Forums Latest Members

Advice for an Angelus chronodato

1. P.Greg Jun 26, 2017

Hi everyone,

I've found an Angelus Chronodato on a local bidding site. I don't have a lot of pictures but I've seen and test the watch.

The case and the dial are very good but the crown (look original to me) is slightly crooked. Furthermore, the chrono didn't reset at 0 but at 55.
    The seller stated he hasn't serviced it.

He's asking 1000€ for it. What's you opinion about this watch ? Does it worth the asking price and what could be the price of a service for such a chrono ?

Here's a picture (not quite clear)
    IMG_1389.JPG

Thank you for your help.

2. Oku Jun 26, 2017

What's the condition of the dial? It is hard to judge from the pic.
    I guess it is gold plated?
    Service should be north of 300 Euros.

3. sxl2004 Jun 26, 2017

One would need better pics to voice an opinion.
    Is the watch gold plated?
    The crooked crown is likely to be a bent winding stem.
    Case back and dial pictures will be helpful.

4. P.Greg Jun 27, 2017

Thank ou for your reactions.

@Oku I've seen the watch personally. The dial is pretty good and the case too.

Yes, it's gold plated, there are 2 versions of this model. One is stainless steel and the other is gold plated.

It will be hard to get more pictures as the owner is a quite old man that do not manage well the technology.

Do you think the service will resolve the problem of the reset of the chrono ?

Many thanks

5. Oku Jun 27, 2017

There are also Chronodatos with gold cases, not only plated and steel.
    If the dial is really good, the price is ok. I have seen several of the gold plated versions being sold for that price.
    Concerning the reset: So it always resets to 55 seconds? We cannot look into the watch so we don't know what problems there are. But if it always resets to the same time, my guess is that the chrono hand just has to be adjusted.

P.Greg and sxl2004 like this.
  6. P.Greg Jun 27, 2017

Yes, by making some additional researches, I've found some model with a gold case. Therefore, there are 3 versions :whistling:

I've reset the chrono 3 times and he always reset at 55 second (or 11h).

Thank you for your help ;)

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 27, 2017

Looks ok. A service will correct the chrono hand. It is unreasonable to expect a Watch to function perfectly unless you have a documented service history.

P.Greg likes this.