Forums Latest Members

Advice For Preserving Conquest Enamel/Medallion?

1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Nov 7, 2013

I have sticky disks for applying to the reverse of watch cases, which in theory reduces wear to the case. However, consider a Conquest with a medallion and enamel (green fish on a stainless model in this example). I think the adhesive might not be good for preserving the delicate (and old) enamel.

So what is your best advice for preserving the enamel and medallion, while still wearing it on occasion?

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 8, 2013

I wouldn't use the permanent style disks, may be a risk of pulling the enamel off when removing the disk.

If it was mine I'd just wear it and then use a clean fresh water on a cotton cloth (just damp) to wipe away any perspiration or beer residue.

Don't use microfibre cleaning cloth, even though it's very soft you risk the fibres catching on the enamel plaque and yanking bits off.

And you know your post is crap without a pic don't you ;)

Samir and rhetoric like this.
  3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 8, 2013

Shave wrist hair... Wax wrist every other day till it shines... Keep on waxing.:D

And I am with Jim on not using the caseback stickers.

Samir likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Nov 8, 2013

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Nov 8, 2013

Who said anything about owning the subject of the example?

What if I'm asking just because I'm curious?

Or because I'm the fool who had the high bid on an example from Austria and I'm placing the sticky cart before the shipped horse? ;)

PICS WHEN IT HAPPENS! Until then I hold mein breath and hope no shenanigans occur...

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 8, 2013

If it has a snap-back ( and some screw backs) you can place a crystal of yet to be determined size over the back, snapping it in place over the back edge. I've done this dozens of times and it works great :thumbsup:

OK, I've never done it, but it sounds like a pretty cool idea eh? :D

rhetoric likes this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 8, 2013

What size do you require :D

P1020188 1.JPG

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Nov 20, 2013

I got an unexpected and welcome surprise from Austria in my office today (California U.S.A.).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PICTURES! IT HAPPENED!

I missed the ending the prior time it was listed but noted a zero-feedback winner. I contacted the seller saying I would match the winning bid if they had problems with their "winner." No word.

Then it got relisted and I contacted the seller again with the previous winning bid through their "make offer" feature. It was rejected.

So I put out a bid and was the high bidder...at the same dang amount as my offer!

Call it what you shill, I mean will, but I was happy to land it at the (inflated) price.

The condition is honest and near mint. It does not appear to have been polished. The finish on the dial is original. The patina is light and even. Another member (whose advice I solicited) noted it may have replacement hands as they appear long. I don't know so I won't comment. But given the whole package, I am satisfied.

Now that this thread is rescued from the depths of picture-free uselessness, what do you do to protect the enamel and gold medallion and still wear it? C'mon now, you've had plenty of time to (not) think about it!

Samir likes this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 20, 2013

Well the solution is obvious.:rolleyes: Send it to me, where I will keep it locked-up and safe as well as provide a written guarantee .:D

Samir and Time Exposure like this.
  10. Hijak Nov 20, 2013

VERY NICE...new to Longines myself but that is a keeper!::love::

11. ulackfocus Nov 20, 2013

Unless you paid triple the market value, that watch is a win even with hands that are a smidge too long. :thumbsup:

Hijak likes this.
  12. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Nov 20, 2013

What's market? Paid $610 +shipping.

13. Hijak Nov 20, 2013

That sounds like a deal to me...it looks great!:thumbsup:

14. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 20, 2013

Actually, the hands are the correct length. What is interesting about this example is that as opposed to most, this version did not feature any luminous material on either the hands or dial. It does appear to be original, though I must say that it is unusual to find so much of the green enamel remaining.

Congratulations!

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 20, 2013

I bet you could find a shade of translucent green color nail polish that would work perfectly on these. :rolleyes:

16. ulackfocus Nov 20, 2013

That's about right so you did well. :thumbsup:

If so, I'd like to know what it is and why more people haven't tried it. ;)

17. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Nov 20, 2013

Hey folks thanks for all the kind words. Here's what I did for protecting the back, and I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't think of it right off.

So the sticky disks I mentioned (that ofrei.com sells for the purpose of protecting the backs)?
    Well, I simply (and patiently) cut a small circle from the sticker about the size of the medallion. I carefully (and I mean tweezer-carefully) peeled off a full size sticker and placed it on the paper sticky-side-up. Then again using tweezers I peeled the small medallion-sized sticker from its backing, and put it sticky-side down in the center of the full size sticker.

Now the center is the non-sticky side in contact with the medallion, and the outer sticky part of the full size sticker is in contact with the area outside the medallion. Capisce?
    [​IMG]
    Don't know why I felt compelled to include a photo when you can't really see anything...

Samir likes this.
  18. ulackfocus Nov 20, 2013

So the medallion portion of the protective plastic sticker has the sticky side facing out? You might lose a few hairs, but it will keep your watch from sliding around on your wrist.

19. CdnWatchDoc Nov 20, 2013

20. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Nov 20, 2013

silly rabbit...:)

There are two full-size stickers involved: an unaltered full-size (26mm) sticker and a smaller (15mm) sticker (cut out of another full-size sticker).

I basically sandwiched the 15mm sticker to the center of the 26mm sticker. Each sticker has its sticky side in contact with the other's sticky side.

So one side is smooth (facing up and in contact with my furry arm), and the other side is sticky along the edge (in contact with the case back) and smooth in the center (in contact with the medallion). See? No adhesive is touching the enamel!

The only hairs I'm losing are the ones falling out of my head trying to explain what I've done!!! :)

Samir likes this.