Forums Latest Members
  1. tophmon Nov 21, 2013

I would like to find a vintage Omega Seamaster Cosmic (the one with lines between 12 and 6 and 3 and 9) like this one on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Men...216958581?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item1c39180075Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    I have reviewed the threads that are at the top of the forum.
    Any advice on the price range for this model?
    Any advice on how to spot a redial for this model?
    Thoughts on buying from Eastern Block countries, India, Singapore?
    Thank you for the help!
    Topher

2. Lex4TDI4Life Nov 21, 2013

It is either a redial or they merely applied some glops of lume paste on the raised hour markers. I would steer clear.

Maybe, never and never.

India is renowned for its terrible, cheesy redials (often referred to cheekily as "Mumbai Specials"). Singapore is much the same. I have never purchased from eastern europe, but I have seen decent pieces pop up from time to time. There doesnt appear to be the same mass-redialing operation save the Ukraine, which is also known for slapping straps on pocket watches and selling them as vintage wristwatches.

3. ulackfocus Nov 21, 2013

Don't buy from India or Eastern Bloc provinces ever. Be careful with Singapore, but it's not a strict No Fly Zone.

The lines are what we call 'crosshairs'. I want to know who painted the lume on the hour markers? ::puke::

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 21, 2013

I only buy vintage watches from countries where people were rich enough to own more than one watch and have some spared in their drawers.

Countries in the tropics are considered as bad places for vintage watches.

5. tophmon Nov 21, 2013

Thank you for the advice, I will continue to troll Ebay for an appropriate watch with Crosshairs. Is it reasonable to post links to potential watches and ask for advice? I don't want to take burn people out with n00b questions.
    Cheers,
    Topher

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 21, 2013

Absolutely, that's what we're here for.

Welcome to the forum.

7. CdnWatchDoc Nov 21, 2013

Welcome to OF. Be sure to check out the Sales forum for some great deal from trusted sellers. Questions are always good; it's bad when the questions are asked post purchase!:p

8. tophmon Nov 24, 2013

9. tophmon Nov 24, 2013

10. Tritium Nov 24, 2013

They both have a high price for being redials and bad looking movement.

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
  11. tophmon Nov 24, 2013

Tritium,
    Thank you for the input. When looking at photographs of movements am I looking for parts that do not look corroded and are shiney? I don't think I have ever critically looked at the movement of a watch. Is it reasonable to expect that a watch that is 40+ years old will have no signs of age or is this something that can be avoided with regular servicing?
    Topher

12. John R Smith Nov 24, 2013

Omega movements left the factory looking resplendent with the plates and bridges copper-plated, steel gears finished to a high standard with "snailing", and all visible screw heads polished to a mirror finish. If a watch has been properly cared for and serviced regularly, even a sixty-year old Omega movement can look as good today as when it was new. Look also to see that the screw head slots are clean and not "chewed" up by the misuse of ill-fitting screwdrivers. Here is my 28.10 SC movement from 1946 -

Movement-2.jpg

dantaspaulo and tamura like this.
  13. Tritium Nov 24, 2013

There are some factors to take in mind when buying a watch, and not only the dial:

- Dial is always nicer with the original finish (not repainted), and a must for collectors. Black ones are more difficult to find, so that
    you will find most redials painted in black.
    - Movement should be uniform in color, and if possible as mint as the one showed by John, but this is not always possible, and sometimes they
    have some little scratches or imperfections on them, but the ones you showed, are not desirable at all.
    - Case shouldn´t be over polished, so that the edges and lines don´t differ too much from the original design of the case.
    - Price has to be accord to market price.

If you follow all this points, you won´t only have a nice watch, but also a watch that can be resold for the same or similar price in the future, without loosing money.

14. Tritium Nov 24, 2013

Another two examples of a nice looking movement from watches on the for sale section on the forum:

Captura de pantalla 2013-11-25 a la(s) 00.08.16.png

Captura de pantalla 2013-11-25 a la(s) 00.11.40.png

tamura likes this.
  15. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 24, 2013

This one isn't even a Seamaster, its a Geneve with what amounts to be a counterfeit Seamaster dial, this prick does this on a regular basis. Unscrupulous sellers do this to inflate the value of lesser watches taking advantage of uninformed eBay users.

16. ulackfocus Nov 24, 2013

Translated into Noo Joizeyan: Douchebag scammers rip off n00bs.

17. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 24, 2013

And eBay did the right thing this time, removed the listing less than an hour after I reported it.

18. tophmon Nov 25, 2013

19. ulackfocus Nov 25, 2013

20. CdnWatchDoc Nov 25, 2013