Forums Latest Members

Advice: Best way to sell a bunch of Vintage Constellation, Seamaster, Geneve & Dynamic Cases

1. IMeasure Feb 5, 2019

Hi Guys

You have all been a great help in the past. I have amassed a bunch of Vintage Omega cases Constellation (2), Seamaster (6), Geneve (2), Dynamic Cases (2). What do you think is the best option to sell them?

1. On this Forum
    2. Ebay using a traditional Auction (starting at $1)
    3. Ebay Fixed Price
    4. Ebay Fixed Price with Make an offer option

Any other method?

I have had some good success in the past with ebay traditional auction starting at $1.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

Edited Feb 5, 2019
  2. BenBagbag Feb 5, 2019

You've been here for over 3 years. What have you learned in your time here?

GuiltyBoomerang and sdre like this.
  3. Davidt Feb 5, 2019

You won't be able to sell on the forum unfortunately as you don't have the require no of posts.

For a quick sale list them on eBay in no reserve auction. To get a better price list them buy it now with best offer but it will probably take longer.

Mark020 and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  4. IMeasure Feb 5, 2019

Yep I have been in and out for a couple of years but I collect vintage Seiko's and I'm not versed in selling into the omega market.

5. WYO_Watch Feb 5, 2019

Dan

It all depends on what the watch is, it’s condition, what you want for it, or if you even know what you want. Ebay will let you sell anything and likely has the widest reaching market. Of course it thinks the value it brings to the table should cost you 10% of the final value and another 10% of what you charged for shipping. On the other hand to sell on the forum you need to have 200 posts and follow the listing rules (saw a bump violator today). So if you go the forum route you’ll need to get more posts (slowly).

If you don’t know what the watch is worth or don’t have an amount you for sure want from it, toss it in the bay with no reserve and take good pictures. If you know what you want value wise from a piece list it as a buy it now and take good pictures. If you know a range, list it as a buy it now with a best offer option and take good pictures.

I tend to sell lower priced pieces on eBay (few vintage divers and some lesser Omegas for example). But for higher priced items I tend to list them on the forum so other members can get a nice piece and avoid the premium I would have to mark it up listing it on eBay.

I’ve never had any problems selling watches on the forum. Every once and a while a new member will waste a significant amount asking for pictures and information, but that’s life. Even though I am far from an expert, hardly a novice, an honest well priced watch will find a buyer.

connieseamaster and qboa like this.
  6. WYO_Watch Feb 5, 2019

@IMeasure I also have this feeling that this post will get removed as an attempt to solicit back door deals. If I were you I’d go ahead and edit your post to remove the list of cases you want to sell as to not raise any suspicion. We don’t really need the detailed case list to answer your question. Just my final .02

adi4, Dan S and qboa like this.
  7. IMeasure Feb 5, 2019

Thanks for the heads up. I will edit out the case details.

Cheers

Dan

WYO_Watch likes this.
  8. IMeasure Feb 5, 2019

Done!

9. IMeasure Feb 5, 2019

Thanks for the advice. 200 post count is definitely up there! I spend way too much time posting over at thewatchsite.com & reddit regarding all things related to vintage Seiko. Ebay is looking like my only option for now with a realistic buy it now price. I have sold a bit of Seiko gear there, but I know what its worth so its a lot easier. I guess its now time for me to do some research regarding vintage omega's.

10. WYO_Watch Feb 5, 2019

You’ll get there - plenty of Seiko fans around here too. But definitely figure out some values if you’re listing them as a buy it now. I once sold a stainless Beads of Rice bracelet for $65 :unsure: have bought some since for 3x that...

11. IMeasure Feb 5, 2019

Its been crazy watching prices go up over the last couple of years for the big brands. Vintage Rolex, Omega and Cartier have been on the up and up, but it looks like a struggle for the second tier swiss brands. As a percentage increase quality vintage Seiko divers and chronographs have jumped substantially. My day job is large scale precision engineering. My past-time is watchmaking. My wife thinks i'm insane. I, like most people here are overly passionate!

KingCrouchy, WYO_Watch and hoipolloi like this.
  12. Chewbakkka Feb 6, 2019

I would go for the Ebay with fixed realistic price. Good pictures and a good title are worth gold. And then it's waiting :) Sometimes a couple of days and sometimes some months. If it's very specific, you need that one watchmaker looking for that certain piece

BenBagbag likes this.
  13. TimtimeIntl Feb 6, 2019

I agree with fixed but then it requires research for every item to bracket correctly. it's been over a decade, but I always did better than the average ebayer by just starting at $.99 and letting it run. But that was premium listings for good stuff with lots of laboriously taken images and really slinging it. I had a buyer ask if he could keep my write-up:) But too labor intensive for bunch of cases, unless you have one that makes a valuable watch.

14. IMeasure Feb 6, 2019

Thanks for the advice guys!

I'm going to do a combination of traditional Auctions and fixed price. For the two Constellation cases - as they are will known and much sort after references I'm going to list them at $.99 and let them run for 10 days. For the remaining cases I will determine the demand, if they are desirable then I will also list them as a traditional auction, but if they are in less demand I will list them with a buy it an appropriate price and let them run until someone who needs the case is willing to buy it.

Cheers,

Dan