Forums Latest Members
  1. Felice79 Jan 16, 2019

Hey all,

the 2998 virus struck me...;)

A dealer not too far away has a nice (to my eye) example, that looks pretty much right. The crown is a service crown. Anything else the experienced Pros out there see?

The bezel is a bit beaten (i admit: i LIKE that...), and has a greenish/blue touch to it.

https://www.chrono24.de/omega/speedmaster-ref-2998-5--id8863239.htm

Thanks a lot, i apreciate your feedback before driving a 2 hour way to Munich.

Cheers-

F

2. mac_omega Jan 16, 2019

Hi F,

first of all I would like to see the movement before I take a 2 hours drive to Munich...

my observations:

1) later replacement crown
    2) replacement sub-counter hands (at least 2 of them are far too white and look brand new)
    3) not sure about the lume - maybe it was already messed around a bit?
    4) bracelet does not show details - I am afraid it is a bit later than the watch (probably a 1039)

airansun and Felice79 like this.
  3. Felice79 Jan 16, 2019

Thanks a lot, very valuable. You are so right about the sub counter hands!!

Concerning the lume: The seller said he checked the it with UV and it appears to be original.

I would definitely ask for movement pictures before driving down.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 16, 2019

Nice watch ... I have a 2998-6 with a green fade to the scruffy bezel which I love. Most important thing IMO is to see the movement, dust cap and SN. Replacement Crown, Sub hands...common. I have never heard anything bad about this dealer though. They always have nice watches for sale.

Felice79 and airansun like this.
  5. Psych Jan 16, 2019

It's an attractive watch overall with a very nice dial. Strange that there are no movement shots.
    Whether or not it is a good buy would depend on the price. What are they asking?

Felice79 and airansun like this.
  6. BenBagbag Jan 16, 2019

Highly highly highly saturated photos. Some make dial look jet black, others faded. Some make dial look green, others black. :thumbsdown:

These are classic classic dealer photos. I have no clue what this actually looks like. Ask for a new photo.

(Calling @ICONO, can this photo be re-balanced to give us a sense of what it really looks like?)

7. ICONO Jan 16, 2019

Hello Ben....thanks for the cue......something odd happening here, with these images

Firstly....The contrast range has been dramatically enhanced ( artificially ) .......& it has lost definition, as a result

The 'green fade' apparent in some of the bezel imagery....is probably 'over emphasised', by the green background that the watch is resting on...and that same ambient 'green light' is subsequently being bounced, around the subject, by the reflecting surfaces ........( light absorbs the colour it strikes, & transmits it on ....rather like holding a yellow Buttercup under your chin )

Also,because of the way colour correction works:

1) The 'Green bezel' images show a blacker dial ?,..... because more green filtration is factored in,.... knocking back the red / brown

2) The 'Brown dial' images show a blacker bezel ?.....because more red / brown filtration is factored in.....knocking back the green

I suspect some post editing digital ' layer masks' have also been used to selectively affect certain areas.....

I would want to see a lot more unfiltered natural daylight, ( 5500 K ) photographs, to really see the true colour of the watch

The watch may well contain elements of both green & brown....but I very much doubt, they are as pronounced, as the current photography suggests....

Edited Jan 16, 2019
  8. Felice79 Jan 16, 2019

I just asked them. They are asking 28,5k€ before any negotiation.

Psych likes this.
  9. Felice79 Jan 16, 2019

Thanks @BenBagbag for bringing this up, and thanks @ICONO for the details - you are right.And as interesting as these insights are, i would have to look at it in person anyway. If i invest in a watch so valuable, it will have to speak to me, send the right vibes, etc.

"Classic dealer pictures" puts it right. THANKS guys.

10. ndgal Jan 16, 2019

What does that mean? Is there a photography school where dealers attend to learn how to take pictures of watches? ::confused2::

11. ndgal Jan 16, 2019

Like in this image? ::shy::

[​IMG]

So much conspiracy... Jeeeezz... :rolleyes:

12. ndgal Jan 16, 2019

All conspiracy theories aside, watch looks good.
    With the exception of the service crown and replaced/repainted subdial hands it appears to be all original including the lume which shows the typical aging/blackening spots common on these.
    Anyone who has actually seen these faded to Green DON bezels in person can attest that they do look like that in real life without any "trick-photography".

I would inquire about the bracelet and end links (should be a 7077/7912 with #6 end links) as it holds a big chunk of the value...
    The one pictured on the watch has folded links so it is most likely younger than the watch. (1035 or 1067)

Bottom line is the asking price. How much is it?

Larry S, Felice79 and eugeneandresson like this.
  13. BenBagbag Jan 16, 2019

Give me a break. I get that you are a dealer who participates on the forums (and I genuinely appreciate that you're here, really) so you may take offense to what I'm saying. Your pictures are professionally done and are likely as good a representation of the watch as private sellers here. But for every dealer that takes professional but honest pictures we see OP style dealer photos.

Take a stroll through Chrono24. OP pics are a dime a dozen.

14. ICONO Jan 16, 2019

Mmmmm…Green Bezel, & Black Dial ?…as opposed to Black Bezel, & Brown Dial ?…in the other images

You did actually read the rest of the post, regarding how the introduction of selective colour filtration, can affect the colour balance
    …before launching your cheap shot ?

If you doubt my assessment ?…simply compare the variation in ‘warmth index ’ of the lume...in the Green Bezel ( 2/16 ) image....compared to the Brown Dial, (10/16) image ? …Are you able to discern the difference…& question why that should occur ?

I have been a Professional Advertising Photographer, for ‘blue chip’ Companies across Europe, for over 30 years.....but what do I know ??

15. ndgal Jan 16, 2019

First, I do not take any offense whatsoever.
    Second, I don't know that there is such a thing as "Dealer photos".
    Not everyone is a professional photographer. Most people just stick the watch in a light box and take some quick shots with a point & shoot. Not really caring about white balance, focus, or reflections.
    Watch dealers are watch dealers. If they were professional photographers, they would do weddings & Bar-Mitsvas...
    I don't think that most dealers take intentionally crappy pictures in order to hide stuff or deceive potential buyers.

JC75 likes this.
  16. ICONO Jan 16, 2019

Curiously.....the world of accomplished advertising imagery is much smaller than you think.....one is aware, of one’s peers

I know of one notoriously tricky, ‘ex member’ & Dealer, of this Forum…who had a professional photographic relationship...with a skilled ‘ex employee’ of mine......

The resultant images were anything, but ‘crappy’.....they were intentionally, & subtlely deceitful

Is the practice widespread ???…Draw your own conclusions

17. Felice79 Jan 16, 2019

Is any thread that i ever post here going to turn weird?! ;)

Thanks a lot for the great advice, i now know all i need to know. The part about colors and photography is interesting, but NO photography can tell me the actual look and feel of a watch. Don't forget about your monitor's settings, too...It's perfectly fine to drive 2 hours and take a look / hold it in my hands. After all, if one is willing to spend this amount of money on a watch, a 2hr drive (ok, 4 hours both ways...) is the least you have to expect! And there's other great places to visit in munich, too.

Thanks again.
    Felix

MaiLollo likes this.
  18. Felice79 Jan 16, 2019

28.5k €

19. ndgal Jan 16, 2019

If you have the opportunity to see the watch in hand that will obviously be the best.
    Good luck!

Felice79 likes this.
  20. toddle321 Jan 17, 2019

Pay attention to the Alpha hands when you see it in person, the hour hand looks a little flat to me. Original hands have a slight curvature, the modern hands (FOIS, service) are flat. Good luck!