Forums Latest Members
  1. M. Bozorg Feb 8, 2018

I am a self-admitted NOOB, that would be grateful for some expert eyes on this Seamaster that I am considering. But first I want to thank the community and everyone that contributes - I'm learning so much from this forum.

I've tried to do my homework... I am learning to focus on the dial for originality, movements, and cross-check pictures with reference models.

This (https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-de-ville-cal-565-650.62615/) seems to be a good cross reference and to my eye, it checks out nicely.

Of course there are the crosshairs.. but again they also seem clean and don't suggest a redial, based on what I could gather from this post (https://omegaforums.net/threads/crosshair.7889/)

I also don't think that the movement has been frankened (the serial number, caliber and year all line up, and the parts are roughly the same colour / wear). the first 3 numbers on the case back (166) also seem consistent with the model type.

The seller says its an original dial. It looks very clean though without much patina so i am guessing its been buffed.If anything my overall sense is that the watch is 'too clean / fresh' if there is such a thing...

So I am wondering:

1. Any advice, or red flags? I would be most grateful!
    2. What does the blue stamp on the inside case back signify?

thank you

M. Bozorg.

10.jpg 9.jpg 8.jpg 7.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg
    Bumper, Noddyman and cristos71 like this.
  2. micampe Feb 8, 2018

I think it looks nice and correct, even the crystal with logo and magnifier.

The blue stamp was probably left by the watchmaker at a previous service.

If you get it please remove that strap.

Spruce and M. Bozorg like this.
  3. BenBagbag Feb 8, 2018

4. OmeNewb Feb 8, 2018

M. Bozorg likes this.
  5. BenBagbag Feb 8, 2018

haha must be same seller with the same tacky green NATO on each. Good luck. Hopefully you won't have so much competition in the end!

OmeNewb and M. Bozorg like this.
  6. cristos71 Feb 9, 2018

Looks to me to be a nice watch in very nice and original condition. I can't comment on the condition of the movement only to say it looks very clean and from the nice sharp screw heads I'd say it hasn't been messed about with.

In fact the watch as a whole looks like it hasn't seen much wrist time over the years, which is good from the condition standpoint but also will generally point to a service being absolutely necessary due to dried oils.

A great watch for a starting collector IMO, depending on the price of course?

Edited Feb 9, 2018
    M. Bozorg likes this.
  7. kreyke Feb 9, 2018

Great dial and original crystal but the case is very heavily polished. Uneven as well. The lugs have lost their bevel. On the case back, there is meant to be a protruding circular border around the hippocampus but it is missing.

EDIT: added an example (photo from google)
    CD841B61-56B3-4F63-AAC5-B1A7479BDE56.jpeg

You have to factor that in and consider hard if it will bother you. I thought it wouldn't when I first started collecting but boy was I wrong.

Edited Feb 9, 2018
  8. Kwijibo Feb 9, 2018

just something else, may be not very important, the 565 has not this regulator. Lokks more like a 552 one. Not important unless it means the movement was changed
    regulator.jpg

9. M. Bozorg Feb 9, 2018

10. micampe Feb 9, 2018

That’s a different case.

11. kreyke Feb 9, 2018

Can you elaborate?

Edit: I searched for several examples of 166.020 on this forum and it has the either this caseback or one with the “waterproof” word outside the circle. Regardless, they all have a protruding border.

Edited Feb 9, 2018
  12. micampe Feb 9, 2018

In your example the level of the base of the medallion and the case outside the lip are the same, which means if you remove the lip the emblem would flat with the rest of the case, while in OP’s watch it is pretty deeply sunk and the top of the hippocampus is level with the case, which means that there is no way to go from your example to OP’s by removing metal around the medallion.

Besides it just doesn’t look polished, why would you need to polish a case back so heavily that such a big lip is completely removed while the hippocampus still looks so thick and defined.

ChrisN and BenBagbag like this.
  13. ChrisN Feb 9, 2018

Can you elaborate on what you're seeing wrong here?

Both 552 and 565 have the same regulator... Part 72205501331
    Pointer is 72204701332 for both.

I've seen both these styles as well.

I also think it's only the lower right lug that appears to have been damaged and then heavily polished (not brilliantly). The other lugs are fairly sharp but have clearly seen a polishing wheel at some point. As @cristos71 says, depends on the price :rolleyes: although it looks a nice watch overall.

Cheers, Chris

14. micampe Feb 9, 2018

I think he means the swan neck adjusting spring, part 1356, sometimes you see it with the ball at the end and sometimes straight. I think 5631356 has the round end and 5501356 has the straight end but just by looking at pictures online it’s not clear which calibers used which one.

Edited Feb 9, 2018
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 9, 2018

Correct - however there is really only one part now available from Omega, and that's the one with the rounded end.

Personally I feel this difference is being overemphasized - it's a "nothingburger" in my view and not a sign of anything nefarious. If I go back and look at the last couple dozen 55X, 56X, and 75X watches I've serviced, it's a mix and match with straight and rounded found on all different calibers.

Cheers, Al

isaacg and ChrisN like this.
  16. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Feb 9, 2018

The lugs are a mess.

17. M. Bozorg Feb 9, 2018

Thank you all for your advice, and in particular about pointing out the potential concerns with the polishing. I'm thinking hard about the case back and trying to figure out if the condition of the lugs should be a deal breaker or not. So far i've come across this (http://www.wristtimes.com/blog-1/2014/5/30/what-do-thin-lugs-look-like) ... are there any resources on OF I should read up on? thank you all again for the guidance

18. cristos71 Feb 10, 2018

There's a lot of criticism about this one which I personally find quite an attractive watch for a self professed Noob ( the OP ).

This is not a €15K Speedmaster or Seamaster 300 where small condition issues can knock thousands off the accepted market rate.

I do think in this case where the watch in question is valued in the hundreds the amount of critique levied at it should first be balanced with the price before writing it off as a bad purchase. If the watch is around €400 then a lot can be forgiven, if the asking price is €1200 that changes things somewhat, OP what is the asking price?

M. Bozorg likes this.
  19. M. Bozorg Feb 10, 2018

Hi thank you cristos71 for putting things in that perspective. My bid of 810 USD on the auction ended up winning it, which I guess may be a bit on the higher side of some of the prices I’ve seen on the OF marketplaces... but I’m still thrilled about it nonethelsss and so thankful to everyone for weighing in. I hope I can contribute and help others on here some day too. Now on to strap hunting!

20. micampe Feb 10, 2018

Congrats! Here’s some strap inspiration.

13AA97C2-41AC-4D35-89A4-BE628121D2FF.jpeg

973FAC50-0EFB-4723-BAA2-4CD1DF8594EE.jpeg