Forums Latest Members
  1. bmmcguir14 Feb 8, 2016

I was really hoping to solicit some opinions on this one. I only included pictures of the dial and movement, as everything else looks good. Lume is very dark, and the seconds subdial might have a little damage. What do people think?

Case is unpolished and the lugs look sharp. The crystal is very scratched but that isn't a big problem. Seller says that the chrono hour hand sticks at zero for a period of time after starting it. This does concern me. I was thinking of bidding somewhere between "running" and "good" pricing on the speedmaster101 chart, with the movement being the great unknown.

$_12.jpg 20160204_000757.jpg
    bjhove and Etp095 like this.
  2. Dgercp Feb 8, 2016

The narrow spaced T's suggest a 105.012 and raises concern. Is the bezel DON?
    A caseback pic and serial number would help, I just can't read it from the photo.

LawBrk likes this.
  3. abrod520 Feb 8, 2016

Bezel is DON, and in decent condition - that mark by 160 is the only one. What I want to know is where the 1039/516 bracelet that was shown in the original listing has gone.... I may have made an offer for this one and would be pissed if that weren't included :whipped:

4. LawBrk Feb 8, 2016

We all know how much you love the 1039 @abrod520 ! It's growing on me as I wear mine, so what is the consensus for the ref of this one? The dial/hands point towards 105.012 but the pushers don't look (to me) to be the thin.

5. abrod520 Feb 8, 2016

Haha you're right, I've been running my mouth about the 1039 a lot lately :) (though it's been coming up in discussion). But it's a real value-add on this one, which is why I made a fair-to-high offer.

The watch is a 145.012-67 according to the caseback, serial number could go either way (24M).

The dial with the narrow-spaced Ts does look like it's meant for a 105 but I'm unsure about the hands - were there major differences between handsets on the 105.012 and 145.012? (Might be time for me to pony up for a copy of MWO...)

It also has its original narrow-foot crown, which is another passion point for me on these old watches ;)

Overall this isn't a bad watch (assuming you can have the 321 serviced) but the seller seems to want a bit too much money for it.

6. Davidt Feb 8, 2016

It's hard to give an opinion based on two pics. From what i can see, the case doesn't look unpolished at all.

Need proper pics to offer any real advice.

7. Dgercp Feb 8, 2016

I think hands basically the same except 145 can have drop or squared off chrono hand bottom.

8. LawBrk Feb 8, 2016

My copy of MWO is on its was in the post, but it's coming from "New Joisey". So I'm expecting it will show up in a month or two. Otherwise I'm not sure if there is a serial range where drop chronos are seen, with the dial being close and the pushers being wrong and the hands being maybe suspect. Look at this one with close scrutiny....:cautious:

9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 8, 2016

You have only included a small part of the watch, and to judge a watch properly I need the whole thing.

There are things going on here that already make me wary -

The dial is close spaced T's so not correct in a 145.012
    The drop chrono looks like a dirty superluminova, and so now I want to check all the hands - do they glow too much?
    The dial has a funny look to it - I think it might have been cleaned, or wiped or something - or it could be the photos.
    The movement is not unknown at all! It needs a full service by the sellers own admission. When a 321 exhibits any erratic behavior thats what it needs - unless it has just had a proper service - sometimes they need to be re-adjusted in my experience.
    What are those end links? I think they are unsigned. Therefore added by a seller wanting to maximize the price, which makes me wonder, what else has he added?

The big scary thing is the presence of a 105.012 dial in 145.012 case.

Its an assembly of some kind.

Ironically there are those here that are in desperate need of a 105.012 dial that should buy it and swap the dials!

Optimizer13 likes this.
  10. bmmcguir14 Feb 8, 2016

Holy crap, I didn't even notice the close spaced T's! Caseback definitely indicates 145.012, so yeah maybe this is some sort of frankenwatch. I'm glad I came here first before bidding. I can dump the rest of the pics here later.

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 8, 2016

Or a link?

12. bmmcguir14 Feb 8, 2016

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 8, 2016

Interesting
    Its serial is very early - is it possible that Omega fitted the previous spec dial because it had them?
    While plausible, I feel not.
    The hands glow in a way that I do not think the originals would.
    I dont recall seeing any 145.012 with a close spaced T marking.
    Is it a buy? well I think it is a tad expensive.
    The case looks nice, perhaps refinished but very well done.
    The dial? That stops me. I would not buy this if it were my "Once n a lifetime" purchase.
    Rather if I had a 105.012 with the wrong dial I would buy it and service it, changing the dial and fitting aged hands.
    Seems too much money for all that work.

Optimizer13 likes this.
  14. bmmcguir14 Feb 8, 2016

879731433_o.jpg Thanks for all the advice everyone. In regards to the case condition, what do other people look for to determine if it has been polished? I've just been using a picture like the one below to see that the top and sides have a proper brushed finish, and the edge that separates brushed and mirrored is sharp. What else should I be looking for?

15. LawBrk Feb 8, 2016

One would expect that a watch in its 50s to have some age spots. The surface to show that it has been "living" for all those years either in a sock drawer or on a wrist from time to time. The above example is very "tidy" in terms of patina, hence the suspicion of a refinish (although nicely done).

16. Optimizer13 Feb 8, 2016

I agree that there something fishy about the dial...kinda looks like an "oven" failure (tropical attempt)...

Spacefruit likes this.
  17. bmmcguir14 Feb 9, 2016

Could this be an older service dial? Spacefruit mentioned narrow spaced T service dials used at some point, although I don't know if these all had painted logos. Anyway, just a thought...

http://speedmaster101.com/blog/calibre-321-service-dials/
    "They can easily be spotted as they are tritium, some with T marks of wide spacing, some of narrow (similar to early 105.012’s) and with painted logo dials instead of applied metal logos."

Edited Feb 9, 2016
  18. bmmcguir14 Feb 11, 2016

19. abrod520 Feb 11, 2016

Good catch! Though when I saw that listing a little while ago, I was wondering about the dial lume... It's not dissimilar to mine but still makes me wonder a little bit. Also, is the serial close to the original-posted one?

20. bmmcguir14 Feb 11, 2016

Ehhh, not really. 26.0M for this one vs. 24.9M for the one at the very top. But still, it's got me wondering.

I thought the lume looked a little too good as well, but it does seem to stay within the markers unlike some of the obvious relumes posted here recently.