Forums Latest Members
  1. florianw Oct 14, 2013

I have the chance to buy this Seamaster 300 from 1965/6 and do have some questions.

What do you guys think of the dial with the strong and unusual patina? I like it a lot but a friend of mine says it's just crap because of the uneven surface.

What about the bezel? The 5 looks a bit strange to me. Ok or aftermarket?

The crown does not seem correct to me.

Case and caseback are very sharp and movement looks nice. So what what would be a fair price for this watch in your opinion (head only)?

Thx a lot for your comments!

http://abload.de/image.php?img=mobile.49qhjh4.jpg][​IMG][/URL]

http://abload.de/image.php?img=mobile.50s6uzf.jpg][​IMG][/URL]

http://abload.de/image.php?img=mobile.51yeoip.jpg][​IMG][/URL]

2. sohail Oct 14, 2013

It will help if u can post pic of watch back.....

3. florianw Oct 14, 2013

Unfortunately I do not have a scan of the watch back. Only inner side of case back.

Movement # is 22 M.

[​IMG]

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 14, 2013

I think the dial and hands may have been ru-lumed, these don't typically age to this color.

Crown does look incorrect, the hands are very pitted, bezel looks OK.

This is much more typical of an aged dial.

IMG_4227.JPG

5. flame Speedmaster Neil Oct 14, 2013

Hi

Looks like a naiad crown....so ok for this period sm300....if the case , caseback & movement check out then £1200 - £1400 GBP

Best - Neil

6. florianw Oct 14, 2013

Crown...

[​IMG]

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 14, 2013

OK, in that shot the crown looks fine.

8. florianw Oct 15, 2013

No more comments (especcially on the dial)?

9. flame Speedmaster Neil Oct 15, 2013

Hi

Well it looks like it's had some cosmetic work , but nothing that can't be rectified fairly quickly....it wouldn't put me off particularly if priced well :)

Best - Neil

10. florianw Oct 15, 2013

Hey Neil,

thx for your opinion. I cannot really understand why the patina should be done by cosmetic work. I have seen a lot of re-lumes on Rolexes (my primary field of collecting) but on this Omega everything looks good to me regarding the surface, quantity and form of the lume. Only the colour is unusual. The watch is and was used all its lifetime under sun and humidity of South America, maybe this is an explanation for the colour. But of course, we will never know exactly :)

11. Dash1 Oct 15, 2013

The lume is definitely an unusual colour. One way of checking for original lume (although not 100%) is to look for the 'pinprick' holes in the lume on either the 6 or 12 marker, or both. I can't see them in the posted photos, but maybe you can zoom in if you have high res photos. Everything else looks nice to me.

12. florianw Oct 15, 2013

Thx, Ash, that sounds like an explanation.

13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 15, 2013

From my observations over the years, it seems that the lume formula used by Rolex tends to age differently than that found on Omegas. The example in question looks to me to have been redone to represent what one might expect to see on an aged bubble-back and does not seem to be correct for a naturally aged Omega of this type.

Also if you look at how badly pitted the hands are, I doubt the lume would have survived intact.

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 15, 2013

Unusual color for the lume - the color hue is more consistent with how radium would age. I am also suspicious of how perfect and even the lume looks like given the age shown by the hands and the dial.

15. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 15, 2013

Here is a similar "aged" dial on a complete piece of shit redialed eBay watch.

$T2eC16Z,!ygFIjnTr)G)BSW,NyFlD!~~60_57.JPG

16. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Oct 15, 2013

This watch has significant issues. The redial is shit and wrong (i.e. 120m), the hands and crown are also wrong.

17. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Oct 15, 2013

The watch looks o.k. to me, but I would think it was relumed. First, the color is off. Even if the color was a result of aging, you would not expect to see such even aging on the hands and dial. All said - this could be a nice catch depending on the price. Here is what a typical dial wold look like after 30 years of hard work (belonged to a Navy diver).

[​IMG]