Forums Latest Members

Advice needed - looking to buy my first vintage Omega Seamaster.

1. troels_s Oct 15, 2014

Hi,

I've always loved the classic look and feel of the 1950's & 60's Omega Seamasters and have decided that now is a good time to start my own collection. But since I'm new to the game, I could really use some advice regarding a watch I'm looking to buy at an auction. I really like the look of this watch and I like the idea of buying a watch that is not in top condition and put the money in "bringing it back to life".

At the auction, they are a bit sparse with the information regarding the watch. It is a Seamaster 30 (35mm excl. crown) with a mechanical movement with manual winding. And that's about it - no cal. or reference number, although I think it's a Cal. 269 based on similar pictures found on Google. And they haven't pictured the movement.

My main concern is, if anything has been re-done on this watch? I can't see the "Swiss Made" stamp at the bottom of the dial.

What are you guys evaluation of this particular watch?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
    Troels

3581740.jpeg 3581740 (1).jpeg 3581740 (2).jpeg 3581740 (3).jpeg 3581740 (4).jpeg

2. simon Oct 15, 2014

NOT THE BEST EXAMPLE. I THINK YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THAT

3. John R Smith Oct 15, 2014

Troels

This Omega is a bit too recent for me to comment on, as I stick to pre-1955 for my own collection. But what I can see is that this is a gold-capped example, and the case has been really beaten up with quite large nicks and gouges in the gold covering. This is something which cannot be restored by polishing or cleaning. You would be well advised to find an example in much better condition than this to start your Omega journey.

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 15, 2014

I agree with Simon, you can find better specimen than that. However IMO the dial is authentic. Not in good condition but authentic. The swiss made is in the bottom obscured by reflection of plexy glass side.

5. troels_s Oct 28, 2014

Thanks a lot for the replies guys!

I decided to pass on this watch and look for one in better condition :)