Forums Latest Members

Advice needed - Genève vibrating and creaking noise when shaken

1. Andydi May 15, 2019

Hi all, just got a 166.0163 (first vintage watch) and had it serviced . After some inspection when I got the watch back, I noticed two things when I actively shake the watch:
    1. strong vibration almost felt like watch is trembling and causing high frequency vibration noise (almost sounded like a loose parts on a vibrating table);
    2. creaking noise, while I don't think its the rotor rubbing against the caseback, i don't think this is normal for a vintage rotor.

I think I'll have to take it back to the watchmaker but would like to hear some thoughts first so I don't get BS from the watchmaker.

2. Walrus May 16, 2019

Shoot dude wish I could help. Definitely doesn’t sound right. My guy gives a one year warranty on his work hopefully you’d does the same. I hope someone comes along to give better advice I hope it works right

3. Andydi May 16, 2019

So positive reply from the watchmaker (or at least positive attitude), he has 1 year warranty and is happy to take another look. He mentioned it might be the spacer ring holding the movement not in place properly (perhaps bs but I'm no expert). Will update again!

4. Walrus May 16, 2019

I think you will be fine if it’s a nice watch they know what you like and will want to keep you happy. That’s why my guy gives me breaks. I’m giving him two to work on this week he wants me to be happy

5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 16, 2019

Congrats on your first vintage piece! By law you must now post photos of it ;)

JwRosenthal and hoipolloi like this.