Forums Latest Members
  1. Mathemagician Apr 19, 2016

New member here. Came here largely because I have been drawn to vintage Seamaster Chronographs like the one in this photo taken from a random online ad). I would love some advice on picking one (and best way to buy). Interested in thoughts on best movement to have (and why it's the best) and any particular watch-outs. This would be my first Omega. Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.

image.jpeg
    meganfox17 likes this.
  2. meganfox17 Apr 19, 2016

Hi @Mathemagician[​IMG]

Hey ! That's a Retro Omega SM Ref 105.001 Tachymeter manual winding Column-Wheel based Cal 321 Lemania, one of the greatest most admired movement designs like ever! The 1st Speedy on the moon worn by Buzz Aldrin was equipped with a Cal 321 !

Check this Out ! Did you know at one time Omega & Patek Phillipe were using the same movements? Omega calls it Cal 321 , Patek Phillipe calls it Cal 2872 but it's basically a bloody 2310 Lemania movement !
    Unbelievable but Patek Phillippe was actually using Lemania based movements for over 50 years until 2009 ! That's when they switch to their new inhouse movements

Lots of stuff missing there on the minute track .Once it's fully serviced it'll look like this[​IMG]
    It looks a little like Tom Cruise's watch in the HG Wells inspired Steven Spielberg's movie 2005 War of the Worlds ...!!![​IMG]

In that scene just before the Martians on Tripods attack on the city of LA , all electrical devices in the city STOP working including Tom Cruise's Omega Vintage SM chrono[​IMG]Duuhh....Really ? Hello Mr Spielberg ?.... That's Not suppose to happen to a Cal 321 Lemania 2310 movement !! The winding mechanical will keep on Ticking long after the Martians are dead ! It has nothing to do with Martian Laser Zapping every Tom, Dick , Harry & Jane in LA .Anyway Tom was wearing a different SM vintage Chrono but still it looks SO DAMN COOL !![​IMG]The Omega SM chrono on Tom Cruise's wrist[​IMG]
    Calibre 321[​IMG]

Fake or Frankenstein ?
    Vintage watches have serial numbers engraved on the inside of the watch.It will tell you the Cal & production year. Never buy if Omega HQ cannot confirm or match the serial numbers!

Edited Apr 20, 2016
  3. Miss_Bourginskay Apr 20, 2016

[emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

4. Interstellar Apr 20, 2016

Now that was informative... haha.. :)

meganfox17 likes this.
  5. Mathemagician Apr 20, 2016

Wow! Thanks for all of that great info. I didn't know a lot of that...very interesting! As I mentioned, I'm a newbie here and really want to educate myself before diving into a purchase (or 2 or 3). I personally think this is one of the greatest looking designs for my personal tastes, and I have always admired the Omega brand. I'm still nervous about how to best go about the shopping process, but your info provided me all kinds of thoughts on other things to research about the watch itself. Thanks for being so kind, thoughtful, and thorough!

meganfox17 likes this.
  6. Willem023 Apr 20, 2016

7. Mathemagician Apr 20, 2016

8. calalum Apr 20, 2016

Get the c. 321. The watches come up for sale from time to time, probably not as often as Speedmasters, but they are there if you have moderate patience. They are smaller than Speedies and that may account for the significantly lower price point, but they are beautiful watches, the movements (as mentioned above) are fabulous, and some believe that they are undervalued. Enjoy the search.

Mathemagician likes this.
  9. Mathemagician Apr 22, 2016

I appreciate all of the helpful advice so far. I'm in no hurry to buy anything, but I thought I would post a link to a particular watch that is for sale as a "learning exercise" for me. Most of the 321 Seamasters I find have obvious issues. Here is one that seems to at least be worth investigation.

http://www.piecesoftime.net/salesww_pages/2260seamasterchrono.html

As I mentioned, I am new to this vintage world and would love to hear any thoughts (condition, value, questions to ask, etc.) on this watch from some of the experts. I appreciate any coaching you may have for me. No particular attraction to this watch or price - I am happy to miss out on it and wait. I'm really more interested in learning how to evaluate such a watch. Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

10. abrod520 Apr 22, 2016

Quick piece of advice, and one that came up recently on another thread - probably best not to post links to watches you're interestedin, should some unscrupulous forum lurker snag it! I don't know these very well so can't really say much about the watch but I think it's probably overpriced by quite a bit considering the prices he's asking for other watches over there....

Also, is that a Manhattan in your avatar? My kind of drink :thumbsup:

11. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 22, 2016

You might want to consider vintage chrono SM with the 861 movement. Starting in approx 1968, the 321 was replaced by the 861. The watches are very similar but the newer 861s cost less and are easier to service as parts are plentiful.

12. Mathemagician Apr 22, 2016

Thanks for the advice, and yes that is a Manhattan, perhaps my favorite of all classic cocktails (though that is a bit like choosing one's favorite child for me).

Frankly, I agree with your general advice but wasn't too worried in this case. Worst case scenario is that I help a fellow forum member score a watch and I hopefully get some knowledge in the process. I will take that trade since I really am in no urgent need to buy something. And I also feel it is probably overpriced, too, which makes the possibility of "losing out" on it less painful. As I said, my main goal in posting is to hopefully gain some knowledge, but I appreciate your watching out for us newbies.

13. Mathemagician Apr 22, 2016

That is something I was actually wondering about so I appreciate the advice. It makes sense to me, especially since I am interested in wearing the watch relatively often. Perhaps better to go with the less rare, less expensive, and more available one (especially as a first purchase). I welcome other thoughts on this topic.

14. calalum Apr 22, 2016

Price is high and dial condition is low. A lot of the beauty in these pieces is the dial. JMHO.

Also, the price difference isn't that great so if it was me I would pursue the c. 321.

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 22, 2016

Cal. 321 seamaster for me in the best condition you can find. The earlier ones for me are more attractive with beefier lugs (and are much less common also which to me adds to the attraction).

Giff2577 likes this.
  16. Mathemagician Apr 22, 2016

Ideally, I will find a beautiful dial 321 priced below this...but not sure how yet...patience is likely key (which I definitely have)