Forums Latest Members
  1. bigwalleye Nov 17, 2017

Ok, I know there is a ton of threads like this but I have been speedy shopping.

I am drawn to the 145.022 because of the few bracelets I have worn on watches I have not cared for. I figure I'd have a better chance getting along with something lighter with taper, and more adjustment holes. Versus the seemingly heavier and wider current model. Also being honest, the patina on some of the dials is kind of cool!

However alot of the 145s I have been seeing are around 4k. Are these overpriced? Seems like a lot when you can go new for less.

Are my concerns about the bracelets legit? I bet I'd end up with a strap anyway. Can you fit a vintage bracelet to a newer speedy?

Part of me says to either go new or jump on the first 3570 for a fair price. The other says wait to find a cheaper 145.022, but idk if one would fit my budget especially if it needs service immediately.

Thanks for reading.

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 17, 2017

Welcome

Another 3 months of research just for asking the above question ;)

Buy the 3570
    as otherwise your waiting for vintage watches and bracelets that are both climbing in price quiet quickly in the last few years to start falling ( not gunna happen at the moment )

dan7800 and bigwalleye like this.
  3. bigwalleye Nov 17, 2017

Thanks for humoring me. :)

Pretty much confirmed my feelings. A newer watch would probably give me more peace of mind. After looking at tons of current and old listings it seems as the prices for vintage go up every month!

4. dan7800 Nov 18, 2017

I seem to be in the same boat as you. While I'd love a 321, I also want a watch I am not worried about wearing.

I'd agree, the vintage market has risen rapidly over the last few years, even for not so collectable speedies. Wondering if they will go down is like wondering if a stock will rise or fall :)

Welcome to the forum.

5. Speedy_Gonzales Nov 18, 2017

Go with a 3570 and source a JB Champion bracelet with horned lugs. Then you would have the best of both worlds.

STANDY, SteveB and bigwalleye like this.
  6. ac106 Nov 18, 2017

19mm bracelet
    20mm lugs

For me, the JB Champion only seems right on the straight lugged speedys.

For the OP: consider a 3590 with tritium that will develop the patina that watch nerds love. They can be found for less that the 145.022.

I think these will eventually become sought after as a “transitional”’reference. Maybe not crazy prices like 321s but will def be valued over luminova 3570s

A bracelet from this reference may also be what you are looking for.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 18, 2017

I think you should get yourself a new manual wind speedy. Even if you had a 145 022 with a bracelet it’s not going to be a watch that can get near water.

8. dan7800 Nov 18, 2017

Could we consider 861 speedies to generally be safe from heavy rains etc....?

9. ac921ol Nov 18, 2017

If I c ant wear a watch in a rainstorm, I'd be pissed.
    I wear my 861 every wear not a pool yet, I have a PO and AT for that, so doubt I would

dan7800 likes this.
  10. Speedy_Gonzales Nov 18, 2017

Heck if I know I'm going to the pool I'm going to throw on my SKX. Not sure chlorine is all that great on gaskets even if the watch is water resistant to 100+meters.

11. ac106 Nov 18, 2017

It’s the same watch. How is water resistance different ?

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 18, 2017

Are you serious? A vintage watch vs a new watch are the same? :confused: Unless you are feeling very confident that the condition and your watchmaker is up to scratch, I would never take a vintage watch anywhere near water. A new watch is a better bet as a daily wearer.

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. ac106 Nov 18, 2017

Why yes I’m serious

14. Speedy_Gonzales Nov 18, 2017

After getting my 60s Constellation serviced by Nesbits (a reputable watch repair store) they recommend that even though they replaced the gaskets I should take off the watch even when washing my hands because the case had some minor pitting around the caseback.

Larry S likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 18, 2017

You can't assume an older watch is either water resistant or not. It will depend entirely on the condition of the watch case and how recently the seals have been replaced. I service plenty of vintage watches that are fully water resistant when they leave my shop, but certainly others are not.

Keep in mind that even with new watches, they should be regularly pressure tested, and periodically should have the seals changed. Water resistance is not a permanent feature, and must be maintained.

Cheers, Al

Larry S, dan7800, Foo2rama and 2 others like this.
  16. ConElPueblo Nov 18, 2017

I had a 60's Constellation pass a water resistance test once, should have taken the opportunity to get a few underwater snaps, complete with NATO strap :D

SeanO and Larry S like this.
  17. Ninja2789 Nov 19, 2017

welcome to the forum. If you like the style of the older speedies (<42mm, applied dial, etc) there are other options out there.

Both the 60th reissue as well as the FOIS are great modern speedies that take what i love about the vintage speedmasters and bring it into the modern world. The 60th can be purchased on the secondary market for around $8-8.4 and the FOIS can be had from $3-3.5.

Good luck hunting!

bigwalleye likes this.
  18. bigwalleye Nov 24, 2017

thanks for all the suggestions and insight. took delivery of a 3570 with recent service today! i really like the FOiS but lower price on the pro won. 2 hours in and I am very happy with the choice!

MVIMG_20171124_152308.jpg
    dan7800 and Mozziebite like this.
  19. Moadib Nov 25, 2017

Great choice! I also looked a lot at the FOIS, but.....Pro is Pro, and the wearability and legibility of them is superb. Still amazing that a design from 50 years ago looks so sharp and relevant today.

bigwalleye and GordonL like this.
  20. GordonL Nov 25, 2017

Good decision IMHO. I came to the same conclusion and have never regretted it.

bigwalleye likes this.