Forums Latest Members

advice on 1603 datejust?

1. watch3s Jul 22, 2018

Hey everyone, what would you say is a fair price for a vintage datejust like this
    [​IMG]
    it does have papers, but no box. condition is everything, and its not in a bad shape, definitely plan to ask for additional pictures. but just on the surface, would $2500 be a fair price?

TIA

2. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jul 22, 2018

$2,500 is a good number to continue to inquire but from the initial review of the picture, appears a bit high. I would not pay a premium for the paper, I prefer condition!
    Things to consider - Check on what what type of papers, punched? Year of production to continue your research.
    Get other pictures of the bracelet, reference numbers, etc.
    You can see what appears to be signs of a bit of polish on the lugs, obviously need other pictures.
    A nice datejust beater in the $2k range would be great..
    Good luck.

watch3s likes this.
  3. watch3s Jul 22, 2018

@TTG appreciate the wise words and advice. I am mainly looking for this datejust to be a daily/beater indeed. Im also wary as the seller has no history on the forums, and nothing offered in terms of references. They say for vintage rolex papers don't mean so much, and I definitely dont see them worth the premium either. It is refreshing to see that $2k for a datejust is doable.

4. Dan S Jul 22, 2018

I feel like those thin lugs have been polished to death. However, if you're ok with the condition, I certainly wouldn't pay more than $2500. Superficially it sounds like a good price for a 1603, but the lugs are a problem for me.

watch3s likes this.
  5. watch3s Jul 23, 2018

definitely looking for a better one, dont mind paying for better condition. i suppose im looking on how to gauge the budget range too. so far it looks like $2k-$2.5k should buy a decent 4 digit datejust. in the past i managed to get a tt 5 digit with papers for $2.5k, which kinda puts things in perspective.

6. ICONO Jul 23, 2018

IMHO…It is not a very attractive dial anyway …& looks to have patina on it ( from your image )

The bracelet is stretched…and lugs looks slender…winding stem might be bent ?

Much better examples out there……keep persisting

watch3s likes this.
  7. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jul 23, 2018

X-Ray vision?!
    JK LOL

8. ICONO Jul 23, 2018

Just a little visual acuity, from being an Advertising Photographer, for 30 years

Tiny, & almost imperceptible discrepancies, & imbalances…register for me

The crown looks offset, & the gaps in the Jubilee bracelet links, look tired & ‘skew whiff’ ( English expression )

The rest is obvious

No offence taken whatsoever

watch3s and frederico like this.
  9. frederico Jul 23, 2018

Ja, that dial looks dirty, and not in a good way :(

10. watch3s Jul 23, 2018

thanks for the wise words, i will wait and watch patiently, hopefully good things come to those who wait. walked away from the for sale sections of the forums and always miss somethings. but the good thing is eventually theyll come around again

11. WatchVaultNYC Jul 23, 2018

I have never warmed up to the machine-turned bezels..

12. Dan S Jul 23, 2018

I like them, but probably for the same reason that I wear my DJs on oyster bracelets instead of jubilee. Gives them a sportier look.

watch3s likes this.
  13. watch3s Aug 6, 2018

but jubilees so rattlely but so comfortable! i think the last time i had a datejust the jubilee was so stretched i wore it on a leather. looking at a 16030 atm as well.