Forums Latest Members
  1. Speedymoon Jun 20, 2020

Longtime lurker here...

I’ve decided to go for another speedmaster....but there’s a little history behind my speedmaster purchases.

I bought my first speedmaster hesalite in 2016, but later traded it in for a 3572.50 after discovering it on this forum. I think I rushed into the 3572.50 since I didn’t really pay attention to details like the case being overly polished or replacement crystals. I ended up selling it. Then I bought a 3576.50 since the 345.0809 was way out of my price range. Unfortunately I had a bad experience since it was damaged. I ultimately returned it. I was speedmasterless.

I know that I want a speedmaster. I’m sure of it! Now that I’ve hit another milestone in my life/career, I plan on celebrating with a moon watch.

Here’s the thing...I like new watches. I certainly appreciate vintage watches, but I’m currently into new watches. I’m pretty certain I’ll get a hesalite over sapphire. But I love the sapphire caseback. I just love being able to see the movement. I’m not sure that i NEED it, but that’s where I’m stuck. So before I make another mistake...

Should I....

1. Wait for a NOS or mint 3572.50?
    2. Wait for a NOS or mint 3592.50?
    3. Get the current 2020 hesalite SMP?
    4. Get the current 2020 sapphire sandwich?
    5. Wait for a NOS/mint 3576.50?

Like many on the forums, I plan on passing this one down to my son. Which is partly why I wanted to buy new (option 3 or 4)—starting my own history with the watch. But I also think he would thoroughly enjoy seeing the movement. Hopefully money won’t be an issue in a few years so I can have multiple....but for now, I’m happy to be able to purchase one. I just want to make it count. I’m active duty Navy and I’m being transferred to Guam soon. Hoping to obtain one before I leave. I suppose it’s not critical, but it would be ideal.

I would appreciate any input. Thanks and stay safe!

Little Ada’s dad likes this.
  2. dberdichevsky Jun 20, 2020

I started a similar thread the other day debating a new hesalite vs sapphire. After seeing both in the flesh at the AD yesterday, I would say that there is no contest. Buy a new Hesalite all the way!

3. Speedymoon Jun 20, 2020

Oh yea, I saw them in person at the boutique. I like the sapphire sandwich. It’s beautiful. The milky ring doesn’t really bother me. I wear my watches to work everyday, so a sapphire would be ideal. But there was definitely something about that cheap, acrylic crystal that caught my eye.

Like I said, I’ll probably get a hesalite model, but I can definitely see myself getting a sapphire model as well. The hesalite sandwiches seem to be the best of both worlds. Just hard to find a mint one. And this time, I’m being pretty critical of the ones I see for sale. The only other thing is my timeline and my relative impatience/excitement. I could obtain a hesalite SMP or sapphire sandwich pretty quickly. There are so many great sellers on the forums!

4. Meme-Dweller Jun 20, 2020

You seem like you want something that's NOS/pristine. A model that hasn't been in production for almost 20 years is not a good idea in your case.

5. Speedymoon Jun 20, 2020

Yea. I definitely do, but there are definitely mint or. near mint 3572.50/3592.50s out there. Gah, maybe I’ll wait for the 3861 speedy...

6. TDBK Jun 20, 2020

Buy a new hesalite speedmaster and an aftermarket sapphire caseback and you can decide which you want.

7. Little Ada’s dad Jun 20, 2020

3D73DEBC-E861-4B3A-BADA-54F1F10EF0CB.jpeg
    Good evening Speedymoon. I’m new to this forum. I mean like within the last hour, lol, and this is my first reply to anything. I was going thru the same back and forth about getting either a Hesalite moonwatch or a sapphire sandwich myself. I ultimately decided on a new latest version of the Speedy Pro with a Hesalite crystal, and the 1861 movement, because I wanted the real deal with all of its history and mythology. Yes looking at the 1863 movement in a sapphire sandwich is interesting, but I don’t need an expensive for me tool watch just to stare at the back of it for a couple minutes now and then. As a guy who’s worn a Rolex Explorer I everyday for the last 13 and a half years, I wanted a new watch that was time tested tough, uncompromisingly reliable, and that has a usable complication. This beauty will be arriving early next week.

wolfe44, 8100_RPM and Speedymoon like this.
  8. Speedymoon Jun 20, 2020

Thanks for the reply man!!! I wear my sub almost everyday and totally agree! The more I think about my time with the 3572.50, I rarely looked at the back. I mean, I could if I wanted, but I didn’t. The more I think about it, I’m leaning towards a new speedmaster. I guess I had it right to begin with....

9. Little Ada’s dad Jun 20, 2020

It’s best not to overthink things too much. If you’re a true Speedy aficionado, choosing between either the Hesalite original versus the sandwich is a no brainer. Now if you were considering maybe a ‘Dark Side of The Moon’ or a fiftieth anniversary gold Speedy that would be a lot different. I would suggest that if you can afford it get your new watch from an authorized dealer so you’ll have Omega’s 5yr warranty, and then you can enjoy the full Moonwatch experience without having to worry about servicing and maintenance. I also intend to pass my timepieces down to my now 23yr old son. Hopefully that won’t be for a long time yet.

10. sah Jun 22, 2020

I was excited by the title SMP. Thought I was going to see more modern Seamasters...
    678A95AC-C872-4271-9815-7E09D52A5B09.jpeg

11. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 22, 2020

Same

12. killer67 Jun 22, 2020

New hesalite ftw!

13. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 22, 2020

I’ve got a 2020 hesalite and love it. My local ad has my 1171/633 bracelet and on Wednesday fitting it for me. I bought the leather strap kit to save money as the new bracelet isnt the look I want plus it’s huge. I sold the leather strap to fund the purchase of the 1171/633
    DBC96E37-837A-463D-84AF-CBC79CF403CA.jpeg
    69A1E9FD-D1B5-4EE3-8601-60B288C0C92B.jpeg

B3E929C3-F3BE-4E5D-B463-942C9BFC88F2.jpeg
  14. Little Ada’s dad Jun 23, 2020

Absolutely gorgeous Scarecrow Boat!