Advice for first Constellation (168.005)

Hello all,

Last year I developed a big interest in Omega brand watches and now I would like to add another watch to my collection. This time it will be an Omega Constellation 168.005. I found the following one.
The owner wants 1200€ for it.

IMG_8234.jpg IMG_8235.jpg IMG_8232.jpg IMG_8233.jpg

Do you think this would be a good deal? I am not a collector, but the watch should still be in a good condition.
I don't have the opportunity to look at the watch because it is almost 1000 kilometers away from me. Unfortunately there are no papers or receipts for revisions made. According to the owner, the watch should run normally and show no abnormalities.

I look forward to your advice and tips.

Best Greetings
Paul

Quite a bad redial. Pass on this one and keep looking.

You can certainly do better.

It's the lettering of the dial markings. It looks like I did it freehand.

Check out Desmond’s blog to get you started on learning what to look for.
https://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/?m=0

Also, I’d recommend finding some pristine examples of the reference here or elsewhere online that you know are legit and save some photos. Then you can do side by side image comparisons when searching. There are tons of high quality images posted here.

As others have said, poor redial. Also, it looks like it’s been over-polished. Take a look at the observatory medallion on the caseback. There’s supposed to be eight clear and distinct stars, but at least four of them are far from sharp clear lines, with one being almost completely gone. Find a picture of a medallion in good condition, and you’ll see the difference. Night and day

+1 re the dial, but also the caseback is part of the immense charm and prestige of these watches: look at some sharp ones and you will see why this one is unacceptable. [Edit - for the reasons given by @CanadianLobster while I was writing this.] Good luck with the hunt!

Like the others said above, this watch has a poor re-paint dial (the whole dial look fake imo), wrong crown, polished, etc. Not a good buy. I have a similar Ref. here for your comparison.

Goodluck.

Run. That’s an awful dial.

If you’re not able to identify that as a bad redial (no shame in that, it takes time) make sure you flag any potential purchase here.

Run. That’s an awful dial.

If you’re not able to identify that as a bad redial (no shame in that, it takes time) make sure you flag any potential purchase here.

Agreed. Keep on studying references you are interested in and posting here watches before buying them.
Happy hunting😀

All said here, I guess, but re the medallion, look at this for a comparison:

F6C4FA38-146C-45A5-BC9D-D849D3AF57F3.jpeg 104CE1F3-CFD2-473A-A4C4-C2FE3667EC06.jpeg

Welcome here, and keep hunting : this one is definitely not worth the money the seller is asking !

Thank you for all the advice and tips. I will continue my search. I hope to find my dream watch before my wedding in July.
If any of you find something or have such a model on offer, please contact me.

I am in the same situation, though I have been married since 35 years .... 😉
Having said that, and being a newbie in my search for a Pan Pie Dog Leg Connie, I had lengthy discussions here already and can share with you my strategy as a result :
- 1st priority : immaculate dial
- 2nd priority : sharp edged case and lugs
- 3rd priority : detailed Medallion
These because you cannot change that afterwards, this stays with your watch
- then : correct crown, hands
Best of luck in your search !

Hey guys,

i found another good looking constellation.

Screenshot 2023-04-18 234056.png Screenshot 2023-04-18 234303.png Screenshot 2023-04-18 234454.png Screenshot 2023-04-18 234516.png

What do you think about the watch? The seller actually wants 2500€, maybe i can negotiate for a better price. What price would in your opinion be a fair price? The watch is serviced and has a warranty until the end of 2023. It´s quite hard to get a good looking gold plated or full gold 168.005 in Europe. Many sellers from the states or Japan dont ship to europe, too. And if they do, i have to pay almost 20 percent taxes on the watches.

Thank you again for your help!

2500€ is a lot of money for a gold-capped date dogleg. To me, 1000€ less wouldn’t feel like a bargain, also considering the lugs are actually pretty polished.

Question is: would you prefer to invest money or time? If you’re patient and keep on hunting, it’s very likely a good one will pop up on auction somewhere and you can pick it up for significantly less. There’s no way this example would achieve much more than 1.5k on eBay, and especially the date versions 14902 and 168.005 are relatively common.

Now, if you say you want one now, you don’t mind the price tag because it’ll be your one watch and also, you’ll stop looking after the purchase so you won’t be bothered by the polished lugs in the foreseeable future then there are definitely worse deals out there. A good deal this still isn’t, though.

Maybe @gbesq or @TheGreekPhysique can show us a pic of what the lugs on a sharp example look like. 😀

Maybe @gbesq or @TheGreekPhysique can show us a pic of what the lugs on a sharp example look like.

Here’s mine.

upload_2023-4-18_22-14-2.png

You can see that there is actually a mirrored edge to both the lugs and bezel. This is a solid 14K gold case. More sharp edges here:

upload_2023-4-18_22-17-44.png

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

14k was mainly for the US market, right ? Probably an interesting option as it combines the advantages of a gold aspect and the higher resistance to scratches of a stainless steel one vs 18k ?
I haven't had any 14k in hand until now, but I guess the 14k gold is more in the "greenish" vs 18k more yellow ?

I have 14K and 18K watches. No difference in color.

Gold coloration is caused by a lot of factors, the most important of which are the elements used to alloy the gold.

My watch is yellow gold. The coloration you see is from games I was playing with lighting and shadows to emphasize the finish on the lugs and bezel.
gatorcpa