Forums Latest Members

Advice needed. Watch sent broken and returned broken

1. Jon_Dong Feb 8, 2017

Hi all,

I sent my vintage omega speed master 4.5 to a reputable private watch service/repair company (not omega themselves).

The watch had been dropped and the mainspring was broken and the crown came out and needed securing. I sent it off to be repaired and to be serviced at the same time.

I got it back and all looked well but I soon realised that it wasn't fixed and the following issues had arisen:

1. The day wheel was jammed and I could not adjust the day accordingly. The date moved fine.
    2. It no longer seemed that it wanted to be manually wound. it is an automatic but I could previously manually wind it with the to get it started.
    3. I also notice that when I shook it round in my hand that there was a very lose sounding component within that was not there previously.

They have apologised and I have sent it back but I was interested in peoples thoughts and how I should react?

Regards

Pat

2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Feb 8, 2017

I think your reaction was correct, they didn't do a perfect job the first time round but give them the chance to correct their errors. I must admit their actions do not give you too much confidence and I would expect a quality watchmaker to have better quality control but hopefully it will come back all in order next time round. Were they able to provide any explanations or assurances?

3. Jon_Dong Feb 8, 2017

I spoke to the admin lady there, no the guys in the shop so unfortunately not. I've had 2 other watches done their in the past and have had no issues.

Just a bit gutted really. its been with them for 5 weeks as they were chasing down parts from Omega then I have to send it straight back and wait another week.

its one of my favourites

4. cwindham Feb 8, 2017

UGHHHHHH....... If he doesnt have an Omega parts account you could be in for a long wait.
    Please see my thread on my horror watchmaker ordeal. Many watchmakers/battery changers/jewelers will claim to know how to properly service an omega but very few do. If its vintage then its gonna be a mess!
    I advise you to send it to someone who has experience with Omegas. Ask them to show you their work history (watch types,etc...). If its just battery replacements and/or link addition then RUN.....

https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedy-145-022-69.40375/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/strange-chrono-issue-after-service-crystal-issue-as-well.41318/

5. Jon_Dong Feb 8, 2017

I don't really know if I can say who they are and I'm not slagging them off in any way, just a bit disappointed with the result. it could have been damaged in transit.

6. cwindham Feb 8, 2017

Anything is possible but a competent watchmaker would have it back to you fairly quickly. The guy i use now sendt me photos as he progressed. Explaining what is wrong and how he is fixing it. Photos of damaged parts, etc... He explained every step to me on messenger as well. Once he received it he notified me with a picture, once he started taking it apart he sent pics, etc....