Advice for an Omega Geneve 166.0169

I just bought this Omega Geneve today, pretty much on impulse. The watch is clearly due for a service and I would like to restore it with the intent of wearing it and possibly selling it if the price is right. This is my first "luxury" watch if it could be classified that way.

I was planning on having the watch polished and replated since the finish has faded and there are various signs of wear.

Next on I've also been scouring the internet for replacement parts. The most important to me are currently the crystal and the crown. I've found the pieces for sale on ebay, chrono24, and other marketplaces exclusive to watchmakers, they are said to fit the ref. 166.0169. But since I'm a novice I'm not sure if there are different aspects I should be paying attention to such as the caliber, diameter, etc.

The pieces are the following:

063PX5241 : Glass replacement with tension ring

069LD42052 : Omega Crown

Are they the correct ones for the watch?

I will also probably be changing the strap. I noticed that buying directly from Omega is going to cost me twice as much as I'm going to spend on getting the watch to a state I'm content with. What would be the implications of buying a more affordable option?

Here are some photos of piece

I appreciate all the help and recommendations in advance. IMG_20230102_164854.jpg IMG_20230102_164837.jpg IMG_20230102_164844.jpg IMG_20230102_164823.jpg

I hope you didn’t pay too much and if you’re able to return it for a refund, that would be best

You don’t post a photo of the movement but the case, crown and crystal are in poor shape and look, to me, as though whatever you spend on this the watch really won’t be worth it.

It's also not a particularly collectible late 70s 80s model.

Sad really, and there’s little consolation in being told that on OF, we call it the 'noob tax', and quite a few of us have paid in the early days of collecting.

I just bought this Omega Geneve today, pretty much on impulse. The watch is clearly due for a service and I would like to restore it with the intent of wearing it and possibly selling it if the price is right. This is my first "luxury" watch if it could be classified that way.

As @Spruce suggested, I don't feel that this is a watch worth investing further time, energy, and definitely not money. If you have any thoughts of selling it, then certainly don't invest anything, you can only lose money.

If you want to restore a watch in rough condition, I'd suggest starting with something that has a higher upside, like a stainless steel watch from a more desirable period in Omega's history.

Thank you for the recommendations, even though they are not the best new to hear.

I have these two pictures of the movement and the back of the case, which I may note has been working well for a couple of hours since I set it.

So, would the overall recommendation be to sell it instead of restoring it?

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-02 at 6.40.41 PM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-01-02 at 6.40.41 PM.jpeg

https://www.ebay.de/itm/25588694014...JxnDeyNRhm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Here’s a very similar one, albeit in much better condition, that’s just sold for 350$. @dsio posted it on the recommended vintage omegas on eBay thread.

Even if you paid very little on yours, restoring it won’t make financial sense I’m afraid, as said above. Having the case replated alone might cost as you as much as a good example. Plus parts etc…

Generally, regarding straps: There’s absolutely no need for an Omega one. There are plenty of offers for good leather straps for a fraction of the price. And you can always get an Omega clasp to match, if you want.

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Thank you for the recommendations, even though they are not the best new to hear.

I have these two pictures of the movement and the back of the case, which I may note has been working well for a couple of hours since I set it.

So, would the overall recommendation be to sell it instead of restoring it?

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-02 at 6.40.41 PM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-01-02 at 6.40.41 PM.jpeg

I certainly would not rush into restoring it. Since it is running well, how do you feel about using it for a while to see how you like it?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/25588694014...JxnDeyNRhm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Here’s a very similar one, albeit in much better condition, that’s just sold for 350$. @dsio posted it on the recommended vintage omegas on eBay thread.

Even if you paid very little on yours, restoring it won’t make financial sense I’m afraid, as said above. Having the case replated alone might cost as you as much as a good example. Plus parts etc…

Generally, regarding straps: There’s absolutely no need for an Omega one. There are plenty of offers for good leather straps for a fraction of the price. And you can always get an Omega clasp to match, if you want.

Yea look these ARE good watches if you buy a nice steel one or a gold-plate example with no wear-through. The problem with gold-plate is that it is almost never economically viable to re-plate a watch like this, once the plating has wear, that’s it and the watch is effectively parts only.

The one I posted that MTV is linking has a nice case and is perfectly wearable but the OP’s watch is just not worth saving sadly.

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
…True it’s not a collectible piece, and it’s not a good investment decision to do much or anything to this watch.

BUT: clearly, something about it spoke to you. If it was merely the seduction of owning a “luxury” watch, or if it was the prospect of flipping it, then your best bet is indeed to cut losses. If it was something more than that, though—if you were really drawn to it emotionally—there’s something kind of cool about restoring it and wearing it. It’ll combine the mystique of a vintage piece (that watch has clearly had a life!—how wonderful) with the fresh start of a new one. Is it a good financial decision? No. But it could be a good emotional one—if the watch really appeals.