Forums Latest Members

[Advice Needed] Work Anniversary Gift

1. watchos Apr 20, 2018

I was tasked with coming up with a short list of watch suggestions for employees' 10 year work anniversaries at the company I work - most are engineers, designers, other professionals. Based on the loose feedback I got, I've written up a set of guidelines. Could use your help with the requirements below and some watch suggestions.

The objective is to make this as standard as possible for current and future employees. We'd like the watch to become iconic within the company so that those who join the company can see it as an achievement symbol within our team.

Will make sure I update suggestions in this post so that this guideline can easily be used for others needing the same for their workplaces.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Purchasing Guidlines

Price Range: $1,500 - $3,000 USD.

Specs:
    - Case Dimensions: Not important that it's available in multiple sizes.
    - Diameter: 38 - 41 mm.
    - Between Lugs: 20 mm.
    - Case Material: Stainless Steel.
    - Screw-in crown: Not required.
    - Crystal: Sapphire.
    - Caseback: Not important.
    - Bracelet: Link/metal bracelet.
    - Water resistance: 5+ atm.
    - Anti-magnetic: Not required.
    - Tachymeter/Pulsometer is fine.

Caliber:
    - Caliber: Not important, as long as it mechanical ;)
    - Power reserve: Not important.
    - Certified Chronometer: Not important.

Dial:
    - Dial Color: Dark or light, neutral color.
    - Dial Texture: Minimal patterns or textures.
    - Dial Markers: should contain dial markers for every minute and hours.
    - Numerals: Not required.
    - Hand Color: Not important.
    - Acceptable Complications: Chronograph, Date, GMT, Small seconds, or none.

Brand:
    A recognized watch brand that's not considered a high-end, or niche watch brand: Tudor, Tag-Heuer, Longine, Frederick Constant, Nomos, Tissot, etc.

Collection/Model:
    It is currently in production and will likely be available for the foreseeable future(I.e. Seamaster, Aquaterra, Speedmaster, etc). The watch model should not be a limited, anniversary, tribute, or special edition models.

Finally, the watch should have a gender-neutral design.

Updated specs 4/25/2018

Edited Apr 25, 2018
  2. etamov Apr 20, 2018

Would Nomos also be considered niche? I know, not a Swiss brand.

Foo2rama and Linzer like this.
  3. Kmart Apr 20, 2018

Wow, that's quite a list! A couple of these guidelines seem needlessly limiting IMO. For example, I don't think there's any reason to limit the size to 38-41mm. I don't think the movement matters at all since most of the people that would be receiving this watch probably don't know or care to know anything about mechanical watches. If it must be available for purchase at an AD for less than $2,800 MSRP AND it must be a well-known swiss watch brand, that reduces your options to nearly zero. Also, I think it is important that it be available in multiple sizes. That way you can cater to the recipient's wrist size.

All that said, I can think of only one -- well, technically three -- watches that meet your guidelines: the Tudor Black Bay 32 / 36 / 41. Three case diameters to accomodate all wrist sizes, at $2,450 / $2,850 / $2,950 respectively. Available in a black or a blue dial. I've yet to see one in the flesh but I hear they're quite lovely. Definitely a cool look!

[​IMG]

If you're willing to relax a little bit on the brand requirement, however, basically any Nomos watch would be a good choice, as already mentioned above.

Paedipod, sjg22, frederico and 6 others like this.
  4. nmttd2 Apr 20, 2018

You're looking at the Longines/Tag range here. You cant really get any Omega with all your criteria.

Foo2rama and watchos like this.
  5. watchos Apr 20, 2018

Thanks for the feedback. Nomos was the first one I thought off, but not sure how many people actually have heard of them in certain parts of the world.

My first choice and suggestion was the hesalite Speedmaster Pro due to its heritage and coolness. I've seen the watch be available for as low as $3,500 via gray market dealers.

The concern there is that they'd like to have everything legally in order and they told me they weren't sure what it actually meant not buying from an authorized dealer. Is there any issue buying from a legitimate dealer that's not an official reseller?

The list was this "strickt" mostly based on the feedback that I got initially: Trying to make this as objective as possible, since it will hopefully be a descion that will last for hopefully the next 5-10 years. What requirement changes should I tweak? Perhaps I am over engineering this and put myself into a corner ;).

That Tudor is an excellent choice.

I've been pushing to raise it to $3,800 but need a fallback in case purchasing doesn't approve.

(This has been a fun "project" this week. Have been diligently revising the requirements, but it's not an easy task - because I know my personal bias gets in the way.)

6. watchos Apr 20, 2018

My only concern is that not a lot of people know about it from what I've hear. I only leaned about them as I started getting into watches last year.

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 20, 2018

8. watchos Apr 20, 2018

9. watchos Apr 20, 2018

I am not a bit fan of rosting bezels. Any thoughts on having one? Do people generally like them?

10. AnotherDon Apr 20, 2018

You need to go back to management and convince them that their requirements and budget are unreasonable. First, you won't be able to find a suitable watch within your parameters for $1.5k - $2.8k. Secondly, you should consider how this "award" will be perceived by the recipients. "I've poured my blood, sweat, and soul into this company for 10 years and they gave me a $1,500 watch (that I have to pay income tax on). Woohoo." They might rather have the cash or a shotgun. You can get a nice shotgun for $2,800.

That $1,500 to $2,800 equates to $150 to $280 per year of service. Seems to me that a more reasonable budget would be in the $5,000 to $6,000 range.

Just my $0.02

11. watchos Apr 20, 2018

Agreed. Hence me pushing for the Speedmaster.

What watches would you suggest at the $5-$6k range?

12. gemstar Apr 20, 2018

Why not just create your own brand to match your company? I'm sure by creating your own niche will set a mark for now and in the future.Just have a custom watch made representing your own company.

13. watchos Apr 20, 2018

I thought about that, but feels like it could be a pretty huge distraction but could be a fun project to work on.

gemstar likes this.
  14. AnotherDon Apr 20, 2018

Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Omega Constellation Globemaster
    IWC Mark XVIII Pilot's Watch
    IWC Enginieur

Just to name a few.

watchos likes this.
  15. 77deluxe Apr 20, 2018

Any Hamilton

16. nmttd2 Apr 20, 2018

The speedy pro 1861 or 1863 movement is not a certified chronometer either.

watchos likes this.
  17. watchos Apr 20, 2018

True, but it's the best option imo.

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 21, 2018

Longines... the COSC requirements going to hamper you. That price range plus COSC really makes it tough.

Longines is respected and still dumps a lot into marketing for sports. Fits the budget perfectly and the more then a few lines are gender neutral and come in multiple sizes. I’d look at the Record. Which is COSC.. I guess most Longines are COSCas fits their title for winning the most competitions for accuracy.

For the record in my industry people get swords, shields, and helmets for work anniversaries.

Edited Apr 21, 2018
  19. Bushido Apr 21, 2018

I just had to look up what industry rewards those things! A quick internet search comes up with you working at Blizzard? Or...a time traveling, technologically savvy, medieval knight. Please tell me you're a time traveling knight?!!

Paedipod likes this.
  20. TOTIZ Apr 21, 2018

If it needs to be a globally recognized brand with that budget, then I think Longines and Tag Heuer should go onto the short list.