Forums Latest Members

Advice/comment on this LeCoultre manual wind (18k; 50-60s?)

1. tommymcd Nov 3, 2016

Any comment on condition, authenticity, and desirability of this LeCoultre men's wristwatch is welcome
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's what I can find out:
    • JLC made for the US market: the LeCoultre on the dial; VXN on movement
    • K818/CW caliber seems to place this piece in the 50s or 60s (would serial # help? I read it doesn't with LeCoultre)
    • 33mm
    • strap and buckle aftermarket
    • is the crown all right? did JLC sign their US crowns back then?

I'd love to hear the community's thoughts on dating, originality of parts, originality of dial (it looks like it's not been refinished), overall authenticity, condition etc. Brutal honesty is appreciated!

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 3, 2016

Looks all original to me. Just can't see if it says "Swiss" at the bottom of the dial (it should).

Dates from 1960's. Bezel engraving is called "Florentine".

18K US cased LeCoultre watches are unusual, but they did make them.

Very nice,
    gatorcpa

Vitezi and tommymcd like this.
  3. tommymcd Nov 3, 2016

Thanks, very helpful information!

4. tommymcd Nov 3, 2016

I know Jaeger LeCoultre made many thin dress watches in the day (and still does), does this count as one of the thin models?

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 3, 2016

Not the thinnest model they made, but some of the thinner ones used the same movement.
    gatorcpa

6. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Nov 3, 2016

Just curious -- is that movement original to that case? It looks like brackets and screws that were originally around the perimeter of the case have been taken out, and the movement has two screw holes around its perimeter that are not being used. Or is that just the result of routine service and repairs over the years?

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 3, 2016

The screw holes were for case clamps which were not being used with this watch. A number of manufacturers started using what essentially were ladies watch movements in these smaller and thinner men's watches in the 1950's and 1960's. The dials had the feet closer to the center to accommodate these smaller diameter movements, but that meant there was no way to attach the movement to the outside rim of the case.

Of course, some ladies' watches used these clamps, and on those models, the screw holes were occupied.
    gatorcpa

Vitezi and mozartman like this.
  8. DManzaluni Nov 21, 2016

Though your crown looks a bit too large for the cavity in the (American) case, I just picked up a black dial late 1940s JLC with the same case/crown configuration

al128 likes this.