Forums Latest Members
  1. patsjka Aug 19, 2016

Hi guys
    I'm new to this forum and I'd like to ask for some advice from you experienced Omega folk :)

Considering a vintage one via eBay and was wondering if this would be good value for money? How original is dial, hands etc? things you notice that could be a concern? Questions I should ask the seller?

Your help is much appreciated.
    Thank you

------------------------
    ocwatchco

Pictures are of the Actual Watch Auctioned
    Vintage 1953 Men's Omega Manual Wind, 17 Jewels, Caliber 283
    Solid Stainless Steel Case Measures 43 mm From Lug To Lug, 18mm Between Lugs, 36 mm in Diameter "considered a large size from that era"

This Watch Features a Stunning Restored 2 Tine Dial With Gold Hands and Markers.

Comes With Gift Box and Certificate with One Year Warranty Through Our Company

Running Strong and Keeps Excellent Time. Just Serviced (Cleaned, Oiled, Adjusted). Case Polished, New Crystal

One Year Parts and Labor Warranty

s-l1600.jpg s-l16002.jpg s-l16003.jpg s-l16004.jpg s-l16005.jpg s-l16006.jpg s-l16007.jpg
  2. alam Aug 19, 2016

"stunning restored 2 tone dial" = redial (and bad one too) therefore no longer original. Vintage watch collectors will see the movement as the only thing of value on this watch.

patsjka likes this.
  3. Canuck Aug 19, 2016

Original or not, if you like it and are buying it for your own enjoyment, and if you can have it for a price you like, then why not? I rather like it. Some are purists, some are not! I'm not.

patsjka likes this.
  4. westmtn Aug 19, 2016

The problem is that if you end up enjoying the watch (which you probable will) you will end wanting to know more about vintage Omegas. You will have conversations where you have to explain that the dial is repainted. Then you will go online and see stunning examples of originals. Overtime you will start to hate that your watch is a redial. You will eventually decide to sell it to fund an original purchase and you won't be able to get much for it since it's a redial. It's not a good investment for your money or your enjoyment. I never bought a redial but my view towards them has changed significantly over time.

Edward53 and patsjka like this.
  5. Canuck Aug 19, 2016

As always in such matters, there are usually a number of opinions. Decide for yourself, and let us know what you decide to do. Chances are the dial was so bad before it was refinished, that it was a matter of searching out an original dial from a donor watch, or refinish the original dial. I would be interested in knowing if there ever was an instance of someone dead set against refinished dials, ever having had one refinished! Be honest now!

Edited Aug 19, 2016
    patsjka likes this.
  6. novina Aug 19, 2016

It looks good. But it seems to have been heavily polished and of course the redial. I could even see the messy paint job once I blew the picture up a bit. But from a distance, say eyes to hand or beyond, no one will notice it. But as Westmtn said, buying a first Omega is a slippery slope in the Omega world. With that comes knowledge, with knowledge comes judgement on other watches, particularly Omegas. That all said, could mean nothing to you depending on the "why" of the need to purchase an Omega.

To recap, good looking watch, just not a collectors watch. If you are keeping it and can get it for a real good price, do it. If you are looking for an Omega to have a real Omega, pass on it.

Stick around and learn. If you want a real Omega, and not just a good looking vintage watch, check out the sales forum here. They do not allowed any shady watches here.

P.S. Rereading the description, he is giving full disclosure.

patsjka likes this.
  7. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Aug 19, 2016

My two cents. I have a few Omegas with original dials and an old Hamilton with a refurbished dial. Love them all!

patsjka likes this.
  8. Ravineman Aug 19, 2016

A watch that has been redialed can still be beautiful.
    Same is true for a heavily polished case as this one appears to have.
    The watch may not be "collectible" to an antique collector, but it can still look nice and tell time too !
    If you don't plan to try to sell it for a profit, then buy what you like and can afford.

patsjka likes this.
  9. patsjka Aug 20, 2016

Thanks guys this very useful advice. Really makes me think whether I want to go down this route or try and find truly original pieces. Think I'll choose the latter. How can you tell if a dial is repainted / refurbished? Is it a simple case of when it looks too new, it's not original? Or specific other signs? Are certain dials more prone to 're-dialling' than others as they withstand the test of time not as well?

10. patsjka Aug 20, 2016

Very good point, I think it will bother quite soon after. Has made me re-think about what I want. Thanks

11. novina Aug 20, 2016

Redialing happened anytime a dial was damaged in any way. It was common practice when these watches were new. To learn to spot one can be very easy to very hard. Sometimes is is just the text that gives it away, sometimes the markers, lack of lume, addition of lume, color and a hundred other things. The easy ones get be spotted for being to clean for a vintage, but not always, or the lack of precision in the text and graphics. Stick around and learn. Best way to spot them.

12. Edward53 Aug 20, 2016

I very much doubt that anything from that seller will be reasonably priced, original or otherwise.