Forums Latest Members
  1. palkastu Aug 9, 2018

Hi everyone!
    I need some advice regarding a Omega Century in 18k gold.

Im not worried about the authenticity of the watch. Everything checks out.
    The seller is a local watchmaker who Im dealing with from time to time. Ive bought some nice vintage pieces from him before.

The case and bracelet is solid 18k gold. The case have been polished, but its still pretty sharp. The crown has been replaced with a Omega service crown.
    The dial is very nice but has a small mark (I didnt notice it before he told me) just right of the Omega logo
    The seller claims he has tested the dial to be 14k solid gold. Im not sure about that because its missing the OM (Or Massif) markings.

If I remember correctly the watch has a cal. 269 movement and dates to the early 60s.
    I dont remember (and didnt take a picture of) the referance but Ive checked this earlier and it was correct for this model.
    The watch comes with some of the original paperwork and box.

The reason I need your advice: I have a problem quoting a fair price on solid gold watches.
    This has about $1400 of gold value and the seller wants about $1850 for it. Is that a fair price?

Here's some terrible pictures taken today (They are terrible, I know::facepalm1::):
    As you see theres still plastic on the new crystal.
    Omega18k - 1.jpg
    Omega18k - 2.jpg

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 9, 2018

Not sure if the band is original Omega or not. I have seen many aftermarket bands that had the symbol soldered on. Very easy for a good jeweler. I would also want to see all the hallmarks on the case and bracelet.

The only way to know the true gold weight would be to remove the movement from the watch and weigh the bracelet and case alone. I have never seen a 14K Omega made dial. Either 18K gold, or not gold (except the markers, of course).

If everything checks out, then I don't think the price is unreasonable, but I would want to see it a couple of hundred less (who wouldn't?). At that point, it's more about what the package is worth to you vs. what it is worth to anyone else.

Good luck.
    gatorcpa

cbruce likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo Aug 9, 2018

OM is only really relevant later on, before late sixties (early seventies?) it wasn't used that much. I believe there was a thread about it on here half a year ago or so. Even if it is 14K instead of 18K, the difference in content will be minute due to the low weight of the dial.

Edited Aug 9, 2018
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 9, 2018

That makes sense. If it is an acid/whetstone test, then it is at least 14K.

It could be 18K, but that is another test.
    gatorcpa

5. palkastu Aug 9, 2018

Thanks guys!
    I learn something new every day :)
    It wasnt any deal breaker anyway, but its a fun little detail if the dial is gold.

Do you have an opinion regarding the value?
    I havent found many to compare it with online. One would think the original bracelet and box/papers would add some value?

6. ConElPueblo Aug 9, 2018

I doubt that the bracelet is an Omega item, if that is what you mean by "original". IF it were, it would add some value in addition to its gold value. Re. papers, make sure that there is a matching serial number on the paperwork. If there isn't, it wouldn't add value to me.

7. palkastu Aug 9, 2018

Thanks!
    I havent inspected any markings on the bracelet, but if its just made to look like it belongs to the watch I'll loose my interest.
    Ive seen both papers and movement and they match :)

I didnt see this post earlier.
    Thanks, this is what i wanted to know.

If it turns out as you say and the bracelet were made too look like an Omega bracelet, I'll pass. The watch isnt that interesting in it self.
    Ill look for markings on the bracelet tomorrow.

Thanks for the allways impressive expertise @gatorcpa @ConElPueblo :)

8. ConElPueblo Aug 9, 2018

One of my earliest posts on OF was me being very knowledgeable about a gold bracelet I claimed was an Omega item...

:oops:

Well, we all get older and wiser :)

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 9, 2018

Omega authorized bracelets usually have a trademark next to the hallmarks underneath the clasp.

It could very well be the real deal. There is just no way to know from the information provided.
    gatorcpa

10. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 9, 2018

Hi @palkastu

I have to agree with you the watch is not interesting ... and even with the bracelet...

I would pass.... if it was me.

Best

bill

palkastu likes this.
  11. reziprozi Aug 10, 2018

Hey,

I like the watch and for this money I would go for it! Somebody invest time and heart and a few hundred dollar is nothing compared to this beautiful watch!

Imho good invest! And they get rare...

12. palkastu Aug 10, 2018

Thanks, but Ive already lost my interest:unsure:
    He's the same seller who wants to sell me this:
    (He wants $9000 and I think thats a bit much)
    Megaquartz.jpg

13. reziprozi Aug 10, 2018

Oh my .... eyes.... this beauty beast!!! I love this watch forever!!! I have one and can not put it to banksafe :)

Do you checked the watch? 9000$ is a bargain!! But I remembered that this one has a engraved caseback. But still...