Forums Latest Members
  1. 16520 May 30, 2014

I recently joined this forum and I am new to vintage Omegas but from the watches I have seen so far in here I like them all!!Thanks for all the interesting things I read.

Anyway, the reason I am writing is to ask your advice on a possible flightmaster I am considering.
    It is the first version with 910 caliber and no luminous markers at 12 and yellow chrono hands and pushers.

To my untrained eyes the watch seems in fair condition: all functions work as expected, the dial has faded to a light gray and the subdials have aged to a pleasant brown, all hands seem original, the case seems in good condition with original finish still visible although scratches are present, the glass is chipped but a new one is included and it will come with an official Omega extract and a holzer jubilee bracelet.

Now the questions:

1) Crystal. I have seen a few early 910 with a domed plexi glass(see firs pic courtesy of somebody here Maybe....sorry can't find the thread where I downloaded it from) but this one (and lots of others) is instead equipped with a much less domed mineral glass.
    What is the story? Are they both correct? Mineral and plexi? Does one come before the other? Last but not least can one still buy the domed plexi in the pic (which is what I like)?

2) Case. What do you think about the condition of the case on this watch? Unpolished And just worn? Super polished? Fairly polished? Again I have no instrument to judge so I ask those who know better For their opinion.

3) Dial. Dial has faded to gray and the luminous material is missing at 3, 6 and 9.
    is it big deal?Would it be a reason to pass?

4) Case back. I should get the pics soon but from what I read about the early models (and this is indeed one since it has a 29XXX serial nr ) I should expect to see the patent application number engraved on the inside of it (like the one in the second pic, again sorry probably courtesy of somebody else in here) right? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

5) bracelet. The fact that it does not come with its standard 1162(?) bracelet and it comes with this "holzer" jubilee instead, is it consider a "big deal" in terms of originality Or is this bracelet correct as well?
    This is the first flightmaster I saw with this kind of bracelet that is why I am asking.
    How much would it cost to source the correct bracelet and is it worth doing it or is it fine like this? I really like it on the isofrane, what size is it btw?22 or 24 mm?
    is it easy to find? Cost?

thank you in advance for your precious advice!

image.jpg
  2. pascs May 31, 2014

My 145.013 is in worse condition than yours and that was partly the reason I bought mine for the patina. It has a 2913xxxx serial number which is the correct number for the dial.

To me the watch looks original, mine also had the domed crystal. I like the single dot yellow pushers too, replacements have the dot split into yellow and orange.

I believe the original bracelet for the 145.013 is the 1159, 1162 was a later model. Mine actually came with the original perforated leather strap.

I like flightmaster cases with their scars :D and depending on the price, this one looks nice to me

AndreiZ likes this.
  3. 16520 May 31, 2014

Thanks for your comments, I don't mind some scars either:) I just wanted to know more about sourcing bracelet, crystal and the rest of the stuff...
    just found out the end links are 22 mm so the isofrane from the ploprof won't fit:(

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 31, 2014

Actually if you like mesh bracelet, it looks cooler with flightmaster rather than original bracelet.
    I like the dial, it has the right tropical patina amount in the subdial. No worry about the lume...
    The case looks good so no problem there. If there is no problem with movement (Chrono and second hour hand work well) then it come down to the price. Price range is about USD 2500-2800 unserviced.

5. pascs May 31, 2014

The domed crystal is still available to order but I'm sure its sapphire crystal.

The 1162/172 can also be bought new but its not cheap. The 1159 is hard to find. They did come also originally on a perforated leather strap which gives them a retro look. If you want the isofrane look you could buy a new 22mm isofrane but I've always thought the isofrane to be more of a seamaster type strap rather than a flightmaster

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 31, 2014

The crystal for the 145013 is definitely mineral crystal, not sapphire. Part number is 063TN5147 - GLASS MINERAL D36.5 H4.7.

Held in place with an O-ring fit into a groove in the outside diameter of the crystal, like this:

[​IMG]

This requires a tool to compress the O-ring before fitting the crystal in the case, like a piston ring compressor.

An 1162/172 new would be about $350.

Cheers, Al

7. pascs May 31, 2014

Yes it would be mineral, sorry

The O-ring compressor is essential to get the crystal in with the O-ring fitted. I made something similar to achieve the same thing for my MKII Speedmaster which worked ok but alignment was unfortunately out by about half an mm

8. fc2 May 31, 2014

That's a great, very early cal. 910. I have two, one with these very early one color chrono pushers. They later bacame twin colored.

The original bracelet was initially the 1159 and then the 1162. The 1159 bracelet was only produced for one year, and only for the flightmaster (1159/155) and the Speedmaster MkII (1159/154). The watch also has the early, quite rare dial without the dots at 12 o'clock, the same dials featured on the boxes these watches came in. The condition of the dial is awsome, I love it and I really like the brown color.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2014

Bracelet wise I'd actually consider the OMEGA Vintage mesh, its extremely comfortable and looks badass on the Flightmaster case:

[​IMG]

Privateday7 likes this.
  10. 16520 May 31, 2014

There is no difference in price between the early 910 ( no luminous at 12 and yellow chrono buttons) and the later 910 (luminous at 12 and two colours chrono buttons)?

11. 16520 May 31, 2014

Thanks for your comment, since this watch does not come with its original bracelet do you think it should be worth less since, from what I understand, the correct period replacement are not available and if they are they are gonna be very costly

12. 16520 May 31, 2014

thanks but the part number for the crystal you mentioned is it for this crystal in the picture belo image.jpg or for the flatter one (the same as the chipped one currently on the watch)?

13. 16520 May 31, 2014

Thanks I like them both mesh and isofrane, I have a mesh for my ploprof and one for my speedmaster, if I get this I guess I will have 3 mesh, 20,22 and 24 mm:)

14. 16520 May 31, 2014

15. 16520 May 31, 2014

ThAnks everybody for your kind replies.
    last question, how much do you think would be a fair price (not from dealer) for the watch I described considering that it comes with an extra crystal (because the current one is chipped), the Omega extract of archives that it has been serviced and that it is the first series from 1969 but does not have the correct bracelet.

16. fc2 Jun 1, 2014

Yes, but to me personally it doesn't matter since I put all my watches on leather straps. I havn't seen any NOS/new 1159 offered by Omega but I think you can get a NOS/new 1162.

17. fc2 Jun 1, 2014

I'd say mo to that one, simply because most people are not aware of the early one color pushers or non-dot dials. They should cost more if you ask me. I think that the main factor is the condition of the dial since a lot of 910 dials look very bad, I think Omega had problems with these early dials.

18. 16520 Jun 1, 2014

just got the case back pic, everything matches but I see there is something around one side of the caseback, is it a melted gasket or is it just dirt? Is this compatible with a watch that has Just been serviced? another thing, just noticed the bracelet has 20mm end links, shouldn't this watch have 22mm end links?

image.jpg
  19. 16520 Jun 1, 2014

It looks cool! 20 or 22mm? trying to understand.

20. pascs Jun 1, 2014

Case back is off................any movement shots?

The black spots could be dirt, slight old corrosion or old gasket - I'd want to see the receipt for the service before I'd believe it has actually had a service.

Bracelet is 22mm, if a 20mm bracelet is fitted then it will be somewhat loose