Forums Latest Members
  1. FED Feb 12, 2016

Dear Omega fanatics,

I am looking at acquiring this 1964 Speedmaster with the brown 'tropical dial'. Firstly I'd like to hear your views on the watch from an authenticity perspective, and also a likely value perspective. It is the first vintage omega I am considering buying so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fraser

Omega 1.jpg Omega 2.jpg Omega 3.jpg Omega 4.jpg
  2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 12, 2016

KstateSkier likes this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 12, 2016

4. rolexfantastic Feb 12, 2016

Built up watch. Stay away.

5. Javi22 Feb 12, 2016

Can we see better pics?

6. FED Feb 12, 2016

Thank you all for your advice thus far.
    rolexfanatic - what exactly do you mean by a 'built up watch'?
    Javi22 - apologies for the poor quality of the photos. I can take more but need to visit the broker again to do so...
    From the articles I have read I think the price I'm being quoted is pretty rich to be honest.

7. rolexfantastic Feb 12, 2016

I mean it's an assembly of parts. Not an original watch.

8. E-diddy Feb 12, 2016

If 19m serial, the movement belongs in an earlier watch.

9. Faz Feb 12, 2016

Not that I disagree with you but why can't you substantiate your assertion? ::confused2::
    Do we have to read your mind? Or maybe it's a secret?
    Honestly those pics can't reveal anything concrete othere that it MIGHT be a put-together so I struggle with your statement unless you have an "in" on this watch or you have eagle eyes.

10. Davidt Feb 12, 2016

The movement is too early. The serial, clutch bridge and adjustment indicator (probably not the correct terms) pre date the 105.003-64, so possibly from a Seamaster.

The rest of the parts are correct. The caseback looks like it only has a single step but this must just be the angle of the picture).

The main problem for me is that it's been billed as a tropical dial, and presumably priced as such. Now this is only my opinion, but the dial looks flat and worn out rather than tropical. It may be the poor pictures though.

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 12, 2016

No secrets, but there is a lot of information out there.
    And its free to anyone who types in www.speedmaster101.com

This forum is full of people who love to help, and sometimes we can be a bit short, because, well - we are human. And sometimes the questioner less due diligence - so it can feel as though we are being asked to do all the work for them. Some times we love to do it, and sometimes we are not in the mood. Don't take it personally.

@rolexfantastic is quite right, This is quite an obvious assembly, or at the very least, a movement transplant. For all the reasons @Davidt3449 points out. Whenever I look at a speedmaster the very first thing I do is check the serial is in range.

The dial looks to me like it spent a lot of time outside of a watch - its dry, degraded, damaged - as though it had been in a watchmakers reject drawer. Another pointer to an assembly.

I wonder who is offering it, and for how much? (My bet is a dealer and $10,000+)

For a price, anything is worth having. This one is worth the price of components, so Case ($1200 -2000) Dial (500-3000 depending on how it really looks) and bezel ($800) and movement ($1500 if working and speedmaster, less if not).

So my guess is it is worth $3000-5000 on an open auction, but much more if the buyer doesnt read this and thinks it is an original tropical 105.003.

Which it isnt.

This is:
    P1050010-001.jpg

P1050010.jpg
  12. Faz Feb 12, 2016

As I said I don't disagree and I also agree with your statement but why take the time to reply to the post by not saying more than that?

If you take the time to reply "put together" or "fake" why end it there? 100% guaranteed that the OP will ask "why and what" in a follow up post.
    As many do, and to your point, a simple link to Speedmaster 101 is much more helpful than not substantiating an assertion. The OP can then do his homework...
    Cheers

13. FED Feb 13, 2016

I really appreciate all your comment (particularly the more detailed ones). Since I don't know an awful lot about Speedmasters, I'm very glad that I made the post as now I have a much better understanding of what to look for when I find an alternative example. I will be sure to pick your brains again when the time comes. Thanks all!

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 13, 2016

Sometimes it's quicker to just tell the OP "Fake, run" or "Franken" to allow them a timely cancel or withdraw from a sale.

Time is of the essence in cases like this.

Justifications and explanations can come later

Traveler, STANDY and gemini4 like this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 13, 2016

No offence to Faz or FED but sometimes when someone like FED who joined today and asks a question that experienced members can tell from the photos what a watch is. We find it hard to go into the whole story of when where and why a watch is a redial or whatever as this might be our time to have a look at what we are interested in. With two links to Speedmaster 101 already. I for one am guilty of the " run runaway fast" comments at times...

16. Psych Feb 13, 2016

You shouldn't apologise folks. My experience of this forum is that free (yes, free) and impartial expert advice is available within minutes. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

cristos71, flame, Archer and 4 others like this.