Forums Latest Members
  1. badash May 13, 2016

IMG_1091.JPG Hello! This is my first Omega vintage Watch and its a 18k Omega with reference 14707 6 and serial nr is 17418079. There is something fishy about the Omega letters... If you look at the letter "E" it looks strange as ifs redone or as if its fake or something.. The whole "OMEGA" Word dont seam to be made by the factory..

So what do you guys Think about this? Is it a fake, redail or is it genuin?

2. badash May 13, 2016

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 13, 2016

Need to see the movement, but the Dial is at a minimum a redial.

4. badash May 13, 2016

Any adicive on how to open the case? here is the Sellers photo
    227473650_8190e881-b5e8-45a9-abcb-2a0cc2532d23.jpg

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  5. GuiltyBoomerang May 13, 2016

Hi there! Welcome to the forums.

Your watch has what is called a snapback, or snap-on caseback. These are generally removed with a proper, watch opening knife that slots into the slim gap between caseback, and you gently rotate the blade so the caseback pops off. Sometimes, this is a specific place where the gap is slightly larger, either as part of the original design or because people have had multiple attempts opening it.

For that reason alone, I would suggest getting a professional watchmaker to help you in opening the watch - particularly since the watch looks in good condition, and scratching the caseback and/or inside of the case is a surefire way to decrease the value of the watch. You may also get loose bits from the force applied opening the case into the movement, which is never a great idea.

The caseback and crown appear to be genuine. Here's a couple of pictures of a similar model with the same caseback reference number:

Screenshot_20160514-074335.png

Screenshot_20160514-074344.png

7.jpg

Your watch, then, is most likely to be from 1960-1961 (with the 17 million serial number,) carrying a Cal 268 movement inside, with a redial carrying the correct hands. Would like to see a photo of the movement inside just to confirm the movement calibre and the serial number, either from the seller or a watchmaker who will agree to look inside your watch.

If you like the watch, I would get it serviced by a competent watchmaker to ensure that the movement is properly cleaned and oiled so that you can enjoy wearing the watch for years to come. If you're concerned about the value due to the redial, wear it for a couple of times to see if you and the watch are 'compatible' and if it warrants your time (and servicing costs.) If it doesn't, sell it, as watches are always available and the next is never too far away :)

Also, as a new member - if you don't find a profile picture, the admins are very cheeky and will give you one brewed straight from a witch's cauldron ::stirthepot::

Edited May 13, 2016
    Foo2rama, Garv and badash like this.
  6. badash May 13, 2016

Thank you for your friendly reply and advice! I will see if i can get the cased opened by a watchmaker. What is important for me is mostly if its a real omega watch or some fake copy. Just the seller never wrote on his add that its a redail... And on the photos of the Sellers add it was not possible to see this either..

7. TNTwatch May 13, 2016

Bedside the refinished dial, all the hands and the crown have wrong colour. The second hand was too long then cut short. The other hands have slot for luminance, but not the dial. It's possible to correct these issues, but not easy and time consuming. These are the first things you'd look at on the watch and may not bring you satisfaction when you know they're wrong.

8. badash May 14, 2016

Here is a photo of the movement Aliyah 1.jpg