Forums Latest Members

Advice for Upcoming Speedy Pro Mod

1. Mike4881 Sep 10, 2017

Greetings all,

Relatively newbie to the forum here - but find myself browsing almost daily! After getting "bitten" by the Omega bug last year (purchased new PO Good Planet) I'm ready to get a Speedy Pro. Along the way I picked up a gently used Speedmaster Reduced as my beater/weekend errands watch.

I'm interested in doing a very specific mod and would love to get thoughts/suggestions and general guidance. Most likely I will purchase a gently used 3570 to do this mod. Reason being is I'm looking for something not so new that is still under warranty thus causing me to void the warranty by doing this mod. For the dial I'm torn between an Italian off-white or Mitsukoshi. Looks like while both are limited in quantity there are some available through eBay and other private sellers.

For the hand set I really want to incorporate an orange hand/hands. If I get an 3570 with an 861 movement I'm hoping I can use a set like the following that are meant for a Mark II http://r.ebay.com/IEDeAE

Last will be finding a competent watchmaker to put it all together :)

Many thanks in advance. I'm always impressed with the amount of knowledge being shared on OF!

Cheers,
    Michael

StreetTuff likes this.
  2. ac921ol Sep 10, 2017

Orange hand? Don't think that will look good. Here is my mitsu modded speedy.
    IMG_4265.JPG

Mike4881 and djrocco2625 like this.
  3. Travelhomedad Sep 10, 2017

As an OG mitsukoshi owner, I think you can go wrong with either one. Picking up a set of either set of Italian or mitsukoshi mod will be a good investment.

Don't know how adding an orange hand will feel but doesn't hurt to give it a try. Can't wait to see it!

sdre likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 11, 2017

Sporty hands on a classy dial... umm

5. djrocco2625 Sep 11, 2017

I contemplated doing this myself as I have a 3570 and love the mitzukoshi dial. What's preventing me are some of the challenges you raised, namely the person to do the work. I wish you the best of luck with the mod. Just keep all original parts for resale.

6. sdre Sep 11, 2017

Would a speedypro (1861 movement) be fine for the mod?

7. gostang9 Sep 11, 2017

Yes. I did a 3569.31 mod with a modern Speedy.

The key was finding original Omega parts (dial and hand set - I went with the original style silver hands) and then a trustworthy watchmaker as many affiliated with Omega prefer not to modify away from original parts.

8. Mike4881 Sep 11, 2017

That looks really good! I was leaning toward Italian to get the full white dial but every time I see a Mitsu mod I want to go for it.

9. Mike4881 Sep 11, 2017

I hear ya. Been contemplating how to make this work without ruining a lovely watch. I found this pic on Pinterest (not my watch or pic) with a red second hand and I personally think it looks really nice.

Obviously if I do this I'm modding for my personal style. Appreciate all the well-wishes!

tumblr_n47682m46A1qkegsbo1_500.png
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 11, 2017

Big difference between 1 red Chrono hand and all orange...

11. yinzerniner Sep 11, 2017

The only problem with the pic you posted is the color's pretty misleading. The Italian LE dial is a very light cream color, NOT the sparkling white that shown in that photo (which is often referred to as the "Paramedic" mod). The color saturation of the dial will only get accentuated by the hesalite crystal of a 3570, so it will probably look a bit more like the following pic in most conditions (with the exceptions of the main hands):
    [​IMG]

Any competent watchmaker can do the hands swap. And the orange hands are best left to pair with the grey racing dial, as they overpower other dials without the outer color flourishes of the minute track.

12. ac921ol Sep 11, 2017

If I didn't already have a Mitsukoshi mod, and a Japanese racing mod (waiting for speedy donor) I would have done a paramedic mod or at least purchased the dial and hands

13. Albe100 Sep 12, 2017

This has the resemblance to the Alaska Project with its black hands and red second hand. It's quite nice, I've seen some of these for sale on the bay.

I have a Mitsukoshi mod true to the original. Love it! As others said, keep the old parts with the watch, if you buy a full set and decide you want to part with it, it will help.

Let's see how it turns out once done!