Advice on a Breitling Top Time 810

Hi all. I've been craving for a Top Time for a while and today I was offered this watch. Now, I've been mostly focusing on Omegas, so I lack experience with other brands. I did as much research I could on the little time at hand, and it seems this is a Mark 1.1 (the first generation from 1964) with a monocoque case. I compared it with similar examples and nothing seems out of place to me. Movement is supposed to be a Venus 178, which looks like it from the crap photo.

I apologize for the photos, but these were some quick snaps the guy sent me. I will take a look at the watch in hand later today, but I'm hoping to get some opinions in the meantime. Does the dial and hands look legit, at least from what you can tell from the photos? I will update with better photos if I get the opportunity.

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-26 at 11.06.56 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-26 at 11.06.56 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-26 at 11.07.03 AM.jpeg

Managed to keep the watch for a few hours to make my mind up. Seller is a friend so he doesn't mind. Took a few more photos in a lightbox.

Crystal really needs a polish. Case has normal signs of use, but seems unpolished. Dial looks quite good.

IMG_20240126_132744.jpg

IMG_20240126_132758.jpg

IMG_20240126_132815.jpg

IMG_20240126_132858.jpg

I know nothing about Breitlings, but it seems like a lovely looking watch.

However, one thing to note is the "stainless steel back" seems to imply that the rest of the watch is not.

Personally, I avoid any kind of plated watches if they are expensive.

However, one thing to note is the "stainless steel back" seems to imply that the rest of the watch is not.

Thanks for the input. Not sure what base material and plating it would have, but it does look like stainless steel from the way it's scratched, color, etc. Not an expert on material science though.

It wouldn't bother me that much considering the price is good. Just afraid of frankens.

I decided to acquire the watch. From the research I did, everything looked fine and I liked the price to condition ratio. Have yet to properly polish the crystal, but couldn't resist taking some beauty shots.

DSC_0806.jpg

DSC_0810.jpg

DSC_0812.jpg

DSC_0814.jpg

DSC_0811.jpg

I agree that the terminology on the case-back suggests that the mid-case is chrome-plated. You may not care, but it has a huge impact on value.

I agree that the terminology on the case-back suggests that the mid-case is chrome-plated. You may not care, but it has a huge impact on value.

There's not that much information around so it's mostly investigating pieces here and there. I don't think these were made in chrome plating. The gold plated models do have the writing "Stainless Steel Back", but have yet to find a non gold plated model with the same writing. Fratello in their article have one single photo of an identical case back to mine.

Seeing the way the material has aged also suggests it's stainless steel. I'm hardly an expert, so going by gut feeling here. There may be some reasoning to the writing while it's all stainless steel. Or it could really chrome plated. Only a Top Time historian may know.

What matters though is that it's a first execution with the rarer silver dial and decimal scale. I like the models in general and all that makes it even more special to me. I also think the asking price was quite fair for what it is and the condition.
Edited:

Well, it's certainly unusual for a SS watch to have that writing on the case-back, but if you keep researching, I'm sure you'll find some information eventually. Maybe they used some of the case-backs from the gold-plated model on SS watches.

Being a monocoque design, I don't know how removable the case back is. Guess I'll check on that when I send it to a watchmaker for a service. But it's a valid theory.

I didn't realize it was monocoque, given that the plated cases seem to have a case-back made from different material.

Edit: I looked at some photos on the internet, and the case-back appears to be a separate piece, but maybe yours is different.

ee668b2d-aaaf-4b00-8e47-967e9f7692fb.jpg

PC040292.jpg
Edited:

Apparently the first execution was a monocoque case by EPSA. The later versions are snap back. I wish I had the tools and balls to open up the watch and verify if the case back is removable from the top. All I can see is that there's no notch on the case back for a knife.

Can you post a photo from the side. That really doesn't look like a monocoque case.

Congrats on your acquisition. A Top Time is also on my to buy list but there seems to be so many variants and I’ve yet to do any proper research.

Can you post a photo from the side. That really doesn't look like a monocoque case.

There is what appears a thin gap between the back and middle case, but I don't think they're actually separate pieces. It looks identical to cases I've seen advertised as monocoque.

IMG_20240127_011628.jpg

IMG_20240127_011617.jpg

There is what appears a thin gap between the back and middle case, but I don't think they're actually separate pieces. It looks identical to cases I've seen advertised as monocoque.
Sure looks like a separate case-back, but you're holding it in your hands, so you should know.

IMG_20240127_011628.jpg

IMG_20240127_011617.jpg
From the Fratello article, your watch does appear to be a Mark 1.1 which, as you say, is a front loader.

Sure looks like a separate case-back, but you're holding it in your hands, so you should know.

It does look like the thin gap is ornamental, but hard for me to tell even under magnification. Opening up the case and checking the inside or simply pushing the case back would be the real test.

A zoomed in crop from the photos above

IMG_20240127_013514.jpg

From the Fratello article, your watch does appear to be a Mark 1.1 which, as you say, is a front loader.

Indeed.