Forums Latest Members
  1. staristheanswer Apr 15, 2019

Hello OF members.
    I need some help or any advice if you have time.
    I ordered an amount of 15 Damascus knives from Pakistan.
    Everything went well with the dealer.
    We had good conversation and he also made me 2 folded knives as a gift.
    The package arrived and I got a call from the post office that I have to go at the capital city
    so they can open the package in front of me. (they had scanned the package and saw there were knives there)
    In my country,Albania, is not allowed to make a deal of this kind ,they are cold weapons.
    I went today and tried to make the people of the customs and the security that I want them for resell in my shop and I
    did not know that I would have these kind of troubles and also I have knives that I sell in my shop that I took from suppliers that are located in Albania.
    They said they can't help me and they are obligated to do their work and pass the case to the police.
    I called them and said that we can return the package to the origin destination so I will have no further problems.
    They said if we put the package for shipping in the airport will be stopped from the security of the airport because there are cold weapons in the package.Dead End.
    I want to return the package and receive my money back.
    I already have been stressed and lost money and time with traveling to the capital city today
    Anyone has an advice or had a similar story like this?
    Thanks.

2. CJpickup57 Apr 15, 2019

I think I am confused with the fact you sell knives as a profession in a country that considers them bad weapons and you didn’t know you couldn’t ship them into the country.

I don’t think you have a case to bring up to PayPal to argue given what facts you have specified. According to what you say customs told you, your primary concern should be with what the police want to do moving forward.

Scary issue to say the least. I wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out okay for you.

sdre and staristheanswer like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 15, 2019

Sounds like this is being referred to the police anyway. Why not plead your case to them and see what the outcome is? But why did you not check local laws before buying the merchandise? I think this will be an expensive lesson knives or no knives and that some customs official or cop is going to have some nice knives to sell ......

staristheanswer likes this.
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 15, 2019

Here in the US you can order Damascus knives from Pakistan very cheaply (really, they are only $15 - $35/ ea). How big a bath will you take on this? It doesn't seem like it would be much.

5. Evitzee Apr 15, 2019

Paypal can't help you much as the product was delivered, although confiscated by the authorities. You'll have to find some way to return the knives to the seller and get a credit through Paypal. If you can't do that I'm afraid you'll have to eat the costs of the knives. Anybody who is trying to ship anything that can be considered a weapon (brass knuckles, nunchucks, knives, guns, mace, etc) needs to fully understand the legality of doing so, especially if it is to a different country. After 9/11 the world changed as to how weapons are treated. Some of it good, much of it bad based on hysteria. Good luck.

6. staristheanswer Apr 15, 2019

Each of the knives cost me 33$ more or less

7. staristheanswer Apr 15, 2019

I have a souvenir shop not selling knives.I just wanted to try out a new item on my shop.The customs policeman told me if there were 2 or 3 knives I would let you to take them but 15 are a lot so I am risking my job here.
    I told him do what you have to do.
    So I am now waiting news from the police.
    In the meanwhile I will try to get an authorization from the police so I can trade this kind of knives and maybe I can get them.

8. staristheanswer Apr 15, 2019

Three designs of the knives

DT-18-SK265.jpg DT-18-SK302.jpg DT-18-SK330.jpg
  9. Slowpoker Apr 15, 2019

Lovely knives!

I love how the folding of the steel produces such amazing patterns in the steel.

Unfortunately PayPal can't help you in this case; its not the Sellers fault, it is yours. So unless you can somehow requisition the knives from the Police and send them back, you're at an impasse. It is up to the seller to refund you.

I agree with the Gentleman who said you should be worried about what the Police do. You've essentially just tried to import dangerous weapons into the country. Obviously we know that you just wanted to resell them but this is more serious then that now.

I think you'll be fine, you may not get the knives back but at least you know the law now.

Edited Apr 15, 2019
  10. BenBagbag Apr 15, 2019

If the question is about Albanian law call a lawyer. If you're asking whether you should ask PayPal for your money back you shouldn't. It was on you to know your local laws, take a bath on it.

11. Baco Noir Apr 15, 2019

Yeah, this is a customs/legal issue, not PayPal. Have you contacted the seller to see if he will take them back. Maybe see if he can do so minus shipping costs both ways since it was your mistake or even charge a restocking fee for the hassle too. If returning you keeps you out of trouble with the law, it sounds like the best solution.

Beautiful knives BTW.

12. michael22 Apr 15, 2019

I think it's your mistake, so you wear it. Hopefully the local laws ( that you should now make sure you understand) don't hit you too hard.

Archer likes this.
  13. sdre Apr 15, 2019

Maybe next time, before you add a new item into your inventory; check with your customs what's allowed and what's not allowed?

I'm surprised that as a business owner you haven't thought of this.

Davidt and BenBagbag like this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 15, 2019

Actually it is his fault. As the importer its up to him to know and comply with the rules of his country....

KingCrouchy, Davidt, Foo2rama and 4 others like this.
  15. Slowpoker Apr 15, 2019

Yep, my apologies I've just re-read over my reply and I didn't mean to say it wasn't the OP's fault. Thank you for pointing this out Archer.

Looks like I need to get some sleep..

16. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 15, 2019

Next time call them letter openers.

budgewink and CJpickup57 like this.
  17. staristheanswer Apr 16, 2019

I know it is my fault and that is what I said to the customs policeman I just explained to him that I bought
    two years before a damascus knife and noone said anything to me and I explained that I bought 15 of them because
    I got a wholesale price and if I ordered 4 or 5 I would not get a low price because he said to me if you had 3 or 4 knives I would let you to take them.
    I read the law on how I can import knives at this case.I need an authorization from police.I got a friend and he told me that the papers need two weeks to get such an authorization.I will go these days to make an implication and I hope I get it.I never had any troubles with police or courts at any case.

Baco Noir likes this.