Forums Latest Members

Advice Omega Mitsukoshi Dial/hands

1. Albe100 Oct 28, 2016

Hi guys,

I'm looking to add a panda to my speed masters. I had a Marui but prefer the 42mm and love the metal hands on the Mitsukoshi. A real one is like a unicorn in the wild, and if I did see one my budget would allow for it. So in conclusion I'm looking for a speedy pro with service dial and hands. I ve attached photos of the one I'm looking at and willing to make an offer slightly above the 3K mark. He says the watch is 2011 and he recently had it serviced. Will have it opened if I say I want to buy, so no movement pics yet. It has 840 end links.

There is another model that comes with box and papers but not the original dial for about 500 more. It's also missing the chrono metal hands.

Just looking for advice on whether it looks legit and if the price see,s fair vs finding a dial, hands and a speedy individually.

Thanks!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 28, 2016

What exactly are you asking here?

Its already modded and just above 3k? Your post is a little unclear.

3. Albe100 Oct 28, 2016

Sorry, for the unclear post.

Yes the one posted has been modified. I want to make sure that the case seems correct for 2011 speedy and that the price seems reasonable for a mod with no documents or original dial/hands.

The other options are: 1 with the mod, missing the metal Chrono hands but comes with all paper work. Priced about 500$ more.

2 buy a speedy and hands/dial separately and have it modified.

Mostly looking for guidance advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. yinzerniner Oct 28, 2016

Dial and hands alone will cost ~$550-750 now since Omega cut off their parts supply last year.
    Labor for swapping hands will be $50-150.
    So add that premium to whatever you think is the fair market value of a stock Speedy Pro given the year, condition, accessories, provenance, etc.
    Personally, any post-2000 speedy should come with box and papers. It shows me that the previous owner(s) were careful enough to keep everything intact, so they were probably similarly careful with the watch itself. I know it's a generalization, but it's one I adhere to. YMMV.
    Also, if it comes without original hands/dial you should deduct that price - roughly $250-400.
    More pictures and/or details about the two Mitsu-modded pieces you're considering would also help for soliciting advice from other OF'ers. But either way good luck with the search.

Albe100 likes this.
  5. rollee Oct 28, 2016

I suggest do the mod yourself, if you can buy the Mitsukoshi dial and full handset.
    Many mods omit the smaller silver chronometer hands; unsure the reason.

I love the Mitsukoshi as well, to my understanding the differences to the 3570.50 are the panda dial and all silver hands, both beats 1861 movement.
    Please share if I am mistaken on this.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 28, 2016

Well, the hands are available on ebay for about 100 I think, and budget around 75-150 for a qualified watch maker to replace the hands.

All cases since 1968 are pretty much identical and photgraphs are not going to show you anything.

Best case I've been able to figure out for making your own is predicated on finding a late 70's early 80's watch with good hands and bezel to resell and recoup some money. I think the math all in is between $2800 - 3500 minimum to build with watch maker time.

My personal feeling is that paper work on a watch from the the 80's to current is not really adding any value to the watch. I may be proven wrong but that is how I see it. On a "hot rodded" watch paper work is also pretty meaningless.

Darlinboy likes this.
  7. gostang9 Oct 28, 2016

I bought new modern Speedy with full kit and accessories (including straps, loupe and spring bar tool) for $3550 USD shipped from Chitownwatch. I bought authentic dial and hands (not Mitsukoshi as I prefer look of the 3569.31) for ~$500. Then I paid a watchmaker in the range already listed here and so for just over $4000 I have essentially a new watch, that won't need a service for a few years, had no marks or damage on it, and looks absolutely fantastic.

I have the B&P although not sure if there's much value in that since the case has been opened and dial/hands swapped.

zizou73 likes this.
  8. Albe100 Oct 31, 2016

Thanks guys for the feedback. I think I'll go the do it yourself route. At least you know the mods were made on a proper speedy and I can choose to recover some funds with the dial and hands or keep it if I ever choose to sell.
    The prices mentioned are in the ball park range I've been finding.

Box and papers are good, but at a price, but I see the argument of them being void once the mod is done. It was more to have as a reference to the movement/serial of the watch.

9. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 31, 2016

I did a mod with my 3572.50. Just be sure to keep all the original parts. I had mine for about 2 years, then put it back to original. I still have the donor dial and hands (apollo panda) and hope to find another donor watch for a deal and then I will use the hands/dial again. You should be able to easily find the hands for $100 and LE dials seem to be going for $400-500 range, but I have not seen the Mitsokushi dial, so not sure on that price.

Albe100 likes this.
  10. waterproofpt Nov 1, 2016

I managed to find a dial and hand set. .... for just under $700 total. (I lucked into finding a Mitsukoshi dial. Found a 3570.50 for $2200. $250 for a complete service including the dial and hands swap. and .... Bobs yer uncle. It's done. Plus it was fun sourcing the parts. Great experience and now I have the conversion and a good (spare) dial and handset for the original 3570.50. Well worth going the diy route in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Foo2rama and Taddyangle like this.
  11. Scepticalist Nov 2, 2016

Opinion time - I'm thinking of doing this conversion. Pretty much decided I like the look of keeping the subdial hands white and changing main hands for silver, but I'm undecided on the chrono hand. Thoughts?

12. Maganator Nov 2, 2016

I would do the complete conversion and have all the hands silver.

I have the dial and hand set and this is what I am planning to do when I find a 1861 at a decent price to snap up.

Albe100 likes this.
  13. pascs Nov 2, 2016

I went with the thin silver chrono hand

[​IMG]

Scepticalist and Maganator like this.
  14. Maganator Nov 2, 2016

I like this a lot!

Any more pictures?

15. pascs Nov 2, 2016

[​IMG]

Sub dial hands look a bit off white but i think thats just caused by the macro lens i was using

[​IMG]

Group shot

[​IMG]

Albe100 likes this.
  16. Maganator Nov 2, 2016

Great, thanks. I think your choice of chrono hand really works there but the whole thing looks superb. Love the bezel too. Thanks for sharing.

17. Scepticalist Nov 2, 2016

I like it - what ref is the chrono hand from - struggling to find one on eBay right now?

I'm currently tempted to see if STS would be willing to order a lumed "snoopy" bezel and fit it also.

18. gostang9 Nov 2, 2016

I agree with this, and it's what I did. The silver is more subtle and suits the overall look - it's also true to the original look of the LE dial.

I will admit the all silver hands is not the best for visibility at all angles, but by rotating your wrist slightly it's easy to find an angle where the light reflects off the silver making it more visible.[​IMG]

Rollie-Elvo likes this.