Forums Latest Members
  1. lillatroll May 13, 2015

Hello,
    I don t visit this part of the forum often, but I am hoping you might be able to help. I am going to buy a new compact camera and and wonder if anyone has some recommendations. I am looking to spend upto around 500 pounds or 800usd. Now so far I have found a few sony cameras and a lecia camera and a few panasonic cameras. I just want it for holiday snaps and I want it to be small and lightweight and reasonably easy to use.

I have done some research and found that with this budget I will get a camera that takes excellent pictures. I am not sure if I need to spend this much on a holiday camera but I don't want to buy a poor quality camera. I bought one two years ago that was about 200 pound but it is broken so I am intrested in build quality although I know that doesn t mean a 500 pound camera will be less likely to break.
    Thanks in advance for your input it is appreciated.

noelekal likes this.
  2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 13, 2015

I have had many expensive cameras.

Right now I have an OMD which is brilliant.
    My mother is a pro photographer.

We both now use Iphone 6+ as for photos for everything, including all but very close watch shots, (and I mean very close), the 6+ is better.

I wish it wasnt true, because I do like to buy a good toy.....the 6+ is simply better than any camera.

lenny and lillatroll like this.
  3. lillatroll May 13, 2015

I think my wife would suspect that I was just trying to buy another device. One thing that in my experience,counts against apple products, is that after a few years they don t allow you to update the software so the product becomes obsolete quicker.
    Apologies for my ignorence but is OMD a brand or a camera model range?

4. micampe May 13, 2015

Olympus OM-D. I have the E-M10. Highly recommended as a camera, the system has several great lenses available, but I agree about @Spacefruit comments on the iPhone (and disagree with yours). I also have an Olloclip and can make 10x and 15x macros with it.

IMG_0197.jpg

lillatroll likes this.
  5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 13, 2015

6. threeputtbogey May 13, 2015

I am no expert but I have a Canon T3i that I love and is easy to use.

lillatroll likes this.
  7. TNTwatch May 13, 2015

Smart phones for convenience, otherwise RX100-III or LX100 for quality and flexibility, take your pick.

lillatroll likes this.
  8. lillatroll May 13, 2015

I don't think we will be going down the mobile phone route especially as our phones are only a few months old but Sony get excellent reviews for their compact cameras.

9. alam May 13, 2015

This site provides excellent and in depth reviews http://m.dpreview.com/

lillatroll likes this.
  10. woodwkr2 May 13, 2015

I'm in love with my Fuji X-100 (the original version). You could pick up one of the earlier models for under budget and would be quite pleased if you love good IQ wrapped up in a classic package.

Here's some of my results: byrondubow.tumblr.com

travisrock, lillatroll and lenny like this.
  11. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 13, 2015

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS19, which I believe is now discontinued. Leica lens. Very nice pictures I get from it.

Tom

lillatroll likes this.
  12. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 13, 2015

Thanks lillatroll, for starting this thread. I've had this question for some time and am enjoying the responses.

lillatroll likes this.
  13. micampe May 13, 2015

I’ll admit I didn’t read your question carefully the first time. With your requirements I think you should look at this list http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6657172030/high-end-pocketable-compacts-2014-roundup

In my opinion Canon cameras (like the G7 and S120 in the article) work better for those use cases. They are small enough to fit in pockets and not be annoying (so you carry it around and not leave it in a drawer), they are clever and can take decent pictures in most situations without much input on your part, and the results are pleasing without needing post processing. I would avoid Fuji and Nikon, they tend to have confusing menus and controls in their compacts lines. Sony RX-100 are also great cameras, builkier than the Canon, but they also give better results overall, thanks to the significantly larger sensor inside.

LastMan likes this.
  14. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 13, 2015

I usually go for good qualty German lenses. Schneider-Kreuznach, Leitz (Leica), and Carl Zeiss are all indicators that the camera manufacturer did their best to get the best lens that they can.

This is not to say that lenses made by Canon or Nikon are junk... just that I love the "look" and quality of a good German lens.

Tom

Mare10 and lillatroll like this.
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 13, 2015

I have a couple of Panasonic/Lumix compacts. They are brilliant for snapshots and quite capable when doing watch pictures.

I'll dig it up later and let you know.

lillatroll likes this.
  16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 13, 2015

I usually shoot professional Canon cameras. However given your budget and level, I have to agree with the the Olympus OM-D 4/3 camera. Also for you to look at are the Panasonic Lumix 4/3 cameras. As both are four thirds systems their lens are interchangeable, a great bonus. Both systems will give you great images and offer a lot of versatility.

LastMan, noelekal and lillatroll like this.
  17. alfanator May 13, 2015

Panasonic Lumix LX-7 has served me well. I use it for watch shots. Lens is fast enough for indoor poor light condition.

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 14, 2015

You said a compact camera.

panasonic_lumix_dmc_tz30_review-275x200.jpg

Value wise, I think this is one of the best (well, it was when I bought it).

Perfect pocket size.

See here for more info.

19. lillatroll May 14, 2015

This seems to fit the bill perfectly, we are going to wait until we arrive at our first port of call so that we can see the cameras physically and get a feel for them. Thanks for the tip :)

20. LastMan May 23, 2015

The OM-Ds are great but they are interchangeable lens cameras. I love micro 4/3s ... I shoot film with them... but for a compact.. you can get the Canon S120 for under 200 pounds.. I had the earlier models S95 and S100 which had a lens error develop but apparently the S120 is devoid of this and is truly compact.
    I now have the Sony RX100-I which is slightly bigger but takes great pictures. The other versions of this are great too, but bigger.
    The Panasonic LX7 looks good too and has a much longer zoom.
    You should be able to find all 3 at any airport and try out the size and weight.