  7. ConElPueblo Nov 7, 2016

Well... Who knows what is going to be in fashion 30 years from now? If my grandparents had had the same thought when I was born, I'd have received a digital watch of some sort - or one of the ghastly, dressy 80's Omegas which were en vougue at that time.

If you really want to give her a great present, you could either

1) set aside the money for buying a Submariner, get them in an investment fund and give her the money in 30 years time.
    2) buy what YOU like and wear it often! Don't save it for special occasions, just let it be used for what it was intended to. That way it'll mean much more when she receives it and becomes more than a semi-shrewd investment.

Donn Chambers, Jwit and Hans the Wolf like this.
  8. Hans the Wolf Nov 7, 2016

Wow, what a lot of answers to my question :) I will read them thoroughly and I will try to reply to each one of you! Much appreciated :)

9. Hans the Wolf Nov 7, 2016

That is true, no one can know what will be in fashion in 30 years from now. I would have been a very lucky guy if my grandparents had bought a Speedy 2915-3 or a Rolex GMT "Pussy Galore" 1959 when I was born :D

Well, money is always nice to have but I feel it will be more personal with a watch that hopefully will mean something to her. Maybe it also will be worth some money when she gets it? I think I will go for our 2nd advice :)

Thanks a lot for your kind answer :)

10. meganfox17 Nov 7, 2016

Hi @Hans the Wolf

How are you Sir ?
    Choose one of the following watches your1st grand-daughter should inherit from you ( Worn or Unworn )
    One day into the future when she decides to sell the watch + box+papers+receipt with NO disrespect to anyone or any nationality on the forum , I suggest that she search for a wealthy Chinese buyer or watch collector in Singapore, Hong Kong or mainland China

●Rolex GMT Master II Ref 16710
    ( Pepsi or Coke bezel )
    ●Rolex GMT Master Ref 1675
    ●Rolex GMT Master II
    Ref 116710 LN

11. Drawarms Nov 7, 2016

any 36mm rolex. timeless classic.

12. omegasaso12 Nov 8, 2016

+1

13. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Nov 8, 2016

Plenty of watch choices. Watch styles change over the decades. After reading your post here are two family heirloom watches that belonged to my Mother. In a couple years they are going to my granddaughter. I need to get them serviced which next time I go to the watchmaker I will drop them off for the service. Both watches 14k however they are very small in size the watch on the left is 24.02mm lug to lug the case is 16.75 x 16.75mm super small by todays standards. My Grandmothers watches went to my daughter. Hopefully the tradition will continue
    Good Luck.

agw.jpg
    ahartfie, Jwit and Hans the Wolf like this.
  14. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 8, 2016

Why limit yourself to a modern reference? You like vintage, right? She's got your genes, so obviously your granddaughter will too.

Take the money, buy yourself another vintage watch you've always wanted, enjoy it for a few decades, then pass it along to her. :thumbsup:

15. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Nov 8, 2016

Hold on I will see what is fashionable in 30:
    MIND READER.jpg

I have two girls. I would have bet a ton of money that my first child was going to be a boy. Nothing but boys in the family. Boys boys boys. All the ladies said " your wife is "carrying" like she has a boy. In the delivery room;

say what.gif

Hans the Wolf and Jwit like this.
  16. yinzerniner Nov 8, 2016

Kind of defeats the purpose of a birth year watch, unless somehow he finds a 1917 piece for a centennial birth year item......

But in all seriousness some good suggestions here, as it's a monumental task trying to meld personal enjoyment, sentimental value and monetary prudence into a single object. And while styles change there are a few fundamental tenets when it comes to good design, form and function.

If the OP wants to go the extra mile he could also have the purchase saved for the delivery day so the receipt matches the birth certificate - can't think of too many examples of an actual BIRTHDAY watch.

Hans the Wolf and Jwit like this.
  17. Hans the Wolf Nov 8, 2016

Yes I like vintage watches :) Maybe a watch that is from another century's 17th year could be a good gift to her ;)

18. Hans the Wolf Jan 14, 2017

I think that I have settled it as I have reserved a Speedy Tuesday LE watch :) If my granddaughter someday wants to have a Speedy she can have mine :) Thank you all for your input and sorry for not posting in this thread for such a long time!

Jwit likes this.