Advice needed on Vintage Constellation Pie pan Honey Comb Dial (Ebay)

Hi guys,
New to the forum, been looking at a Constellation Pie Pan for a while now and considering buying this one. Taken my fancy because it's circa.1952 apparently, which would be fitting for the fact it's a gift for my Dad's 70th this year. As of today there's 7 days left on the auction. I'm able to get it sent to a family member who's visiting soon so shipping isn't an issue. Any advice on its quality, authenticity and max price valuation to pay would be gratefully received, just want it to be worth gifting him.

Hoping this post/ the link, ticks all the boxes from @dsio guide, also attached the same pics from the link.

My comments (for what it's worth): Non-original strap which I'm happy to replace anyway. Seems to be a highly rated and trusted seller. Looks like it needs a polish, quite a few scratches on the back casing.

ABOUT THE WATCH:

LINK: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334530854199

Hopefully that's everything you need, please feel free to let me know if can help further. Appreciate your time and effort on this, thank you!

KKP
Des 2.jpg Description.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Watch looks very good to me but I'll let the experts chime in.
The prevailing culture at OF is that it's blasphemous to polish a watch, though in the end it's a personal thing. 😀

I dont see anything major I'd be worried about, the biggest "issue" for me would be the incorrect hands. Note how the minute hand is also too long and protrudes the minute ticks.

The crown is a service replacement, not the original, but that's nitpicking.

The case has seen some polishing before - do note, as mentioned above, that polishing doesnt only remove scratches, but also material from the case. If you do indeed have it polished, make sure to give it to someone who's used to deal with vintage watches and who will carefully avoid polishing the medallion in the caseback. Polishing will indeed destroy a little value and originality, but if you want to gift a watch that looks new-ish and your Dad isnt a hardcore enthusiast I get it.

Regarding price: Try eBay search for sold articles with "Omega 2652", looking for similar configurations. You can do the same here, forum search for "2652" and limit the search to the Private Watch Sales. You'll find a couple of examples for reference.

One last thing, in case you're unaware: Importing the watch from Mexico will mean ~+25% in import duty. Do factor that in when you're bidding.

Watch aside, I’ve purchased from this seller before and had a positive experience 👍

I like the watch ..now all depend which will be the bid to win this watch. Regards.

To me, that watch is in great condition for its age. Movement looks expertly serviced, too.

The hands bother me, but I don’t think it would be difficult to find ones that are more suitable.

If I owned that, I’d consider a really light hand polish of the steel part of the case back. And maybe not even do that.

I am unable to resist vintage Omega bumpers, so feel free to correct me if I’m being overly enthusiastic.

The hands bother me, but I don’t think it would be difficult to find ones that are more suitable.

That's the only point where I'd politely disagree. Finding a handset only (without buying a donor watch and selling the rest of it off as parts) can require significant patience, even if you're willing to open the wallet (100$+) and actively search for them.

The watch has some issues that would dissuade collectors, but I'm sure your father would greatly appreciate the gift, and obviously he would never sell it. Unfortunately, the bidding is already above what I would pay for it given the issues. Sometimes people will over-pay on eBay for watches that have been detailed for sale.

On the hands…. Unfortunately I’ve been spoiled by a nearby watchmaker friend with an enormous inventory of vintage watch parts.

But failing that, this watch would look very nice with replacement hands that are a better fit and “close” to its original style.

That route sends collectability out the window, of course, but still a nice gift or an entry-level vintage Omega for a new collector, even with the drawbacks.

IF the price is right, and at the moment I don’t think it will be….

Very much appreciated all! Great advice and reviews.
I'm now slightly wiser however still just as undecided of whether to purchase or not. Personally, and apologies if this is sacrilege, but I'm more bothered about the watch looking original than I am it actually being original. I'll never sell it on so to a point, financial value is not an issue, collectability is a little more desirable, I guess they go hand in hand. For instance, now the hand discrepancies have been pointed out, I'm slightly put off however still thinking to buy with a view to get them changed at a later date, same with the crown. Personally it'll be worth more sentimentally to me knowing an effort has been made to make it as original as possible, however that's just me. Disappointed that the majority opinion is that its overpriced, I don't like the idea of over paying, screams fur coat no knickers. Leaning towards passing this time, but may wakeup tomorrow with a change of mind.

In the meantime I found the following which seems like a great example to me, has the star on the inside of the case back also which I've not seen before since looking the past few of months. Too pricey for me at this time unfortunately but someone may enjoy reviewing...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17528812...y0oDHW8zv5NjsIudb8srRktIk=|tkp:Bk9SR4SLxtnUYA

Thanks again, will probably post another in the future.

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
If you want a very good 50s Constellation, you’ll need to be prepared to pay 2k+.

The discussed example is currently sitting at ~500$. I know @Dan S stated above that’s already above what he’d pay, given the issues, but do note that doesn’t mean it’ll go for anything that low - it wont. This will easily go beyond the 1k mark and I’d be surprised if it stops below 1.5k.

If you want a very good 50s Constellation, you’ll need to be prepared to pay 2k+.

The discussed example is currently sitting at ~500$. I know @Dan S stated above that’s already above what he’d pay, given the issues, but do note that doesn’t mean it’ll go for anything that low - it wont. This will easily go beyond the 1k mark and I’d be surprised if it stops below 1.5k.

Yeah i was looking to spend around 1.5k, however if the overwhelming opinion is that its not worth that then I'm reluctant to spend the cash, instead wait a while longer, accrue the extra and get something worth the money.

Disappointed that the majority opinion is that its overpriced,
It's not overpriced if it's on a transparent, open market. Unless a seller is shilling the auction the watch is "correctly priced".
Edited: