Forums Latest Members
  1. Angelod001 Sep 30, 2017

IMG_9569.JPG IMG_9572.JPG IMG_9576.JPG IMG_9573.JPG Hi all, I browsed these forums before buying my first vintage watch 6 years ago, and I'm hoping you could offer some help (again).

I'm looking to get engaged and need to raise some ring money - unfortunately that means selling my circa 1966 Seamaster.
    Honestly I couldn't tell you a huge amount about it. It was purchased from Austin Kaye originally, no original box or papers. It hasn't had a huge amount of wrist time as I only wear it for certain occasions. It's last service was just before I purchased it. I'm sure I probably overpaid for it (£1300) but after a lot of looking it was my personal favourite so I went for it.

I've attached some photos which I hope are good enough, however I'm more than happy to take some better ones.

I was hoping you could give me your thoughts on the watch and offer any advice when it comes to selling it. If there's any extra information I can provide please let me know.
    Thanks in advance.

Edited Sep 30, 2017
  2. kreyke Sep 30, 2017

Hello,

Congrats on finding a wife! When did you purchase this watch? Was it sold as an original dial? I’m not 100% sure about the font of the seamaster. It looks slightly different. Maybe the others can weigh in on it.

If you do plan to sell it, you will need photos of the movement and caseback (from experience) as a lot of buyers will ask for it.

It comes with a nice BoR bracelet. Perhaps about £500-700 if you’re patient enough. There are plenty on eBay. You can do a quick search on sold listings under advance search.

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 30, 2017

The title of this thread has my head spinning from all the possible responses.

4. lillatroll Sep 30, 2017

Are you in the UK? I bought my wedding ring on line from Betts metals. They supply wedding rings to retailers. If you set up an account then you can buy as trade. I bought a platinum ring. When looking on line and in shops the cheapest I found, 4 years ago was 800 pounds for one platinum ring. I paid 256 pound including VAT from Betts metals. Platinum was the most expensive at the time but is the most hard wearing. They supply all the major retail outlets in the UK apparently. Worth checking out. My wife does not wear rings so she got a diamond tiffany necklace instead, which cost a lot more than my ring.

Angelod001 likes this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 30, 2017

:D

I can see your concerns. (Pics of the watch? Or Pics of the wife? How old is the trade item? etc etc).

But for once, I shall remain silent.

Angelod001 and efauser like this.
  6. akshayluc420 Sep 30, 2017

A good woman is worth more than rubies...and certainly more than any watch. Congratulations and all the best!

Angelod001 and Paedipod like this.
  7. Davidt Sep 30, 2017

Your best bet would be eBay with good pictures and as much info as you have in the description.

Unfortunately you need 200 posts to be able to sell here.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 30, 2017

You will have to do a lot better than one wife. A good watch can often fetch better than three wives.

9. Paedipod Sep 30, 2017

Haha.....but understandable......engagement ring for Mrs.P cost me a speedmaster snoopy (2003 edition), an IWC aquatimer, and a Triumph Sprint 955i (and full kit). Still got a good deal.

10. Damo Sep 30, 2017

No woman is worth that!!! :cool:

11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 30, 2017

Can she lift her hand with what must be a boulder-size rock on her finger?

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  12. Angelod001 Sep 30, 2017

Thank you! I bought it about 6 years ago, I'm really not sure on the dial, I'll try to take a better photo when I get home and post it here, if anyone could weigh in on that I'd appreciate it. That said the dealer is supposedly reputable so fingers crossed it's original.

While I'm sure it's not too complicated, I've never opened the case on any watch before but I can look up how to do that.

£500-£700 would be great, aside from those eBay fees, but it has to be done!

13. Angelod001 Sep 30, 2017

Yes I'm in the UK, that's interesting I will have a look into that, thanks

14. Angelod001 Sep 30, 2017

Fill your boots guys, the title was quite deliberate :)

Paedipod likes this.
  15. Paedipod Sep 30, 2017

To the OP. Sorry about the hijack.:whipped: And congrats on finding the right girl.....

Platinum band, complex design and a couple "unusual" pebbles.
    Second go round for both of us.......you get what you pay for:cool:

And more importantly she does not mind when I hang out on OF and buy "stuff". Unfortunately she does know a little too much about the different speedmaster references.

16. panaitchrono Sep 30, 2017

Yes..you'll sell it for less than 1300 GPB...hope it will worth it...and Congrats..:)